There are 244 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by ratchoke:
When your name brand is ruined, you yourself is ruined, or at least many opportunities are... How do you not understand this concept already?... And for the record it's not MY concept, it's societies concept. I don't necessarily AGREE with it, I've just learned to accept it. You not learning to accept this truth is your problem, not mine.

If I ran a company and the CFO I was interviewing was recently accused of embezzlement... do you think I'm hiring him, even though he was found not guilty? Why take that chance.... hahaha.

Last time i looked most CFO's on wall street have been accused of multiple SEC violations and accused of embezzlement multiple times. They usually just get a small fine and go back to making hundreds of millions a year.
I never argued whether or not it was too harsh or not harsh enough. I simply responded to a post, which was falsely stating that it was 9 games for ONLY ONE DUI......

O I got you. Now had others been punished as severely I would have no problem but in light of other punishment meted out from Goodell I was infuriated but I am proud of our guys for fighting through it and hanging in there regardless. We need Aldon back though before our luck runs out
Free my boy Aldon!
Originally posted by iceberg450r:
Last time i looked most CFO's on wall street have been accused of multiple SEC violations and accused of embezzlement multiple times. They usually just get a small fine and go back to making hundreds of millions a year.

Probably because sports media doesn't dedicate the entire summer dumping on them about their violations. Aldon Smith talk dominated this summer to the point where LeBron James had to take a backseat even though he just lost his third NBA Finals series. Its like people were lining up waiting for him to fail. They made Aldon Smith headline news all this offseason
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Probably because sports media doesn't dedicate the entire summer dumping on them about their violations. Aldon Smith talk dominated this summer to the point where LeBron James had to take a backseat even though he just lost his third NBA Finals series. Its like people were lining up waiting for him to fail. They made Aldon Smith headline news all this offseason

Totally Agree!

Hahaha... well that is another problem all on it's own. I'd make another analogy, but I'm too lazy.. Hopefully, you still get what I was trying to convey.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Or...you could go to Singapore...smoke a reefer...and be put to death. Laws are local, state and federal--which every citizen is required to follow and ignorance being no excuse before the law. Speed laws vary from state to state and even area to area...are you suggesting we all be allowed to drive 80 MPH through SF becuase we are allowed to do so on some state roads?
What I'm saying is that Aldons weapons are federally licensed and federally legal. DUIs are unacceptable but he did seek treatment, hasn't had any other incidents with alcohol (that I know of) and further more Godell said that his five-games that he had spent in rehab would go towards his suspension.
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Both those DUI's could have ended in him killing someone or himself. This dude smashed into a tree for crying out loud........And yes, as a PR standpoint he IS a liability. If you are representing someone with as much name power as him. Do you really want him being in the news as much as he is for DUI's, illegal firearms, saying bomb on the plane?..... Whether or not he is guilty is irrelevant, all that matters is that he was 'accused' of this. Unfortunately, this is the world we live in, accept it.

Why should I accept it when things don't add up. As for Aldons DUI that happened last in 2013! He immediately sought professional help to the tune of five games missed for his alcoholism. He got real and substantial help! That should have been highlighted by the NFL. Not him hitting the tree but him hitting the rehab to fix it. If folk want to swim in ish why should we accept it? There were greater crimes committed in the NFL and rampant PED usage in the NFL yet the media centered itself on Aldon and his mostly petty criminal activities. For all the mistakes Aldon has made it seems the commissioner himself has done WAY more damage to the shield than Aldon ever has. Aldons punishment for nonviolent offenses was unprecedented and the charge was led by the media. Yes Aldons dumb behavior presented this opportunity for them to pounce but this guy was truly struggling with maturation as a man and all anyone could do was point the finger and laugh. SMH. He wasn't a murderer woman beater PED user cheater or violent offender. He is an alcoholic with a gun fetish. He made dumb mistakes but what Goodell has been accused of is far worse for the shield but because he is making select owners a ton of dough he gets handled with kid gloves

"Whether or not he is guilty is irrelevant, all that matters is that he was 'accused' of this. Unfortunately, this is the world we live in, accept it"......
Really dude! that's scary if you really believe that. I doubt you will feel the same way if your accused of a crime you didn't commit in the future.

I'm not defending Smith because he certainly made some stupid mistakes and deserved to be punished. But statements like that are just an example of the problems in this country right now.

This. The attitude that this is the way it is and you might as well except it is defeatist and ignorant at best. You might as well not vote your guys not going to win anyway. Let's just start excepting murder and stealing and drug dealing because it's going to happen anyway just except it. If you don't stand up and at least make a statement for what is right then you are part of the problem. If it's all about perception then I perceive people that just except it as pussies.
Originally posted by Andra:
This. The attitude that this is the way it is and you might as well except it is defeatist and ignorant at best. You might as well not vote your guys not going to win anyway. Let's just start excepting murder and stealing and drug dealing because it's going to happen anyway just except it. If you don't stand up and at least make a statement for what is right then you are part of the problem. If it's all about perception then I perceive people that just except it as pussies.

You probably think if George Zimmerman met the qualifications to become an officer, you'd 'stand-up' and fight for his right to be one. I mean, he was found innocent after all, right?.....
[ Edited by ratchoke on Oct 25, 2014 at 10:40 AM ]
It's a multitude of events.....His multiple DUI's, the airplane, the illegal firearms (or rather unregistered). It's not just 'A' DUI. Aldon is a walking liability to the Niners and NFL brand.

I love the guy, and would be sad to see him go, but let us not pretend like there is some form of fix against the Niners, or that he's being unfairly treated.

Per SBNation,http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/8/29/5933493/aldon-smith-suspension-arrest-history

"Smith pled no contest in May to three misdemeanor weapons charges and two misdemeanor DUI charges. He avoided jail time during his July sentencing, getting felony charges dropped in exchange for three years probation and 235 hours of community service.

More trouble came in April after Smith was arrested in a bizarre airport incidentin which he became disorderly and made a false claim that he had a bomb. Those charges were later dropped, and theoretically did not factor into the NFL's discipline."

Aldon Smith had some misdemeanor charges. They were nonviolent charges. He made a ton of dumb mistakes that were violations of the law. He did seek help in the form of rehab in which he missed 5 games. He did not harm anyone or intend to harm anyone. He is not violent. He should not have been given a harsher sentence than Ray Rice and 1 game less than Josh Brent who actually killed a man. 9 games are a few too many. 4 games were about right being that this was Aldon's very 1st time being suspended and taking into consideration as Goodell said he would take into consideration the 5 game rehab stint. Goodell had the power to do what he wanted to and he did but i still say he went overboard with Aldon everything considered. And NO Aldon is not the walking liability to the Niners and the NFL as the media wanted him to be all this summer. Ray Rice, AP, Greg Hardy and unjustly so for a spell Ray Mac were the liabilities. They were getting press for violent offenses or in the case of Ray Mac accusations of violence. Aldon was very stupid in things he did but his name was plastered all over sports news all summer as if he was some heinous violent criminal. How many groups are out lobbying against Aldon and what he did as opposed to Rice AP Hardy etc? Aldon got way too harsh of a punishment from the NFL IMO.

Anyone who doesn't agree has 0 precedence to support their argument. Aldon made stupid immature judgment mistakes. The intent was not of an evil or violent nature. Just a dumb ass being a dumb ass. One who very obviously realized the seriousness demonstrated by getting treatment mid-season.

Aldon gets 9 games 1st time suspension for a no contest plea on 2 misdemeanor gun charges and a 2nd dui in unrelated incidents and for which he missed 5 games mid season to seek treatment for alcohol, though he was paid.

The other players Goodell has given a 9+ 1st time suspension to:

Pacman Jones for the strip club incident.
Donte Stallworth an entire season for killing someone.
Plaxico Burress who was suspended as a result of him being in jail.

Will it be reduced? I tend to think the reduction possibility all media created bs. I think it was started by that boob Florio, speculation at the time of the announcement because of the report of waiving his appeal rights and "only" getting to be at the facility for having done so.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Rodger Goodell is the worst commissioner in this history of commissioners in any sport. He's only concerned with self promotion and profit, even at the expense of product and integrity. The game has truly suffered under his watch.

I totally agree.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LVJay:
I still want Goodell to be FIRED, whipped with a switch on his scrotum, then burn him like the witch that he is on a wooden stake!

If he happens to reduce the suspension (I don't believe he will), then I'm willing to consider burning him alive on a stake........

I share your sentiments!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
I know there's 2 more games in the suspension. Since he should have been suspended for maybe 2-4 weeks to begin with, we're still getting screwed regardless. 9 games for dui after he's already gone into rehab is disproportionate.

Exactly right

Very disproportionate - Goodell basically screwed him up for not contesting and appealing. I think the NFLPA will appeal every decision to saction now, and least that's what I think every player who is in violation of NFL rules and wants to get some leniancy - answer - you won't get any from this idiot Comissioner in Goodell, so just keep appealing till you run out of it.
You probably think if George Zimmerman met the qualifications to become an officer, you'd 'stand-up' and fight for his right to be one. I mean, he was found innocent after all, right?.....

He was found innocent of murder because there wasn't substantial evidence to convict him of murder. As far as him becoming a Police Officer well that's up to him and the Police entity he applies for.
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Andra:

I don't know much about George Zimmerman but if I was trying to make my point in the context of that situation it would be that tavon's parents should have accepted their sons fate because there was nothing they could do about it which I feel is a defeatist attitude. My point is more that people should not accept The that is just the way it is attitude but be willing to stand up for what they feel is right. So when Roger Goodelle makes decisions that are unfair and inconsistent we should not just accept it but we should be willing to stand up against it by doing the only thing we really can do and speaking out against it
Share 49ersWebzone