LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 233 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by midrdan:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Personal conduct ?

DUI - would fall under that but, AS suspended himself for 5 games already and RG liked that approach
Gun Charges - owning guns that don't fall within specs of a state law, but are legal elsewhere - No way should that be punishable by the NFL and shouldn't fall under PC
LAX - No charges and it was a big misunderstanding

I just don't see it, even for the DUI. RG hasn't suspended a certain player from Seattle who i believe had a DUI before AS.

Just cause AS name was all over the place in the headlines..that should deserve a suspension.

Guns are controversial. It's also the manner in which they were discovered - a fight broke out at the player's home, he was stabbed, gun shots were fired. The guy has assault rifles. He has pleaded guilty to weapons charges. There is no way he involves a suspension for this, when combined with the LAX issue. The alcohol issue is resolved - he sought treatment and missed five games. But treatment for alcohol abuse does not absolve Aldon of the gun or LAX issues.

As Marvin said in another thread or previously in this thread, tough to suspend aldon if he self suspended himself five games and if those felonies drop to infractions. The whole NFLPA will be up in arms as well as those states that believe in enforcing the Constitution if he's suspended for legally purchasing guns.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by midrdan:
Personal conduct ?

DUI - would fall under that but, AS suspended himself for 5 games already and RG liked that approach
Gun Charges - owning guns that don't fall within specs of a state law, but are legal elsewhere - No way should that be punishable by the NFL and shouldn't fall under PC
LAX - No charges and it was a big misunderstanding

I just don't see it, even for the DUI. RG hasn't suspended a certain player from Seattle who i believe had a DUI before AS.

Just cause AS name was all over the place in the headlines..that should deserve a suspension.

Guns are controversial. It's also the manner in which they were discovered - a fight broke out at the player's home, he was stabbed, gun shots were fired. The guy has assault rifles. He has pleaded guilty to weapons charges. There is no way he involves a suspension for this, when combined with the LAX issue. The alcohol issue is resolved - he sought treatment and missed five games. But treatment for alcohol abuse does not absolve Aldon of the gun or LAX issues.

As Marvin said in another thread or previously in this thread, tough to suspend aldon if he self suspended himself five games and if those felonies drop to infractions. The whole NFLPA will be up in arms as well as those states that believe in enforcing the Constitution if he's suspended for legally purchasing guns.

They were legally purchased, but very much illegally brought into the state. I could see a slap on the hand game or two if it draws any sort of probation. If it is a fine and let drop. I am betting on a stern warning and time served for the DUI being the NFL stance personally. But once any sort of punishment comes from a court that is above and beyond a hand slap I could totally see the NFL responding with similar punishement.
I think he'll get what the NFL will call and eight game suspension for the totality of his eff-ups and then they credit him with the five games from last year and he'll be out for three games max.

I just hope the judge doesn't get a burr up his/her a$$ and look to make a political statement. That would throw a wrench into the works . . . obviously. But I doubt it happens that way. Gotta believe Aldon's attorneys probably with help from the 49ers brass have gotten word down from up high that he'll get a wrist slap with the no contest plea.
This legal talk is boring. I heard Aldon has looked hot in camp. How is his coverage / run stop game coming along? Our overall pass rush, IMO, will actually get better if we cut down the frequency of his pass rushes, so our game plan is less predictable. I thought he improved in those areas last year. I was pleasantly surprised. I hope it continues.

If he misses 2, 3 , 4 games at the start of the season, it won't really impact anything.

If he becomes as effective a run stopper and coverage guy as a pass rush guy, that will impact everything we do.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
I think he'll get what the NFL will call and eight game suspension for the totality of his eff-ups and then they credit him with the five games from last year and he'll be out for three games max.

I just hope the judge doesn't get a burr up his/her a$$ and look to make a political statement. That would throw a wrench into the works . . . obviously. But I doubt it happens that way. Gotta believe Aldon's attorneys probably with help from the 49ers brass have gotten word down from up high that he'll get a wrist slap with the no contest plea.
lol, just suspended him for his total F ups ?

and two F Ups are not even F ups NFL wise
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Jul 2, 2014 at 12:43 PM ]

The 2012 DUI in Miami, the 2013 DUI in San Jose, the gun charges, the house party/stabbing, firing guns in the air to disperse the crowd and the LAX incident, all obviously showing poor judgement . . . once the player crosses over a certain threshold the NFL can invoke the personal conduct policy and lay down suspensions for conduct detrimental to the league and the issues the league looks at didn't necessarily lead to charges or convictions.

