LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 148 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
If he doesn't get a suspension handed down this week I don't think he'll get one at all

IDK about that. Roger & co usually take their sweet time. I don't expect to hear anything until camp is winding down.
Perhaps he will get suspended pre-season games only
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Perhaps he will get suspended pre-season games only

that would be the best scenario!!!
Originally posted by BimmerKing:
Originally posted by FaTaL:
I would be surprised if aldon gets more then 2 games, goodell already said last years rehab stint would lessen his punishment

Yeah but that was before he brought a bomb into the airport

That "bomb" incident was baseless and no charges/convictions came out of it. It's like it never happened. Correct me if I am wrong.

All the felony charges for the gun incident have been reduced to misdemeanors (can somebody elaborate how the NFL views misdemeanors in terms of suspensions using other players as examples?)

Other 'zoners have stated this multiple times and I agree: Since he's actively taken initiative (rehab/community service/time away last year) I don't think he should get any suspensions or minimal (1-2 games max) just to make it look like that the NFL actually did something so people won't complain.

I know I'm going off topic but what the hell ever happened to Marshawn Lynch's DUI incident (wasn't that his second DUI?). If the league isn't gonna blink an eye to that than Aldon shouldn't miss any time at all.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
LOL anybody notice on NFL Network how the white correspondents seem outraged by the results, as if Aldon was OJ?

There's a very simple explanation for that actually. It's because they're stupid.
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
That "bomb" incident was baseless and no charges/convictions came out of it. It's like it never happened. Correct me if I am wrong.

All the felony charges for the gun incident have been reduced to misdemeanors (can somebody elaborate how the NFL views misdemeanors in terms of suspensions using other players as examples?)

Other 'zoners have stated this multiple times and I agree: Since he's actively taken initiative (rehab/community service/time away last year) I don't think he should get any suspensions or minimal (1-2 games max) just to make it look like that the NFL actually did something so people won't complain.

I know I'm going off topic but what the hell ever happened to Marshawn Lynch's DUI incident (wasn't that his second DUI?). If the league isn't gonna blink an eye to that than Aldon shouldn't miss any time at all.

There are tons of moral issues with what Lynch has gotten away with. Nearly killing himself and other drivers driving on the freeway while driving out of control, swerving through lanes.

Aldon fell asleep in a 25 mph zone, that is his crime. The crime of falling asleep. It was stupid, but he did not actually consciously perform ANY reckless actions.

Unknowingly, possessing slightly flawed firearms. Unknowingly, driving unconscious. Having alcohol in his body may or may not have caused him to pass out, it is pure speculation, but driving drunk in a 25 MPH zone is not reckless, not even close to it. It might be a bit dangerous, but not reckless.

Again, Aldon has not done anything he CONSCIOUSLY knew was reckless or immoral. While EVERY other player who has been suspended in the history of the league has.

The NFL is supposed to suspend players for immoral actions, not stupid mistakes. Aldon should appeal any suspension. I wish I were on his legal team, this is not that hard of a case to argue.
If he doesn't get a suspension handed down this week I don't think he'll get one at all

There are no grounds for any suspension whatsoever, at least in a moral sense.

In a reactionary, "Oh no, what about the children" sense, the NFL is in a tough place to not suspend him. Unfortunately, we live in a society where gossip and sensational headlines create most people's world views.

Aldon Smith has "Been in trouble", this creates the false idea that he has "Done bad things", this creates the false idea that, "He has done immoral things", this creates the false idea that "He needs to be punished", this creates the false idea that, "The NFL needs to punish him."

It's a cascade of misperceptions. It is just like with Colin Kaepernick, he has tatoos, questions have come up about sexual assault, questions have come up about who he hangs around with. This creates the misperception, that he too has "Been in trouble", and hence "Has done bad things", and on and on... etc.

When you examine the facts in both cases, the non-sense gets squashed immediately, but the media determines which stories get new life.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

There are tons of moral issues with what Lynch has gotten away with. Nearly killing himself and other drivers driving on the freeway while driving out of control, swerving through lanes.

Aldon fell asleep in a 25 mph zone, that is his crime. The crime of falling asleep. It was stupid, but he did not actually consciously perform ANY reckless actions.

Unknowingly, possessing slightly flawed firearms. Unknowingly, driving unconscious. Having alcohol in his body may or may not have caused him to pass out, it is pure speculation, but driving drunk in a 25 MPH zone is not reckless, not even close to it. It might be a bit dangerous, but not reckless.

Again, Aldon has not done anything he CONSCIOUSLY knew was reckless or immoral. While EVERY other player who has been suspended in the history of the league has.

The NFL is supposed to suspend players for immoral actions, not stupid mistakes. Aldon should appeal any suspension. I wish I were on his legal team, this is not that hard of a case to argue.

I see what you're saying but it is fair to argue that driving drunk (regardless of speed limit) is a reckless behavior in itself.
We can't get into contemplating if swerving through lanes on a highway and nearly killing oneself and others is just as bad as passing out in a 25MPH residential area potentially killing a pedestrian.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

There are no grounds for any suspension whatsoever, at least in a moral sense.

In a reactionary, "Oh no, what about the children" sense, the NFL is in a tough place to not suspend him. Unfortunately, we live in a society where gossip and sensational headlines create most people's world views.

Aldon Smith has "Been in trouble", this creates the false idea that he has "Done bad things", this creates the false idea that, "He has done immoral things", this creates the false idea that "He needs to be punished", this creates the false idea that, "The NFL needs to punish him."

It's a cascade of misperceptions. It is just like with Colin Kaepernick, he has tatoos, questions have come up about sexual assault, questions have come up about who he hangs around with. This creates the misperception, that he too has "Been in trouble", and hence "Has done bad things", and on and on... etc.

When you examine the facts in both cases, the non-sense gets squashed immediately, but the media determines which stories get new life.

The seadderall .NUT boards wants him banned for life though. I'm thinking these so called 49er fans wanting him drawn and quartered for the DUI and Gun possession might not be genuine 49er fans at all.
  • buck
  • Veteran
There is a good chance that Aldon gets off with no suspension.

The actual time that he will lose because of his sentence is not insignificant.

Aldon gets to gets to work for free for almost forty days and has to suspend three years on probation. That is like moonlighting for free.

Road side clean-up is not hard but it is dirty boring work. The community work might be ok, but sill he loses his control of his time.

If he has to report to a probation officer once a month for three years, and I do not know if he does, that is a pain in the butt.

In my experience, you have to leave work early, drive to the probation office, find a parking place, and have the meeting.
My probation officer was located in the courthouse, and finding a place to park was a bear and generally expensive.

When I was on probation, each trip to probation officer's office ending up costing two hours of pay and about three hours of my time.

As far as I can tell there has nothing malicious in any of his crimes; a ton of pure stupidity, but no evil intent. Luckily no one was hurt directly by Aldon.

The civil lawsuits against are payment enough for injuries sustained at his out-of-control house party.

I have no idea when Goodell will make his decision, but I do hope it is sooner rather than later.

edit We cannot forget the 30 days or so that he spent in rehab.

Almost 40 days of court ordered work.
Three years of probation.
Thirty days in rehab.

That looks like real time lost.

[ Edited by buck on Jul 20, 2014 at 4:06 PM ]

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
The seadderall .NUT boards wants him banned for life though. I'm thinking these so called 49er fans wanting him drawn and quartered for the DUI and Gun possession might not be genuine 49er fans at all.

Why read the Seattle boards?

And who among 49er fans wanted him drawn and quartered?

That is hyperbole, right?
[ Edited by buck on Jul 20, 2014 at 4:09 PM ]
Originally posted by Giedi:

If Aldon Smith deserves to be banned for life, then Marshawn Lynch deserves the electric chair, by that logic.

Aldon Smith has not committed a single moral offence. Plenty of stupidity, but that is the laws job to take care of, and they have.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Aldon Smith has not committed a single moral offence. Plenty of stupidity, but that is the laws job to take care of, and they have.

I am not sure I understand your stress on morality, but it does seem that DUI could be seen as a violation ethics or morality.

Aldon had on DUI charge lowered to reckless driving and after that he rang up a DUI.

Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs drastically increase the possibility of people being injured or killed.

I find DUI to be a moral problem as well as a legal problem.

Owning the guns without the button thing is a legal problem (in California) and is clearly not a moral problem.

But, I do think that DUI is not without its moral aspects.

[ Edited by buck on Jul 20, 2014 at 7:22 PM ]
If Aldon Smith deserves to be banned for life, then Marshawn Lynch deserves the electric chair, by that logic.

It is the repeat offenses that will cost him some time, not the severity of any particular one ... other than the DUI. The NFL does not like bad pub, and Aldon has tarnished a shield too many times I fear. Just the way it is with a business as visible as the NFL.
I see what you're saying but it is fair to argue that driving drunk (regardless of speed limit) is a reckless behavior in itself.
We can't get into contemplating if swerving through lanes on a highway and nearly killing oneself and others is just as bad as passing out in a 25MPH residential area potentially killing a pedestrian.

What if you're driving a golf cart drunk on a golf course? You COULD run over a kid and kill them. To say it is "immoral" is a stretch.

The very act of drinking alcohol impairs your ability to avoid danger to yourself and others in all situations, that doesn't make it "immoral".
On the other hand, if you KNOW you are threatening people's lives by swerving around on the freeway at high speeds, then you ARE being immoral, because it is the awareness of the action that is significant.

Getting into your car, drunk, with the intent to drive a few blocks home in a gated community is hardly "immoral", because there is no way you would anticipate that you will pass out while driving. It is ILLEGAL, and it is the job of law enforcement to hand illegal behavior, but the law is the law for its own reasons, breaking the law is not immoral. The law serves a pragmatic purpose of its own accord.

If you purchased firearms, but lacked the intelligence to realize that bringing them into California is against the law, that is not immoral.
If you purchased firearms, and clearly knew the law, but disregarded the law completely because you didn't think you would get caught, that is not immoral EITHER. Perhaps it is stupid, or callus, but not immoral.
If you purchased completely legal firearms, with the intent to use those firearms to shoot somebody the way Aaron Hernandez did, that IS immoral. It is the INTENT of the action, that makes it moral or immoral.

None of Aldon's illegal actions have been actions of immorality.
Share 49ersWebzone