There are 233 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

^^^Which still didn't work out. ;)
Originally posted by bigwads:
I am so pissed at the recent chatter about not electing the 5th year option on Smith.

Baalke...you are one stupid a$$ mother fu$$er if you don't put the 5th year option on him.

There is zero downside to this move...none. Do it and trade him if you want but don't simply let him walk.

Baalke is seriously a moron if he lets Smith walk.
We will see May 3rd! It's all hogwash bro IMO! It doesn't make sense!
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by bigwads:
I am so pissed at the recent chatter about not electing the 5th year option on Smith.

Baalke...you are one stupid a$$ mother fu$$er if you don't put the 5th year option on him.

There is zero downside to this move...none. Do it and trade him if you want but don't simply let him walk.

Baalke is seriously a moron if he lets Smith walk.
We will see May 3rd! It's all hogwash bro IMO! It doesn't make sense!

Like you I am hoping it is all smokescreen...it better be.

He hasn't done anything close to as bad as countless others and he is 24 freaking years old.

The guy is a first ballot hof is he keeps breathing and he will do it with some team so why not us.

Anyone remember Haley winning another three rings with Dallas? That pissed me off like no other.

The kid needs to grow up...but it should be here and not somewhere else.

P.S. The "assault weapons" charge is such garbage for so many reasons too...only in California seriously.
[ Edited by bigwads on Apr 19, 2014 at 6:47 AM ]
^^^

They really have nothing to gain by not picking up his option. He can be cut/released at ANY time should he act up again. This is really a no brainer IMO.

I saw on twitter Maiocco saying that the Niners were in "wait and see" mode when it comes to Aldon (and Kap) and that seems much more likely and realistic than TK's usual over dramatized drivel pertaining to this situation.

If nothing comes out of this LAX situation (and I doubt anything will), then we're basically where we're at months ago (DUI, gun charges) and the team was still prepared to accept the option. Being a smart ass and saying something stupid shouldn't change anything.

He'll serve his 4-6 game suspension, come back in time for our Super Bowl run, sack Brady 3x in the big game and just like that...CHAMPIONS!
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
can't wait for these stupid airport incident charges to drop so everyone can stfu.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by buck:
As I understand it, we could sign Aldon to an extension any time before the end of the 2014 season.

If that is true, not picking up the fifth year of his rookie contract does not mean that he would hit free agency.

Am I confused, again.
Only if he agrees to said extension. He can say no way! Then he becomes a free agent in 2015! If we exercise this no risk option we've set his price for both 2014 and 2015! He has absolutely no say in his price and no say as to where he goes and how much he is paid as he would in a free agency setting if he reached the open market. This then gives us leveraging in order to evaluate him further for ourselves or to trade him at a set price! Why would we decline this option? That's bad business! The more you let this stuff sink in you know I know Jed knows cooler heads will prevail and May 3rd we get that option!

Thank you. I feel less confused, but somewhat conflicted.

Now, I understand more clearly why the owners wanted this fifth year option in the CBA.

I want us to keep Aldon Smith. I hope we do.

The major problem that I have with this situation, or perhaps with this discussion, remains our lack of specific, detailed knowledge. Noting this lack of information is not an argument for or against exercising the 5th year option, nor is it an argument for or against cutting him.

We were not party to the discussions between Aldon and the team last year, this year, or since his arrest in LA.

We do not know much, if anything, about the progress of his rehabilitation. We know nothing of any of what Aldon Smith, Jed York, or any of the major players in this are actually thinking or feeling.

You have been very assertive and forceful in putting forth your views. Your arguments seem logical.

But, the depth of our knowledge is nil, fundamentally we a very superficial grasp of the facts.

But, if I had to choose right now, and thank the lord I do not, I would exercise the fifth year of his rookie contract.

[ Edited by buck on Apr 19, 2014 at 7:49 AM ]
Gotta keep this dude til he plays himself out the league. Lets Face it, He is BY FAR AND AWAY the 49ers Best Pass rusher and He is the Best Pass rusher in the NFL. He just has a few screws loose (which could be a good thing on the field). He needs guidance and love & support. Nevermind the money or lack there of, he needs structure. Its time for a mentor. He'll miss 6 to 8 games this season and play out the last half hopefully safe & sound for his sake and the 49ers sake.
I don't know the exact details of his contract situation but isn't the best case scenario this? assuming he doesn't go to prison the league suspends him lets say at the worse half the season we get him back for the second half of the season. Then depending on his play the result of how we finish the season and how he behaves from now until then. Then decide whether to extend him or not. Is that not the best case scenario and how likely is that to happen?
Originally posted by Raul98:
I don't know the exact details of his contract situation but isn't the best case scenario this? assuming he doesn't go to prison the league suspends him lets say at the worse half the season we get him back for the second half of the season. Then depending on his play the result of how we finish the season and how he behaves from now until then. Then decide whether to extend him or not. Is that not the best case scenario and how likely is that to happen?

Seeing as nothing sticks in this LAX incident, the best case scenario is that we pick up his option before May 3rd to retain his rights throughout 2015. Can't have Aldon, Crabtree, Iupati, possibly even Kap (although he'll get the franchise tag) expected to become impending free agents next year, that's too much.

Aldon will probably be suspended at most 8 games (I'm banking on 4-6 games though) - he'll be back and hopefully move on, mature, and keep himself out of trouble from here on out. Then we can talk extension 2015-2016.
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Originally posted by Raul98:

Seeing as nothing sticks in this LAX incident, the best case scenario is that we pick up his option before May 3rd to retain his rights throughout 2015. Can't have Aldon, Crabtree, Iupati, possibly even Kap (although he'll get the franchise tag) expected to become impending free agents next year, that's too much.

Aldon will probably be suspended at most 8 games (I'm banking on 4-6 games though) - he'll be back and hopefully move on, mature, and keep himself out of trouble from here on out. Then we can talk extension 2015-2016.
Got it now. I really want this kid on the team i wish some one would shake some sense into him. Hes on a good team getting 10+ sacks a year. Going to the NFC Championship game every year and yet he keeps finding ways to throw it all away. I don't want the Charles Haley mistake to happen again. They need to spend some time with him and figure out a way to fix his personal problems and find a way to keep him on this team. But ultimately the choice is his if he wants it or not.

Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by Harbaalke:
I would question it as a Baalke NOT a Harbaugh issue Aldon, AJ Jenkins, Culliver have been Baalke picks on the football field the players can play and are well coached

Here is the friction; the rift.

The problem is ____________!!!! (fill in the blank)

No journalists needed.

It's nothing personal coaches job is to coach.. Gm job is to evaluate and fill the roster, all harbaugh can do is advise but baalke makes the final decision
Willis and Bow need to take Aldon behind the shed for some good ol' wall-to-wall counseling. Dude is immensely talented but is in real danger of pissing all of that away because he can't manage to not be an idiot for more than a few months at a time.

I get that there's a fair bit of pressure associated with being an NFL player, but that's no excuse.

Aldon needs to grow up, and quick.
This is what probably may happen if 49ers don't re-sign Aldon Smith.

He becomes a free agent and then signs with the Seattle Seahawks.

That would be so ugh
I still think we pick up the 5th year option
As far as Haley. At least Smith didn't piss on Seifert's Mercedes.
Share 49ersWebzone