There are 246 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Yeah, it was bad times on NT in the beginning of the season last year and the Aldon incident certainly didn't make things better or increase the optimism around here either. But we still did what's right anyway and put Aldon's well being first.

After letting him play one game first. That was a big mistake PR wise.
I believe Aldon has a very good case to present to Goodell, especially if he has any kind of proof that he may have gotten a little lippy with the TSA but did in no way say bomb prior to them saying the word bomb.

Really what it comes down to is a bad dui, and being ignorant about the laws in the state of CA requiring gun modifications that are not required in AZ where he purchased the weapons legally.

In response to this he attended rehab in the middle of the season, has remained sober, and is in the best shape of his life mentally and physically as a result.

That's a significant and appropriate response to screwing up to the degree he did and I believe it will weigh heavily in the decision to punish and to what degree.
[ Edited by WINiner on Aug 6, 2014 at 6:41 PM ]
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
I don't get why Goodell would have that severe of a punishment. A self imposed five-game suspension during a championship run so he could go to rehab. I'd think you'd want to promote and reward that sort of behavior in general.

Yup. The niners took their best defensive player out during a champsionship run after we started 1-2. We clearly put Aldon's condition over our team needs. And at that time, we needed him. No one knew we would go on the incredible run of domination.

But its the NFL. Common sense left the NFL as soon as Goodell's pompous smirk entered the room. He ruined the game big time.

We went 4-0 without him.

I know. But at the time we put him on the shelf, I think we were 1-2 and Kap and JH were getting flamed in NinerTalk and in the media. We didn't know at the time we didn't need him for that stretch.

Yeah, it was bad times on NT in the beginning of the season last year and the Aldon incident certainly didn't make things better or increase the optimism around here either. But we still did what's right anyway and put Aldon's well being first.

All the Harbaugh, Kap, Aldon and Roman haters came out of the woodwork.

Niners took a big backlash from there fans to make sure Aldon got his life together. That better be considered by Commissioner Godawful.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Heard on the radio today it could be upwards of 5 games.

Please god no.

If this is true, BrianGO's head will go
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

Please god no.

Nobody knows...they like to make guesses that will provoke the fans. I don't think in light of Ray Rice that the union or the Niners will just sit back and take it if it's 5.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

Please god no.

Originally posted by DeUh:
Originally posted by Disp:
Yeah, but it could take that tree years to recover.

Thiiiis. Why is no one talking about the tree !

#hopehehasafastrecovery

Man, looking at those burn/skid marks, he must have been absolutely HAMMERED! He obviously was up against the tree trying to gun it for quite some time...and making a hell of a lot of noise doing it. Look at the 3 seperate tracks too...it looked like he peeled out once, hit the tree, backed up and tried again and on a third attempt, was totally up against the tree and flooring it for a while. So glad he go checked in to rehab. We may have saved this dude's life!
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WINiner:
I believe Aldon has a very good case to present to Goodell, especially if he has any kind of proof that he may have gotten a little lippy with the TSA but did in no way say bomb prior to them saying the word bomb.

Really what it comes down to is a bad dui, and being ignorant about the laws in the state of CA requiring gun modifications that are not required in AZ where he purchased the weapons legally.

I agree that Aldon has a good case for no or a minimum suspension, but let's be real about the guns.

If you buy a gun, if you own a gun, you are responsible for knowing the laws governing the guns you own.
This is just simple, and in my estimation, irrefutable logic.

If Aldon wants to get a minimum suspension, he has to openly and forthrightly acknowledge that he is responsible for the violations of the gun laws--no excuses, no verbal garbage.

Aldon is supposed to meet Goodell on the 8th right? The ruling better not drag on much after that. Just make the f**king decision already so we can plan accordingly.
No need to dramatize what Aldon did. That's been done enough. He has made horrible decisions. The most dangerous being driving drunk IMO. Yet still he has never been a violent offender. He didn't buy those guns to be a thug or a banger. He bought them because he was a young guy with money and he thought it would be cool to own em because he could. His crime is not knowing to modify them by law. His responsibility and he failed. Still no need to cook him on a first offense. The DUI was more serious and he sought treatment on his own. LAX is dead. I initially thought 2 to 4 games this spring but after LAX died and his sentencing has concluded I think he gets 1 game most likely because he has served 5 weeks already. I see a max of two games. If he gets mores so be it but Aldon was young and this occurred TWO YEARS AGO! I think Aldon is not some evil guy but was just immature and stupid. He seems to have grown aplenty from his ordeals

