There are 146 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by kap2crab:
Might he do jail time after the rehab?

For what? I don't think you get jail time for DUI until your third time or something. I believe his first one was downgraded from DUI. SJPD said there was no marijuana and the pills were prescription.
its gonna suck if the league suspends him after he comes back from rehab

He's suspended now. The league won't suspend him even longer when this suspension / rehab is over.
really? well thats good atleast. and he should be pretty fresh when hes back. if we can survive half the season with what we have we could be in position for a huge boost by the end of the year with all our guys returning.
Originally posted by kap2crab:
Might he do jail time after the rehab?

For what? I don't think you get jail time for DUI until your third time or something. I believe his first one was downgraded from DUI. SJPD said there was no marijuana and the pills were prescription.
its gonna suck if the league suspends him after he comes back from rehab

He's suspended now. The league won't suspend him even longer when this suspension / rehab is over.
really? well thats good atleast. and he should be pretty fresh when hes back. if we can survive half the season with what we have we could be in position for a huge boost by the end of the year with all our guys returning.

Wonder what, if any, training/working out/staying in shape he's gonna be able to be doing during hiatus. Hopefully he doesn't come back our of shape.
Yeah probably nothing that will get him behind bars though.

Never really heard of anyone getting jailtime as a result of getting sued.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Yeah probably nothing that will get him behind bars though.

Never really heard of anyone getting jailtime as a result of getting sued.

Yeah me neither.
What we are doing for Aldon will achieve one or two things: Aldon becomes a better man and player and the deal we resign him to is as well
What we are doing for Aldon will achieve one or two things: Aldon becomes a better man and player and the deal we resign him to is as well
I wonder if the trip to rehab will lessen the length of his upcoming suspension.
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Sep 23, 2013 at 1:53 AM ]
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

Hope so! Sometimes it takes more than one or two or multiple trips to rehab in order to turn someone around, especially when it's dictated. Really hope this was Aldon's decision.
Dose anyone have any news on how aldon's rehab going ???
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Dose anyone have any news on how aldon's rehab going ???

you don't get news about rehab. it just happens. but he has tweeted since starting treatment

Aldon Smith ‏@AldonSmith30 Sep
Yo! Wake up !!! Good Morning! Its Monday.. Beat the Week !! #Believe #GodisGreat
View conversation

Aldon Smith ‏@AldonSmith27 Sep
GOOD Morning Everyone! It's Friday!! We MADE it! Have a GOOD weekend. #Friday #TGIF
View conversation

Aldon Smith ‏@AldonSmith26 Sep
Let's do this! #Niners
Expand

Aldon Smith ‏@AldonSmith23 Sep
Yo! Wake up !!! Good Morning! Its Monday.. Beat the Week !! #Believe #GodisGreat
View conversation

This whole Aldon situation is a whole load of bullcrap.

What "drinking problem" does Aldon have? Is there a single shred of evidence to suggest Aldon has a "drinking problem"? Stepping into a vehicle while intoxicated is not a "drinking problem", it's a DECISION problem.

"Alcoholics" are usually people who are drunk all the friggin time. They lock themselves in an apartment full of Vodka and don't come out for weeks. THAT is a drinking problem. Driving a car while intoxicated bears no resemblance to that.

If he really did have a drinking problem, he would show up late to practice, look lethargic, oversleep etc. I don't think these types of characterizations have ever been reported about him.
I doubt Aldon drinks much more than anyone else on the team. It's just that he DECIDES to drive cars while doing it.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

What "drinking problem" does Aldon have? Is there a single shred of evidence to suggest Aldon has a "drinking problem"? Stepping into a vehicle while intoxicated is not a "drinking problem", it's a DECISION problem.

"Alcoholics" are usually people who are drunk all the friggin time. They lock themselves in an apartment full of Vodka and don't come out for weeks. THAT is a drinking problem. Driving a car while intoxicated bears no resemblance to that.

If he really did have a drinking problem, he would show up late to practice, look lethargic, oversleep etc. I don't think these types of characterizations have ever been reported about him.
I doubt Aldon drinks much more than anyone else on the team. It's just that he DECIDES to drive cars while doing it.

You don't understand alcoholism at all and make a lot of excuses for the guy. You don't have to be drunk all the time to be an alcoholic. You can do it sometimes and still be out of control. And bad decision making is a huge part of alcoholism. I don't see how he could make a bad decision to get in his car and drive sober?....
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

You don't understand alcoholism at all and make a lot of excuses for the guy. You don't have to be drunk all the time to be an alcoholic. You can do it sometimes and still be out of control. And bad decision making is a huge part of alcoholism. I don't see how he could make a bad decision to get in his car and drive sober?....

I am doing the opposite of making excuses. I am saying that their is not an excuse for driving drunk. Calling him an "alcoholic", when the real problem is DUI IS the definition of "excuse".

Please inform me about "alcoholism" if you would. I would love to know why Ahmad Brooks is not an "alcoholic" and sitting right next to Aldon in the same program, and Aldon is. Driving a car while intoxicated makes you an "alcoholic", while beating someone over the head with a glass bottle makes you a perfectly normal non-alcoholic. Please explain the difference to me.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

I am doing the opposite of making excuses. I am saying that their is not an excuse for driving drunk. Calling him an "alcoholic", when the real problem is DUI IS the definition of "excuse".

Please inform me about "alcoholism" if you would. I would love to know why Ahmad Brooks is not an "alcoholic" and sitting right next to Aldon in the same program, and Aldon is. Driving a car while intoxicated makes you an "alcoholic", while beating someone over the head with a glass bottle makes you a perfectly normal non-alcoholic. Please explain the difference to me.

He may well be but wasn't driving and didn't crash into a tree and pass out with his foot still on the accelerator. The NT didn't press charges so it didn't go anywhere. The NFL never pursued it because it just went away. Yup he got away with one. Smashing a bottle over somebody's head is a definite sign of lack of control. The prosecutor didn't do anything about it. So he's your local prosecutor up there. Ask him why? They certainly could have pursued it. Divens didn't press any charges too which covered for Brooks big time. Probably got some payment under the table. Brooks definitely has a problem. And just like Aldon who was always in denial and "it will never happen again" and such that we used to hear from him (Aldon) it will likely happen again for him too (Brooks). He will do something stupid again. If you are stupid enough to smash bottles on peoples heads and threaten them with a gun you are dumb enough to do something profoundly stupid again.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Oct 4, 2013 at 1:37 AM ]

This is a sad post to me because it demonstrates a stereo type of alcoholism that should be long gone by now. If you have never met or known functional alcoholics good for you, but alcoholism comes in all manner from the falling down drunk you describe to the guy who just needs eight ounces of vodka for breakfast to make it through the day, or the guy who needs his three martinis each night. So many variations. One variation is a guy who can go without drinking for months and then falls off the wagon, taking off right where he left off last time in self destruction. Another variation is a guy who has never missed work a day in his life but has to drink whenever he can. So many flavors!

And as for being a "decision problem" yeah, the two go hand in hand...just as most addictions do. Having to anesthetize yourself to get through life is a problem whether you get into a car or not...particularly for your family.

Hope Aldon can become a stronger person for this experience but very few people with serious problems are "cured" with one venture into rehab or counseling.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Oct 4, 2013 at 7:13 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone