There are 157 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Originally posted by trellblaze:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Thank you. Exactly how I felt at the beginning. The rehab should have at least counted toward Aldon's suspension/discipline by the league. Goodell actually may do something right? WOW

Yes, I find that totally surprising. It definitely doesn't match his history at all.
Well I think his history is suspending players who are still in denial or flat out refusing to admit they did anything wrong. Aldon as admitted and is seeking help. That is the big difference. Most of the other continue to deny they did anything bad by using the old they didn't know it was in their energy drink or some such crap

I'm curious. Is he the first player to handle it this way? Has anyone else ever checked themselves into rehab or any other sort of self-discipline after a high profile incident?
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Thank you. Exactly how I felt at the beginning. The rehab should have at least counted toward Aldon's suspension/discipline by the league. Goodell actually may do something right? WOW

Yes, I find that totally surprising. It definitely doesn't match his history at all.
Well I think his history is suspending players who are still in denial or flat out refusing to admit they did anything wrong. Aldon as admitted and is seeking help. That is the big difference. Most of the other continue to deny they did anything bad by using the old they didn't know it was in their energy drink or some such crap

I'm curious. Is he the first player to handle it this way? Has anyone else ever checked themselves into rehab or any other sort of self-discipline after a high profile incident?

Not under Goodell.
I don't believe so.

There is no precedent in regards to this. That is why everyone assumes a suspension is/was coming because everyone else got one. But they never owned up and took responsibility before any legal proceedings.

I still don't think Smith will get suspended for the DUI but the gun charges are a different issue. But probably won't be cleared up until after the season. I don't think any suspensions will be in Aldon's future this season.
Originally posted by kingairta:

I still don't think Smith will get suspended for the DUI but the gun charges are a different issue. But probably won't be cleared up until after the season. I don't think any suspensions will be in Aldon's future this season.

I think you're right about suspensions this season. But I'd be surprised to see the felony gun charges stick. Also, the guns were purchased legally and used to deescalate a violent situation on his property. And the prosecutors have to prove that he knew he was circumventing California laws by purchasing an "assault weapon" in Arizona. So it gets dropped down to some misdemeanor gun possession charge. Is Goodell still going to suspend him?
I don't believe so.

There is no precedent in regards to this. That is why everyone assumes a suspension is/was coming because everyone else got one. But they never owned up and took responsibility before any legal proceedings.

I don't think THIS season was ever an issue as far as suspension. Even if Goodell decided to suspend him for the DUI, it's most likely it would've been next season.

I have another question for those of you well versed in legal issues. The scrutiny that the sherif's dept is facing (preferential treatment) stems from the DUI arrest and not the gun charges. However, since the department is involved in both cases, ould this situation effect the gun trial in any way? If so, how?
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by 49ersking:
Some stats:

With Aldon Smith, defense gave up 28 pts on avg.
Without, defense gave up less than 13pts.

I'm sure there are a bunch of reasons for this...they always are....but great to see the defense playing well even withtrue loss of key players. A lot of credit to the guys stepping in, and to the coaching staff for putting them in the right spots.

Eric Reid wasn't quite Eric Reid yet. Our CB situation has improved with the emergence of Brock. A couple weeks ago I thought it was our biggest weakness and now not so much. Our offense is controlling the clock now ever since they have started using Gore again. I think basically everyone on the team is playing much better better football than when we got smoked by the Colts and Seahawks.

This
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerjok:
The commissioner says that Aldon voluntary participation in treatment/rehab will definitely factor into whatever discipline the league hands down. I predict maybe a 2-game suspension when it comes time for that. I could be wrong but I don't think more than that.

That's some much needed good news for Aldon.
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:

I think you're right about suspensions this season. But I'd be surprised to see the felony gun charges stick. Also, the guns were purchased legally and used to deescalate a violent situation on his property. And the prosecutors have to prove that he knew he was circumventing California laws by purchasing an "assault weapon" in Arizona. So it gets dropped down to some misdemeanor gun possession charge. Is Goodell still going to suspend him?

