There are 150 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

• DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
2011 defense was #1 in almost all significant catagories except for the pass defense was shaky, IIRC.

It was historic really. We didn't allow a rush td until week 14.

2011 Defense

Rush Yards Per Game 77,3
Pass Yards Per Game 230,9
Yards Per Game 308,2

Yards Per Rush Attempt 3,5
Yards Per Pass Attempt 6,0
Yards Per Offensive Play 5,1

Points Per Game 14,3

2014 Defense

Rush Yards Per Game 92,9
Pass Yards Per Game 207,2
Yards Per Game 300,1

Yards Per Rush Attempt 4,0
Yards Per Pass Attempt 5,6
Yards Per Offensive Play 5,0

Points Per Game 20,5
Tga
Originally posted by DeUh:
2011 defense was #1 in almost all significant catagories except for the pass defense was shaky, IIRC.

2011 Defense

Rush Yards Per Game 77,3
Pass Yards Per Game 230,9
Yards Per Game 308,2

Yards Per Rush Attempt 3,5
Yards Per Pass Attempt 6,0
Yards Per Offensive Play 5,1

Points Per Game 14,3

2014 Defense

Rush Yards Per Game 92,9
Pass Yards Per Game 207,2
Yards Per Game 300,1

Yards Per Rush Attempt 4,0
Yards Per Pass Attempt 5,6
Yards Per Offensive Play 5,0

Points Per Game 20,5
that td was to lynch after a turnover on a short field
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
This defense is playing at the level of the 2011 defense. And that's with all the rookies and backups

not even close

Justin Smith's best year (before JJ Watt too the tourch) and our run d was incredible. The A-team still has a chance to argue that point doe.

Agreed...sooo you must be pleased that you were wrong with your prognosis of where this D would rank with all the injuries/suspensions, right? I can still see why you felt that way, but i felt this team would still hover around #5 even with all the injuries/suspensions...they have exceeded my expectations and should be very proud of their play.
Back to 2011, my favorite part from that D was how they were knocking RB's out every week...that D, and in particular the run D was unreal that year.

edit: was it RB's or QB's they were knocking out each week? could have sworn it was RB's

Glad you remembered.

It required a couple home runs, or maybe triples, to make it work. That and I underestimated Fangios greatness. His work with the Dome Patrol is legendary, but his defenses always face a downward trend when he became DC. I thought he was good, but not this good.

And x2 about the RBs getting knocked out. What was it, 5 of the first 6 rbs we faced? I don't wish injury on any player, but that was impressive to see in this era of football.

Maybe consulting with George Seifert, the architect of our Superbowl nickel defenses, helped in the offseason? At least after George met with the coaching staff, they drafted Borland which isn't the typical (I think) Fangio linebacker that he likes. I"m thinking Willis and Bowman. Then again Borland plays a lot like Sam Mills.

As for injuring RB's. I'd rather have turnovers than injuries on any player (ours or theirs).
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I remember those days. But I also remember that we had hitters on our DB's, and they did give some good hits on the WR's and RB's. Problem is that while they were hitters - they had some coverage skill difficencies, and I think that's why people passed on that defense more than they ran it.

But yeah, that was a very strong front 7. The best in the NFL, in my opinion that year.
Did he even play today? I couldn't tell
He had a real bad game.
So glad they picked up his option next year. He looked every bit worth of the 9mil he is going to make next year
I think he's given up on the season aswell. What a complete barn fire in SF. Sad to watch.
Isn't i sad that we are talking about the 2011 defense?
Originally posted by 9erTilDeath:
I think he's given up on the season aswell. What a complete barn fire in SF. Sad to watch.

Probably just tired.

So this guy has been quite disappointing this year... I really thought with Lynch on the other side we would be seeing 5+ sacks a game minimum and it would push our defense over the top. Really expected more.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
.. and you all b***hed at Brooks?? tsk tsk tsk
at this point put him on I.R.
he's not even out there trying.
the chargers were in have to pass mode for the entire 2nd half and we didn't hear his name on a sack once.
not 1 time.
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
So this guy has been quite disappointing this year... I really thought with Lynch on the other side we would be seeing 5+ sacks a game minimum and it would push our defense over the top. Really expected more.

It started off that way. That tailed off starting with the Seattle game.
maybe now we won't have to pay him as much
Share 49ersWebzone