There are 237 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
People that are posting about Schefter and Rapport reporting Aldon will be suspended for 12 games need to be warned by the mods. Not cool or funny

this and its only one guy that keeps saying it, im yet to find anything about 12 games too.
I think people are dreaming if they think Goodell is gonna let Aldon off with just a 4 game suspension. Don't get me wrong, I hope he isn't suspended at all, but given his past I cannot imagine anything less than 8 or nine games. I hope to God I'm wrong.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on May 21, 2014 at 5:58 PM ]
Originally posted by jreff22:
But a previous posted tweet said no deal was made. Only that a change of plea was made...?

WTF is going on lol

Yup just seen on Chanel 5 news. The DA Said "there is no special treatment no plea deal, Mr Smith simply changed his plea"
Originally posted by sanjo49er:
Yup just seen on Chanel 5 news. The DA Said "there is no special treatment no plea deal, Mr Smith simply changed his plea"

why would they admit there was a deal?
Why does Kawakami write like an a*****e? He's like a beat writer for the 49ers but from a Hater's perspective.
Originally posted by kray28:
No one cops a plea without knowing the consequences beforehand. Kawakami is a maroon.

I'm more worried about the NFL sentencing though. Minimum 4 games? Or will the Niners try to note to Goodell that Aldon served a huge "voluntary suspension" last year.

Probably won't matter.
Not really though because he was paid.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SportsFan:
This.

Judge usually goes with the DA's recommendation unless there is some other circumstances.

Now if Aldon gets himself into trouble between now and July 25th the judge will throw the book at him.

I would think the gun violations are more technical violations that don't have any evidence of intentional trying to go around the California gun laws. Just ignorance of the requirements of having a lawful gun. Whereas the one I'm worried about are the DUI issues. The Bomb incident in LA looks like the DA there is just wanting the thing to go away and die down. I would think as a federal worker himself, he doesn't want the TSA getting more bad press. I'm hoping the Santa Clara DA recommends community service or something like that. Hope little or no jail time at all. Hope hope.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
while aldon is not admitting guilt he is saying that if this went to trial he most likely would have been found guilty,,,, in legal circles this is known as the alford plea. I am very comfortable knowing the niners are proceeding along as if aldon will not be with the team for a undetermined amount of time and at least they have some time to get their ducks in order. If aldon is gone for a while, it will just mean a pass rush by committee which we did quite well when he was MIA last year. the lemon man is a year smarter, skuta is very good and whatever we get from the kids is just gravy.
no contest

n. in criminal law, a defendant's plea in court that he/she will not contest the charge of a particular crime, also called nolo contendere. While technically not an admission of guilt for commission of the crime, the judge will treat a plea of "no contest" as such an admission and proceed to find the defendant guilty as charged. A "no contest" plea is often made in cases in which there is also a possible lawsuit for damages by a person injured by the criminal conduct (such as reckless driving, assault with a deadly weapon, aggravated assault), because it cannot be used in the civil lawsuit as an admission of fault. "No contest" is also used where there has been a "plea bargain" in which the defendant does not want to say he/she is guilty but accepts the sentence recommended by the prosecutor in exchange for not contesting the charge (which is often reduced to a lesser crime). It is standard practice for the judge to ask either the attorneys or the defendant, "Is there a factual basis for the plea?" before accepting it and finding the defendant guilty.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Dang. Just like the real world; we have to wait.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
Dang. Just like the real world; we have to wait.

i am very thankful we have a regime who is not setting around playing checkers. if the season began tomorrow i bet they already have a plan b set up in case aldon goes bye bye for a while
Kawakami is right on the issue that even if the lawyers agree to a plea bargain, the judge isn't bound to that bargain and can sentence based on whatever charges that a defendant pleas guilty or no contest to. That said, the vast majority of judges go along with what the lawyers agree upon unless there are aggravating circumstances.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ltrain:
Kawakami is right on the issue that even if the lawyers agree to a plea bargain, the judge isn't bound to that bargain and can sentence based on whatever charges that a defendant pleas guilty or no contest to. That said, the vast majority of judges go along with what the lawyers agree upon unless there are aggravating circumstances.

aldon and his drama is a aggravating circumstance but what the hell he is a niner and you support him till he no longer is one
Originally posted by ltrain:

He is dead on. It all comes down to the judge. I wouldn't be surprised if Aldon does a little time, especially with the Florida incident.
  • buck
  • Veteran
No reason to wait and see what happens, when we can speculate and debate.

Seriously, we do not know and we will find out soon enough.

I will admit that I do not know what is going to happen.

If anybody knows what is going to happen, I urge him to gift us with their knowledge.
Share 49ersWebzone