LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 136 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by theduke85:
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
Does anyone else think that the manner in which the Niners handled this would actually increase our chances of signing Aldon to a relatively more favorable deal?

1. He was suspended WITH pay.
2. There appeared to be unconditional support from both Trent Balke and Jim Harbaugh despite the re-occurring incidents -- as Balke stated that the whole process was highly detailed in structure.
3. The apparent Locker-room support and rapport, as no player appeared to turn their back on Aldon.

If our team's patience serves pivotal in Aldon fighting off his demons, I find it difficult to see Aldon not reciprocating his gratitude -- through, let's say, a reasonable contract?

No? Yeah, you're probably right.
I'm gonna say they we don't get a discount out of it. Aldon seems like he's immature and kind of stupid. The type of guy who, when free agency rolls around, is going to be licking his chops at the thought of getting the biggest offer -- loyalty be damned.

Just my opinion though. He just strikes me as a guy with a sense of entitlement, and I think it's wishful thinking to believe we'll save money from how we handled this.

In that case..
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
Does anyone else think that the manner in which the Niners handled this would actually increase our chances of signing Aldon to a relatively more favorable deal?
No? Yeah, you're probably right.

Problem is the greedy agents get in the way. It's up to a player to tell an agent I want to be here and I'll take less to stay here. Problem is doesn't seem like guys do that they just let the agent handle their business. The agents pretty much care about getting a salary that is equal to players who put up similar #'s. I mean why else does Flacco need 120 million instead of 90-100 million allowing them to keep guys like Boldin and possibly Reed and Ellerbe. The agents see oh he got this much (even if desperate team overpaid) nd we are as good or better than them so we should get as much or more. It's almost like these players and agents want just a huge number to brag about Even if it's like Nate Clements case where the last year was nullified automatically so was like 7 years 70 million instead of 8 years 8 million. Guy ended up with like 4 years 42 million or so but he got to say he was the highest paid defensive player in history. Look at Iupati, wonder if the guy would even speak up since he is so quiet and say I want to be here, I will take less to be here. Maybe he said I'll take 30 million and the agent said no way I'll get you 50 million even if its from someone else. It's up to the player to make sure a deal gets done because if you let agents handle it they fight tooth and nail to the end and they don't like to cave in.

Great point(s). Your aforementioned examples are what make me appreciate the no-nonsense attitude of Justin Smith. Arguably our best player for the past half-decade, dude represented himself and got a deal done with no agent needed. The Cowboy is definitely one-of-a-kind.
I would hope with all the Dolphins drama in the last 2 weeks that Aldon would realize that having a locker room of guys that have your back (Willis, Justin) is a good thing.

We have no knuckleheads -- just reformed ones -- Boone, Brooks -- who are models of how you do it. VD was a knucklehead in the beginning and Sing deserves some credit for VD and Brooks. Hell, even Boone too.

Boone then

Boone now

Originally posted by wysiwyg:
I would hope with all the Dolphins drama in the last 2 weeks that Aldon would realize that having a locker room of guys that have your back (Willis, Justin) is a good thing.

We have no knuckleheads -- just reformed ones -- Boone, Brooks -- who are models of how you do it. VD was a knucklehead in the beginning and Sing deserves some credit for VD and Brooks. Hell, even Boone too.

Boone then

Boone now

I have the utmost respect for Alex Boone. I really hope he can serve as some type of exemplar for resilience toward Aldon.
Here he is. The terrifying, the despicable, the criminal, Aldon Smith.
http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/aldon-smith-it-was-good-me-get-away

I think it's pretty clear from this interview that Aldon's problem wasn't hard core alcoholism. The trip seems like it was more about "overall" self-healing and reflection.

He seems really grounded. It looks like it was really good for him.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Nov 5, 2013 at 6:46 PM ]
Originally posted by BrianGO:

I think it's pretty clear from this interview that Aldon's problem wasn't hard core alcoholism. The trip seems like it was more about "overall" self-healing and reflection.

But we dont care about our players self healing, its all about fantasy numbers
He gave all the right answers to the press. But he's always been able to do that. His real test will be the offseason when he has free time on his hands. That's usually when he wants to party like it's his last day on earth. And he starts hanging around with more questionable characters. I will believe it when he goes through an offseason with ZERO trouble. He's never done that so far. Every offseason is a complete disaster. So we will see if he learned then.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He gave all the right answers to the press. But he's always been able to do that. His real test will be the offseason when he has free time on his hands. That's usually when he wants to party like it's his last day on earth. And he starts hanging around with more questionable characters. I will believe it when he goes through an offseason with ZERO trouble. He's never done that so far. Every offseason is a complete disaster. So we will see if he learned then.

Really cuz in this last off season I heard nothing of him partying, but alot of him training like it was the last day on earth.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan

Or maybe, he discovered something about himself that he did not like. You know, it is okay to be an alcoholic. What is not okay is failing to find a way to come to grips with it and believing that you do not have a horrible disease.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:

Really cuz in this last off season I heard nothing of him partying, but alot of him training like it was the last day on earth.

People got shot and stabbed at his house. He's only had 2 offseasons. #1 he ran off the road in South Beach. #2 shootings, stabbings, alcohol and drugs at house party.

denial: step 1
People got shot and stabbed at his house. He's only had 2 offseasons. #1 he ran off the road in South Beach. #2 shootings, stabbings, alcohol and drugs at house party.

Both incidents were in his first offseason in January and July of 2012. Until this seasons dui he had been very quiet all offseason training with a MMA trainer.
[ Edited by LoneWolf on Nov 5, 2013 at 8:06 PM ]
Both incidents were in his first offseason in January and July of 2012. Until this seasons dui he had been very quiet all offseason training with a MMA trainer.

So basically he hasn't had a quite offseason?

If anything he realizes how much the lifestyle can destroy all his potential. I hope the organization continues to work with him to be all he can be on and off the field. He may not be sucking dick for crack but all it takes is a series of poor decisions to wreck his life at this point. With all his pending charges he has 0 margin for error.
Originally posted by eonblue:
So basically he hasn't had a quite offseason?

If anything he realizes how much the lifestyle can destroy all his potential. I hope the organization continues to work with him to be all he can be on and off the field. He may not be sucking dick for crack but all it takes is a series of poor decisions to wreck his life at this point. With all his pending charges he has 0 margin for error.

Actually he did have a very quiet offseason other then the training, the dui was in the regular season sooooooooooo
Actually he did have a very quiet offseason other then the training, the dui was in the regular season sooooooooooo

touche sir.

but in all honesty i doubt he was going to bible study on the days church was not in.
Share 49ersWebzone