Not sure about California, but I am originally an upstate NYer. Some pretty tough gun laws, this would likely plea down to a misdemeanor there if he either handed over the weapon or took it back to the state where it is registered. That is assuming possession is the only charge, and the offender is properly contrite in court.
I've been saying this from the very beginning. My prediction.

Aldon will be back after the bye and won't face suspension this year. He will spend very little to no time in prison over these offenses (gun possession and the DUI) and both will be plead down to misdemeanors. He will face suspension NEXT year, but it will likely be greatly reduced in light of his voluntary 5 weeks away from the team in rehab.

My guess is 0 to 2 games suspended next year.

It kinda hard for Goodell to dole out a huge punishment over those gun charges when if he was an Arizona Cardinal he'd never have been charged to begin with. I also have a feeling those charges might go away altogether when Aldon is asked to testify in the criminal case of the men who shot people at his party. Rememer, Aldon was a victim that night, not a perp. The gun he fired ONCE into the air was a Pistol he owned LEGALLY. He DID NOT use any of the weapons he's charged with owning that night.

All of this of course depends on him not getting into trouble again. That would radically change everything.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Oct 26, 2013 at 2:22 PM ]
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Yup. I officially believe Aldon gon' be aight.

The Niners were brilliant because we did the right thing. We got him the help, which any ethical organization woulda done, and now he probably wont be suspended because of it or at very least it will be greatly reduced. We "suspended" him ourselves to get him the help and at the same time controlled the suspension because we were offering him rehab ( the suspension is in quotes because we didn't really suspend him, we got him the help he needed). We paid him his full salary to show our support and at the same time probably managed to sign him to an extension at a cheaper price when his contract comes up because of the good faith we showed him. Now, playing him against the Colts can be framed as "we were showing Aldon what he's be missing due to his mistakes, but we wanted him back"

All in all we did the right thing and I think karma will reward us. In business, doing the right thing is always the best (moral) thing to do. You'll never have trouble defending your actions if you do the right thing.

Edit: I'm a young fan, but I hear older fans talk about the Class that this organization showed in the 80's in 90's and what we did with Aldon shows the same type of Class that I think the older fans refer to. I can feel the Debartolo in the front office
[ Edited by Antix on Oct 26, 2013 at 10:38 PM ]

I don't think THIS season was ever an issue as far as suspension. Even if Goodell decided to suspend him for the DUI, it's most likely it would've been next season.

I have another question for those of you well versed in legal issues. The scrutiny that the sherif's dept is facing (preferential treatment) stems from the DUI arrest and not the gun charges. However, since the department is involved in both cases, ould this situation effect the gun trial in any way? If so, how?

Obviously, this effects the gun trial.

They let him out two hours early. In those two hours, he could have gotten one of his assault rifles and had a slightly better chance of killing slightly more children due to the fact that his assault weapons are slightly more efficient killing machines then they would have been without their slight modifications.

If Goodell doesn't suspend him for that, then this will serve as obvious proof, that the NFL doesn't care about the well being of children; and are no different from other child hate groups, such as the Santa Clara County Sheriff's office.
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
This

Adding Aldon back into the mix will only be piling on, the defense would get a lot more dangerous.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

They let him out two hours early. In those two hours, he could have gotten one of his assault rifles and had a slightly better chance of killing slightly more children due to the fact that his assault weapons are slightly more efficient killing machines then they would have been without their slight modifications.

If Goodell doesn't suspend him for that, then this will serve as obvious proof, that the NFL doesn't care about the well being of children; and are no different from other child hate groups, such as the Santa Clara County Sheriff's office.

lol...

Seriously, I was just wondering if the mishandling of this would effect the chances of penalty for the lawsuit filed by the shooting victims.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
This

Adding Aldon back into the mix will only be piling on, the defense would get a lot more dangerous.

Originally posted by BrianGO:

lol...

Seriously, I was just wondering if the mishandling of this would effect the chances of penalty for the lawsuit filed by the shooting victims.

Wait, I'm confused, how did children get involved?

Not trolling, serious question.
Share 49ersWebzone