LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 149 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

• lazy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
8 more days

till he gets arrested again?
http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/7/17/5913531/mike-garafolo-discusses-potential-aldon-smith-suspension

No way this can be accurate. Garafolo says 49ers believe Aldon could be out 4 to 6 games. I call bulls**t! I am still going with 2 to 4 with 2 most likely. Based upon precedent and this being Aldon's first time being suspended for a likely infraction that occurred OVER 2 SUMMERS AGO I don't see why Goodell gets crazy with a 6 game suspension when others have done much worse and received much less. 4 to 6 weeks for a DUI?? C'mon man and Lynch still playing? GTFO!! The media has been blowing every thing we've done this summer up exponentially
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/7/17/5913531/mike-garafolo-discusses-potential-aldon-smith-suspension

No way this can be accurate. Garafolo says 49ers believe Aldon could be out 4 to 6 games. I call bulls**t! I am still going with 2 to 4 with 2 most likely. Based upon precedent and this being Aldon's first time being suspended for a likely infraction that occurred OVER 2 SUMMERS AGO I don't see why Goodell gets crazy with a 6 game suspension when others have done much worse and received much less. 4 to 6 weeks for a DUI?? C'mon man and Lynch still playing? GTFO!! The media has been blowing every thing we've done this summer up exponentially

Nobody really knows what the punishment will be. The airport incident was completely dropped, so I expect that to be a non-factor. He left the team for over a month mid-season to attend rehab. That should account for something. He's likely to get nothing more than community service for the weapons charges. All things considered, 4 to 6 games seems harsh, but who knows.

I just know one thing, I'll be monitoring the Greg Hardy situation. This guy was found GUILTY of domestic assault. If he gets a lesser punishment than Aldon, I'll be furious. Let's see what Goodell's priorities are.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

I think it's a bit more than "a DUI"
  • buck
  • Veteran
Basically, Aldon has been convicted of 5 separate charges.

1. Reckless driving
2. DUI
3. Felony gun charge
4. Felony gun charge
5. Felony gun charge

Plus he has two civil suites against him from the house party.

He has settled one of the civil suites and one is pending.

He faces no legal charges from the house party or from the LAX fiasco, but those incidents could count against him.
The NFL is not limited to taking actions solely for actions that resulted in convictions.

I believe that the judge will lower the three felony gun charges to misdemeanors.

If the judge does lower those charges that will help. Aldon's stint in rehab will help. The fact that all but one incident occurred at least two years ago will also help.

The next step is the sentence hearing. With the grace of the gods, the judge will not keep the felony charges.
Hopefully, the judge is not a resolute anti-gun fanatic.

I have my fingers crossed, but I expect that he will be suspended for three games. Maybe, a 6 game suspension lowered to three after appeal.

Originally posted by SofaKing:
Nobody really knows what the punishment will be. The airport incident was completely dropped, so I expect that to be a non-factor. He left the team for over a month mid-season to attend rehab. That should account for something. He's likely to get nothing more than community service for the weapons charges. All things considered, 4 to 6 games seems harsh, but who knows.

I just know one thing, I'll be monitoring the Greg Hardy situation. This guy was found GUILTY of domestic assault. If he gets a lesser punishment than Aldon, I'll be furious. Let's see what Goodell's priorities are.

You can beat people up, as long as they deserve it, and it doesn't kill anybody.

Aldon Smith could have killed dozens of children with those weapons. DOZENS. Dozens of child deaths are much worse than somebody getting into an argument with his wife.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
You can beat people up, as long as they deserve it, and it doesn't kill anybody.

Aldon Smith could have killed dozens of children with those weapons. DOZENS. Dozens of child deaths are much worse than somebody getting into an argument with his wife.

This is either very interesting sarcasm or completely off base...

You're comparing domestic abuse (convicted) versus some owning guns that are illegal and COULD be involved in killing people.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Also trees. Sweet lord don't forget the trees.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

You're comparing domestic abuse (convicted) versus some owning guns that are illegal and COULD be involved in killing people.

Unfortunately, those guns, which would be legal in most states, are not legal in California.

I do agree that compared to physical assault, the gun charges are minor.

Having those guns in California was just plain stupid, if your stupid breaks the law that is absolutely idiotic.

If that judge does not lower the charges, if he keeps one of them as a felony, Aldon Smith is screwed--being a felon is not good.

The fact that Aldon has not killed any of the dozens of people he could have killed will clearly help him.

Unfortunately, those guns, which would be legal in most states, are not legal in California.

Having those guns in California was just plain stupid, if your stupid breaks the law that is absolutely idiotic.

If that judge does not lower the charges, if he keeps one of them as a felony, Aldon Smith is screwed--being a felon is not good.

The fact that Aldon has not killed any of the dozens of people he could have killed will clearly help him.

I agree it's stupid to have illegal weapons. And he deserves to be punished as he got caught with them. Its his responsibility to know the laws where he resides, and if he purposefully breaks the law, then he shouldn't put himself in situations to get caught.

But punishing someone for something that MAY happen is stupid. Owning weapons means you take responsibility for them. If a child was killed and it was his weapon, he would be somewhat responsible even if he didn't commit the crime.

I agree it's stupid to have illegal weapons. And he deserves to be punished as he got caught with them. Its his responsibility to know the laws where he resides, and if he purposefully breaks the law, then he shouldn't put himself in situations to get caught.

But punishing someone for something that MAY happen is stupid. Owning weapons means you take responsibility for them. If a child was killed and it was his weapon, he would be somewhat responsible even if he didn't commit the crime.
you guys wont believe how many illegal weapons your neighbors have including simple modifications that dont meet CA standards to the whole gun being illegal to have in the state.

Aldon is no different then any gun having american..not saying its ok but its not as crazy as it seems
Originally posted by socal9er42:
I think it's a bit more than "a DUI"

I meant to say 4 to 6 weeks for guns purchased legally in ARI but transported and was kept in the illegal unmodified condition?? He did his time for the DUI so the only thing we are really talking about are the weapons
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Jul 17, 2014 at 8:16 PM ]
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
you guys wont believe how many illegal weapons your neighbors have including simple modifications that dont meet CA standards to the whole gun being illegal to have in the state.

Aldon is no different then any gun having american..not saying its ok but its not as crazy as it seems

Agreed. California gun laws are ridiculously complicated and confusing. A slight modification misstep could mean your weapon is illegal. It might not even have anything to do with the effectiveness of the weapon. Just some weird technicality.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Oh I know, I have several friends that would qualify. Again, by choosing to own illegal weapons, you are electing to being punished if you're caught. So if that's what you want to do, don't put yourself In a situation to get caught. And if you get caught, you're on the hook to serve your punishment.
Oh I know, I have several friends that would qualify. Again, by choosing to own illegal weapons, you are electing to being punished if you're caught. So if that's what you want to do, don't put yourself In a situation to get caught. And if you get caught, you're on the hook to serve your punishment.

I just think that he didn't know. It is his job to know as a gun owner but I think the judge will be very lenient being he is a first time offender and not considered a threat to be a violent offender or a gang banger
Share 49ersWebzone