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
No need to dramatize what Aldon did. That's been done enough. He has made horrible decisions. The most dangerous being driving drunk IMO. Yet still he has never been a violent offender. He didn't buy those guns to be a thug or a banger. He bought them because he was a young guy with money and he thought it would be cool to own em because he could. His crime is not knowing to modify them by law. His responsibility and he failed. Still no need to cook him on a first offense. The DUI was more serious and he sought treatment on his own. LAX is dead. I initially thought 2 to 4 games this spring but after LAX died and his sentencing has concluded I think he gets 1 game most likely because he has served 5 weeks already. I see a max of two games. If he gets mores so be it but Aldon was young and this occurred TWO YEARS AGO! I think Aldon is not some evil guy but was just immature and stupid. He seems to have grown aplenty from his ordeals

No drama. You are right he made horrible decisions. He did what he did.

But, dang come on. Be real.

What offense exactly are you referring to when you say for his first offense.

Aldon has been convicted of five misdemeanors, not one.

His reasons for buying the guns are both irrelevant to the charges and unknown to us.

The guns were illegal in California. The fact that the California gun laws are stupid makes no difference.

I also do not think that he should be suspended, but I am absolutely unwilling to pretend that he did not make serious mistakes.

Every player in the league knows, or has no reason for not knowing, what the consequences of their actions might be.

Aldon screwed up. He has taken the steps required to eliminate his problems and the courts have imposed legal remedies that reinforce his own actions.

At the end of the day, the time that he lost in his rehab and the sentence from the courts is more than sufficient.

At this point, I do not think a suspension would service any useful purpose.

But, there are no excuses for the decisions that he made.
[ Edited by buck on Aug 7, 2014 at 2:48 AM ]
Originally posted by buck:

His reasons for buying the guns are both irrelevant to the charges and unknown to us.

The guns were illegal in California. The fact that the California gun laws are stupid makes no difference.

I also do not think that he should be suspended, but I am absolutely unwilling to pretend that he did not make serious mistakes.

Every player in the league knows, or has no reason for not knowing, what the consequences of their actions might be.

Aldon screwed up. He has taken the steps required to eliminate his problems and the courts have imposed legal remedies that reinforce his own actions.

At the end of the day, the time that he lost in his rehab and the sentence from the courts is more than sufficient.

I didn't make excuses but what I said is that he did a lot of stupid ish and that he isn't some violent evil criminal with bad intentions. Five misdemeanors look bad but when you consider that 3 of them happened in one purchase of guns that were transported and that he was an alcoholic leading to his DUI then you can see he was more immature than criminally intended. It is easy to count up the charges but when and why did they occur is more important and this is why the judge ruled as he did. Its easy for us to read clippings and released data but when someone actually has the time to review and assess everything you can see the mistakes and bad decisions for what they were. Dude bought guns and didn't modify them and he was an alcoholic that got behind the wheel. He has since made efforts to reform his lifestyle and the public at large should welcome this and give him a fair chance. Goodell should too
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

This...it isnt just a matter of making modifications he brought them into the state illegally. That is really why he was arrested, it isnt just about how California would have made him alter the weapons. Beleive me he got lucky, if it was New York state he would be sitting in prison right now. You have to observe state laws in relation to fire arms that includes bringing them into the state through the proper channels. Between that and the DUI I think he certainly earned his troubles with the law. With the NFL on the other hand it is such a grey area...they have let people with DUI's walk before, The LAX thing ended up with no charges and the gun deal ended in probation....with his self induced exile last year I dont think he should be given more games given how they have handled things in the past. The problem is the NFL and Goodell specifically seem to like to throw the book at certain guys to make examples and now they have their chest all puffed up from the media backlash in how they soft played Ray Rice.
2 games
I think the thing that is gonna get him suspended is that he's a repeat offender. Roger mentioned how this was Rice's 1st and only incident. Thus why he got less time than Big Ben b/c he had been involved in 2 incidents. Aldon has been arrested 4 times. That's why this isn't going to compare to Rice's punishment. It's not about the severity of the crime to Roger but how many times you've done anything wrong and how you have gone about fixing your issues. Aldon has made good strides to remedying his problems. But I just don't think in Roger's eyes that it is enough. And let's be honest if this was a Cowboy we all would be calling for him to be suspended. I just hope its 4 games. Tomorrow is a big day
[ Edited by lamontb on Aug 7, 2014 at 6:55 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone