LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 199 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by 49ersking:
Some stats:

With Aldon Smith, defense gave up 28 pts on avg.
Without, defense gave up less than 13pts.

I'm sure there are a bunch of reasons for this...they always are....but great to see the defense playing well even withtrue loss of key players. A lot of credit to the guys stepping in, and to the coaching staff for putting them in the right spots.

Two reasons. Aaron Rogers and Andrew Luck
This! We played a pretty tough first 5 games.

I also think that because we had the injuries, we had to generate pressure in different ways. It felt like we were a 3/4 defense that I always wanted us to be. Like Pittsburgh and Baltimore once were. Blitzing from all over, getting to the QB and forcing TO's. When Willis and Aldon and all the D is back together, I'm afraid Fangio is going to go back to his rush 3 or 4 lineman and everyone else into coverage, with no exotic blitzes. It's not Aldon's fault or Willis, etc... I feel like the opposing team knows exactly what are D is going to do.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by 49ersking:
Some stats:

With Aldon Smith, defense gave up 28 pts on avg.
Without, defense gave up less than 13pts.

I'm sure there are a bunch of reasons for this...they always are....but great to see the defense playing well even withtrue loss of key players. A lot of credit to the guys stepping in, and to the coaching staff for putting them in the right spots.

Eric Reid wasn't quite Eric Reid yet. Our CB situation has improved with the emergence of Brock. A couple weeks ago I thought it was our biggest weakness and now not so much. Our offense is controlling the clock now ever since they have started using Gore again. I think basically everyone on the team is playing much better better football than when we got smoked by the Colts and Seahawks.
The commissioner says that Aldon voluntary participation in treatment/rehab will definitely factor into whatever discipline the league hands down. I predict maybe a 2-game suspension when it comes time for that. I could be wrong but I don't think more than that.
Looks like he won't get suspended
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
I agree. Aldon gave himself at least a 5 game suspension and that in my opinion will serve as the suspension. I give the 49ers an A++ for the way they handled the situation. A first class organization from top to bottom.
Originally posted by trellblaze:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Maybe already asked, but with self imposed suspension for rehab, is aldon going to get more suspension from league when he returns. I mean, c'mon, the guy turned himself in, has lost games already, and it would seem wrong to suspend him once out of rehab. What's the league skinny on this?

hes legal issues have to run their course before he gets a suspension. he deserves one. if this were an elite seahawks player we'd be offended they could sneak off to rehab for a month or so and completely avoid a league suspension.

I mean, he's missing games already, even though he's not officially "suspended."

Any discipline administered by the team or Aldon himself is completely separate from punishment for league violations. If the league states that "Penalty X" is to be served for "Violation A", then that's that.

A team has the option of providing further discipline or even discipline before league investigation is complete but, again, these are separate entities. The NFL is responsible for enforcing it's own policy.

That said, even if Smith is convicted of DUI this time, the previous charge was reduced or dropped (I forget which). This would make it a lot tougher for the league to administer punishment while remaining consistent.

Also, even missing games this season Smith is being paid in full. I doubt the same would happen if he was suspended by the NFL.

I stand corrected...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/26/goodell-says-aldon-smith-entering-rehab-will-count-in-his-favor/
I didn't get all the uproar in the first place. Guys like Marvin tried to tell us to calm down and that the team was trying to handle this the right way. Idiots like Deion was on TV saying stuff like they played Aldon to win the game not knowing that we had to follow league policy and the new CBA. Idiots. Everyone just waiting to trash The 49ers not knowing the real truth. I hate when stuff like this happens to us. Aldon did wrong but he is trying to straighten his life out. I hope he does and I hope he can be for us what we drafted him to be. I hope he gets a fair hearing and or trial and I hope he accepts his discipline and the challenge to be a better man
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
I agree. Aldon gave himself at least a 5 game suspension and that in my opinion will serve as the suspension. I give the 49ers an A++ for the way they handled the situation. A first class organization from top to bottom.

I do think the commissioner is setting a precedence here by showing if a team & player can seek help the league will not have to step in to suspend players yet help players help themselves. Nice going by Goodell. Get well soon Aldon Smith!
I think it all hinges on the illegal gun charges. If he's convicted of a crime there -- even a reduced sentence from a plea deal -- I think he'll face a short suspension.

If that ends up being a mistrial or reduced to completely superficial charges, I think he may escape a suspension completely.

Also, I'm gonna have to eat crow on this, because I thought for sure the league was still gonna come down hard on him. I was thinking a 2-4 game suspension on top of the time missed from rehab. Will gladly stand corrected...
Originally posted by theduke85:
I think it all hinges on the illegal gun charges. If he's convicted of a crime there -- even a reduced sentence from a plea deal -- I think he'll face a short suspension.

If that ends up being a mistrial or reduced to completely superficial charges, I think he may escape a suspension completely.

Also, I'm gonna have to eat crow on this, because I thought for sure the league was still gonna come down hard on him. I was thinking a 2-4 game suspension on top of the time missed from rehab. Will gladly stand corrected...

Dito.

I do find it a bit suspicious, though, that the Sherif's dept conveniently goofed up this whole situation. I watched the interview as reported by the news and the Sherif was unusually unprepared and clueless.

Even though the news report tried to tilt it to make it look bad for Smith, from a legal standpoint it looks bad for the investigation. Seems all too convenient but hey...these things happen. It's sad to say, but there's a lot of people who stand to make more money with Smith on the field than off it. Oh well...that's life.

Glad to hear Goodell is taking Aldon's rehab into consideration and could possibly lessen his amount of games suspended. In the meantime, gives time for Lemonaaay and Skuta to develop their game. Actually comfortable with Lemonier and Skuta either rushing the passer or dropping into coverage.
Thank you. Exactly how I felt at the beginning. The rehab should have at least counted toward Aldon's suspension/discipline by the league. Goodell actually may do something right? WOW
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Thank you. Exactly how I felt at the beginning. The rehab should have at least counted toward Aldon's suspension/discipline by the league. Goodell actually may do something right? WOW

Yes, I find that totally surprising. It definitely doesn't match his history at all.
Good guy Goodell.
Originally posted by trellblaze:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

Yes, I find that totally surprising. It definitely doesn't match his history at all.
Well I think his history is suspending players who are still in denial or flat out refusing to admit they did anything wrong. Aldon as admitted and is seeking help. That is the big difference. Most of the other continue to deny they did anything bad by using the old they didn't know it was in their energy drink or some such crap
Share 49ersWebzone