That said, they did that to Kenny Britt and he only got a one game suspension.
double post
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Jul 2, 2014 at 1:17 PM ]

The 2012 DUI in Miami, the 2013 DUI in San Jose, the gun charges, the house party/stabbing, firing guns in the air to disperse the crowd and the LAX incident, all obviously showing poor judgement . . . once the player crosses over a certain threshold the NFL can invoke the personal conduct policy and lay down suspensions for conduct detrimental to the league and the issues the league looks at didn't necessarily lead to charges or convictions.

That said, they did that to Kenny Britt and he only got a one game suspension.
AS is not even in the same level as KBritt

On April 12, 2011 Britt was arrested in New Jersey on three counts (including a felony) following an alleged car chase with police. The charges were later reduced.[9] On June 7, Britt pled guilty to careless driving and was fined.[10] On June 8, 2012, Britt was arrested in Hoboken, NJ, charged with resisting arrest.[11] On January 13, 2013, Britt's close personal friend was involved in a stabbing and Britt reportedly drove him to the Jersey City Medical Center. When police attempted to ask Britt about the incident, he was allegedly not willing to cooperate. The incident marks the ninth time Britt was involved with police since he joined the NFL.[12] In May 2014, a sex video briefly appeared on Britt's Instagram. The Rams announced they were looking into the incident
the fact is in rogers nfl all you need is a bunch of incidents and he will invoke the personal conduct policy. its not about whether you're convicted, its about the stain you put on the league by showing up on the police blotter on a regular basis.
The LAX incident is dropped! Thank god. I always thought he was just trying to be a smartass and got rung up for it

The DUI will hopefully receive less suspension time due to his self imposed punishment

And his party gone wild case where he got stabbed trying to break up a fight at his own house so he fired a few rounds in the air to scare the thugs away from his party. Sure he could have handled the situation better but its easier said than done when you have just been stabbed in your own home. Sure the guns were illegal and some of the I'll planned parameters of his and Delanes party may have been unsafe and could potentially cost him serious cake in a lawsuit but in terms of ch
Jail time I would think and hope the judge and DA would be aiming to put the guy who shot someone and the guy who stabbed someone behind bars and likely have a plea bargain worked out that could involves a testimony to get the real criminals behind bars. The only threat Aldon posses to society is upon opposing QBs

The LAX incident is dropped! Thank god. I always thought he was just trying to be a smartass and got rung up for item
The DUI will hopefully receive less suspension time due to his self imposed punishment

And his party gone wild case where he got stabbed trying to break up a fight at his own house so he fired a few rounds in the air to scare the thugs away from his party. Sure he could have handled the situation better but its easier said than done when you have just been stabbed in your own home. Sure the guns were illegal and some of the ill planned parameters of his and Delanes party may have been unsafe and could potentially cost him serious cake in a lawsuit but in terms of
Jail time I would think and hope the judge and DA would be aiming to put the guy who shot someone and the guy who stabbed someone behind bars and likely have a plea bargain worked out that could involves a testimony to get the real criminals incarcerated. The only threat Aldon posses to society is upon opposing QBs
[ Edited by matthewabbit on Jul 3, 2014 at 1:26 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Appearing on Sirius XM Radio, ex-NFL GM Bill Polian predicted Aldon Smith will receive a three-game suspension "at most" for his off-field transgressions.

Smith caught an enormous break Tuesday when L.A. prosecutors decided against charging him for (allegedly) making a false bomb threat while (allegedly) drunk at an airport this April. The 24-year-old was also arrested for DUI in January 2012, and suspicion of DUI plus marijuana possession in September 2013. In October of 2013, Smith was charged with three felony counts of illegal possession of an assault weapon stemming from a 2012 stabbing incident. Meanwhile, Josh Gordon is facing a year-long ban for smoking weed.

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football-player-news
Lol at people thinking he will receive an 8 game suspension
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:

Many of us are going to be wrong. I will even guarantee it.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:

Many of us are going to be wrong. I will even guarantee it.

Over / under is 3.5 games now that the LAX incident has been dropped. I still think Goodell will suspend him for 'conduct detrimental to the league'. I originally thought 6 games, but with the LAX incident dropped, RGs ammo lost a little bight.
Share 49ersWebzone