LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 337 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

• buck
  • Veteran
DUI increases the risk to human life. That is simple and straight forward.

If you drink and drive, you are risking human life and limb. If you do that, you are demonstrating a lack respect and concern for other people.

If you drink and drive, you are saying that your pleasure and your desire stand above the dangers you are creating.

I think there is a moral problem with drinking and driving.

But, hey I am not a priest or a minister. Just my opinion.

Originally posted by buck:
I am not sure I understand your stress on morality, but it does seem that DUI could be seen as a violation ethics or morality.

Aldon had on DUI charge lowered to reckless driving and after that he rang up a DUI.

Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs drastically increase the possibility of people being injured or killed.

I find DUI to be a moral problem as well as a legal problem.

Owning the guns without the button thing is a legal problem (in California) and is clearly not a moral problem.

But, I do think that DUI is not without its moral aspects.

He lives in the same gated community as Ray McDonald. You can call it a "DUI" and lump them all into the same category, but I disagree with the validity of that idea. I think there are varying degrees of everything.

Aldon got into his car thinking, "I am going to make a quick five minute drive home, after all, I only live a few blocks away." Does that sound like an immoral action to you?

Marshawn Lynch got into his car thinking, "YO, I'm going to SAIL baby like a kite in the night down the freewayz Y'all, at MAX speed, yo I a'nt even care wut lane I be in!!! B cuz I don't give a f**k!!!" Does this sound like a moral action to you?

You can call them both "DUI's", and legally, it doesn't matter, but if the NFL wants to be seen as a MORAL entity, it needs to choose between the two more wisely.
DUI increases the risk to human life. That is simple and straight forward.

I could argue buying excess corn increases the risk to human life, because it increases the price of corn, which makes food more expensive, which means more people will starve in the short term.

One could argue that any non-utilitarian action taken, is an immoral action in a sense, but this then becomes absurd.
We have to define "morality" as an "intentional" paradigm. Where the INTENT of the action is what matters most.

Aldon had every reason to believe that he could safely make the drive a few blocks home, despite being drunk. I doubt he thought in a million years he would pass out in his car while driving it, and if he had not passed out, it is 99.999% likely he would have successfully driven home.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:
He lives in the same gated community as Ray McDonald. You can call it a "DUI" and lump them all into the same category, but I disagree with the validity of that idea. I think there are varying degrees of everything.

Aldon got into his car thinking, "I am going to make a quick five minute drive home, after all, I only live a few blocks away." Does that sound like an immoral action to you?

Marshawn Lynch got into his car thinking, "YO, I'm going to SAIL baby like a kite in the night down the freewayz Y'all, at MAX speed, yo I a'nt even care wut lane I be in!!! B cuz I don't give a f**k!!!" Does this sound like a moral action to you?

You can call them both "DUI's", and legally, it doesn't matter, but if the NFL wants to be seen as a MORAL entity, it needs to choose between the two more wisely.

I have no idea what Aldon Smith or Marshawn Lynch were thinking, or if they were thinking, before or while they were driving under the influence.

I do not think that you do either.

I am not lumping anything together. I have made no comparisons.

I feel that Aldon's driving under the influence was both a legal and moral problem. ]]

So we disagree. We are entitled to our opinions.

I do not feel that Aldon should be suspended. I think that the punishment he received from the legal system and his time in rehab are sufficient.

Originally posted by BrianGO:

I have no idea what Aldon Smith or Marshawn Lynch were thinking, or if they were thinking, before or while they were driving under the influence.

I do not think that you do either.

I am not lumping anything together. I have made no comparisons.

I feel that Aldon's driving under the influence was both a legal and moral problem. ]]

So we disagree. We are entitled to our opinions.

I do not feel that Aldon should be suspended. I think that the punishment he received from the legal system and his time in rehab are sufficient.

oh so you had a change of heart
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
The seadderall .NUT boards wants him banned for life though. I'm thinking these so called 49er fans wanting him drawn and quartered for the DUI and Gun possession might not be genuine 49er fans at all.

Why read the Seattle boards?

And who among 49er fans wanted him drawn and quartered?

That is hyperbole, right?

The seadderall posters at the .NUT boards post some interesting links to hard to find seadderall team info. That's the main reason. I Also have some posters i know there. I visit once and a while to annoy them goodnaturedly. Afterall they are division rivals.
LOL I remember when GB was plotting Aldon's demise on their hokey fan site, so they could pick him up (since everybody in GB is a f**king drunk).
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
LOL I remember when GB was plotting Aldon's demise on their hokey fan site, so they could pick him up (since everybody in GB is a f**king drunk).

Yes. They are hypocrites talking about enough is enough and calling us classless. Well they got Jolly from prison and Colt Lyerla?? We ain't got nothing and nobody touching those two dudes!
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

Yes. They are hypocrites talking about enough is enough and calling us classless. Well they got Jolly from prison and Colt Lyerla?? We ain't got nothing and nobody touching those two dudes!

Exactly why all the fans who at the time were demanding Aldon to be cut were crazy. Yeah, let's cut an elite pass rusher so some other team can snatch him up and watch him dominate the league in another uniform. No thanks, I like to win football games.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jul 20, 2014 at 8:33 PM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Esco:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
this has to be one of those "nortenyos" he was partying with when he got stabbed.

You don't always get enough credit but this was some of your best work Lorenzo
Hey, thanks.

Originally posted by SofaKing:

Exactly why all the fans who at the time were demanding Aldon to be cut were crazy. Yeah, let's cut an elite pass rusher so some other team can snatch him up and watch him dominate the league in another uniform. No thanks, I like to win football games.

Yeah, instead of removing the problem, solve the problem, cause he could easily go up to hippie land Seattle, and Pete Carroll will be controlling his anger with 'mood beads' or some s**t, and win a f**king Nobel Peace Prize.

Cause heck, we sure f**ked it up the first time... gifting Dallas a dynasty...

Aldon is not and has not eve been a violent offender. He has just made some stupid and dangerous decisions. He is not some evil person. He can and should change his behavior. If we cut him he would have signed a multi year deal with at least $25 million guaranteed within the first week of release

Yeah, instead of removing the problem, solve the problem, cause he could easily go up to hippie land Seattle, and Pete Carroll will be controlling his anger with 'mood beads' or some s**t, and win a f**king Nobel Peace Prize.

Cause heck, we sure f**ked it up the first time... gifting Dallas a dynasty...

Ughh...this. Siefert is on record saying that was his biggest regret. If not for that move we'd be talking about quest for 9, and not quest for 6.
Aldon is not and has not eve been a violent offender. He has just made some stupid and dangerous decisions. He is not some evil person. He can and should change his behavior. If we cut him he would have signed a multi year deal with at least $25 million guaranteed within the first week of release

Agreed. I'm glad the 49ers had the common sense to stick by him, even with all the media vultures talking bad about the organization and trying to pressure us into releasing him. We just said screw what everyone else thinks, Aldon is a great player and a good guy at heart, we're sticking by him.
Agreed. I'm glad the 49ers had the common sense to stick by him, even with all the media vultures talking bad about the organization and trying to pressure us into releasing him. We just said screw what everyone else thinks, Aldon is a great player and a good guy at heart, we're sticking by him.

This is why we all knew deep down we were picking up his option. No one has gotten to the QB like he has in the history of the game at the start of their careers like Aldon has. Bay area media is sh*t besides the Matts and a select few others
Share 49ersWebzone