LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

• buck
  • Veteran
49ers expect decision on Smith suspension soon

Today, general manager Trent Baalke said it's conceivable commissioner Roger Goodell will make a decision before the 49ers play the Ravens in their exhibition opener on Aug. 7 in Baltimore. Niners CEO Jed York has been in contact with Goodell, but a specific date for Smith to meet with Goodell in New York hasn’t been set.

"We know it's going to happen sooner rather than later," Baalke said. "It's certainly not something that's going to drag into the season. And may not even drag into the preseason games."

Last week, Smith avoided jail time when he was sentenced to spend 11 days on a sheriff's work crew after pleading no contest to DUI and felony weapons charges. His weapons charges were knocked down to misdemeanors.

On Thursday, Smith, who said he's been sober since he entered a treatment facility in September, said he's never been in a better spot mentally or physically to start training camp.

"We're certainly happy with the progress that he's made,” Baalke said. "As we all know, these things are day-to-day. He's doing a lot of good things and our hope is that he continues to make good decisions. You can see him out on the field. He's in great shape. He's having fun. It's a place that brings calm and peace to his life and he loves being out there …

"There's a lot of good things happening, but, as we all know, we're all one poor decision away from falling down the steps. We'll just continue to work with him."

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2014/07/26/49ers-expect-decision-on-smith-suspension-soon/
The public reaction to the Ray Rice thing has me a little worried about Aldon's suspension. The NFL has to be hating the kind of backlash they are getting, so everyone else coming up Hardy, Aldon, etc.., could feel the heat.

I hope not. I hope they treat them as the separate cases they are and decide the punishment in spite of any outside factors, but I don't trust the NFL to be that unbiased about it.

If they think they need to "protect the shield" they could easily make the next round of penalties tougher to show they are serious about disciplining their employees who fun afoul of the law.
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
The public reaction to the Ray Rice thing has me a little worried about Aldon's suspension. The NFL has to be hating the kind of backlash they are getting, so everyone else coming up Hardy, Aldon, etc.., could feel the heat.

I hope not. I hope they treat them as the separate cases they are and decide the punishment in spite of any outside factors, but I don't trust the NFL to be that unbiased about it.

If they think they need to "protect the shield" they could easily make the next round of penalties tougher to show they are serious about disciplining their employees who fun afoul of the law.

The heat is about how domestic abuse got less of a penalty then other less serious offenses like drugs. I think DUI and illegal gun possession also fall below seriousness of domestic abuse, which means the Ray Rice ruling may help Aldon.

Glass is half full and all that.
Anyone see him working on the side of a freeway today?
Originally posted by ninerjok:

joke or you really think hes going to work outside ?
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

they. they probably have him filing papers in the office.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

they. they probably have him filing papers in the office.

True, if he was on the side of the road a crowd would gather
[ Edited by JimHarbaugh on Jul 28, 2014 at 3:50 PM ]
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

thats even worse than hands on the hip. so gassed he cant even stand up, and this is the start of practice.

Your comparing a wife beater, to a man who legally purchased firearms and drove across a state border.

There was a 0.00000000000000000000000000000001% chance that as a result of Aldon Smith not having the proper button on his gun, people would be hurt as a result.

For Rice there was a 99.9999% chance that his wife would get hurt after he hit her.

We're comparing a harmless technicality, which harmed nothing and nobody, to a wife beater who physically harmed another human being.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

Your comparing a wife beater, to a man who legally purchased firearms and drove across a state border.

There was a 0.00000000000000000000000000000001% chance that as a result of Aldon Smith not having the proper button on his gun, people would be hurt as a result.

For Rice there was a 99.9999% chance that his wife would get hurt after he hit her.

We're comparing a harmless technicality, which harmed nothing and nobody, to a wife beater who physically harmed another human being.
You are forgetting about his DUI

Originally posted by BrianGO:

when it comes to the personal conduct policy theres no reason to even attempt to compare suspensions. theres no real rhyme or reason for how goodell does it. guess it depends on if his wife sucked him off before he heads to the office that morning.

He looks motivated
Originally posted by valrod33:
You are forgetting about his DUI

For which he served a five game self-imposed suspension. Of which Goodell has stated he would take into account. In which the NFL, has never suspended anybody for a DUI, ever.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crabman82:

thats even worse than hands on the hip. so gassed he cant even stand up, and this is the start of practice.
our s**tty off season has made a very nice transition to camp whoever 90 is looks worse. jesus
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by crabman82:

our s**tty off season has made a very nice transition to camp whoever 90 is looks worse. jesus

Nose tackles are supposed to look like that ha ha
Share 49ersWebzone