LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
The 49ers messed up the first weekend after Aldon was arrested for the 2nd DUI. Letting him practice and play against the Colts like normal was not a good move from a PR perspective. How they have handled things from that point on have been better.

The Sheriff's Department star treatment of Aldon when he was picked up the last time was a debacle, but not anything to do with the Niners' front office.

It will be interesting to see where this goes on the weapons charges. Three felony counts is nothing to sneeze at, so it depends on the D.A.'s office. I certainly hope that Aldon took his rehab seriously and gets his life back on track first before he returns to the field.

There explenation for allowing him to play made sense though. They wanted to show they still support him and will contine to support him through his problems and solving them. Which is really what addiction patients need. It also helps the team in signing him long term.
Get this man on the field. We have some QBs to murder.
Now he turned himself in for his 3 felonies. And his DUI is still pending. Plus he is on the loose again. So who knows what will happen.....
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Get this man on the field. We have some QBs to murder.

I think hes in for the Panthers game unless there a massive f**k up in court.
Substance abuse and guns...now there's a good combo. Unfortunately, we see that all too often. When I'm hunting if some nutjob is drinking, I go elsewhere. As to Aldon, under the influence he has no business with guns in the house...unless for protection....and then if drinking, guns stay locked in gun safe. Pretty simple, pretty elemental, but probably not at 23. As for the rehab, for the initial treatment to take effect, he has to go thru the 12 steps like everybody else who has been there. With weapons charges, I wouldn't be surprised if his outpatient rehab is supervised by medical folks. For all those who have been thru it or had a child go thru it, it doesn't work without pretty energetic outpt followups, meetings(AA),etc. I sure hope he is one who it "takes" on, the first time....but that would asking for an awful lot. For the followups the 49ers are in a great position to oversee, so big advantage there. Still, as all know, the person himself has to want to get better and not be a recidivist. On that part we can all cross our fingers, and...well, pray. Nobody out there doubts that a real run at the title would be a lot more likely with Aldon. That said, he has to be actively recovering first...and that means daily, where his teammates can definitely help out. Hopefully, a 49er big brother stepping in is probably already in the works.
Eric Branch ‏@Eric_Branch17m
#49ers Jim Harbaugh said on @957thegame he met with Aldon Smith at team facility today. Said LB "looks great."
Hoping he can get his life straightened out now, he will definitely need a team sponsored babysitter for the near future
Aldon Smith will probably not be charged, nor suspended.

-Von Miller made a horrible example of the NFL (and himself), while Aldon did the complete opposite. Smith threw himself into rehab during the season, turned the felony-related weapons in, and turned himself in to the police (just minutes after exiting rehab). -That's a good message/example to send to the rest of the NFL, 49ers are a classy organization.
I wouldn't worry about him being out of shape per say. He probably had a pretty hefty exercise program going on as part of his treatment. You have to replace one thing with another. So exercise could be the thing he swapped.

Who knows.

I love how the zone is full of doctors and know the whole ins and out of a player that all they know is he drinks he drives he goes to rehab.

Age has nothing to do with alcoholism. Its very easy for people with addictive personalities to be come an alcoholic. No one is claiming he is cured. All we can do is hope he makes the right choices from here on out.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Aldon Smith will probably not be charged, nor suspended.

-Von Miller made a horrible example of the NFL (and himself), while Aldon did the complete opposite. Smith threw himself into rehab during the season, turned the felony-related weapons in, and turned himself in to the police (just minutes after exiting rehab). -That's a good message/example to send to the rest of the NFL, 49ers are a classy organization.

I think the weapons charges are a bit overblown myself, correct me if I'm wrong but it's only because he didn't have proper permits in California which he has in Missouri. He turned himself in so doesn't that mean he was charged? I bet he gets to plead it down to a misdemeanor. As for the DUI, he will face some sorta punishment but I doubt he gets anymore than a 1 game suspension from the NFL. IF and this is a BIG if, Aldon keeps his nose clean, he and the 49ers may have escaped a very terrible situation. Can't believe we went undefeated without him, hopefully that rehab had a gym and he kept himself in decent shape. If he's out, I hope he attends some "opportunity" practices and gets himself in the facility every single day.

we getting healthy at the right time
i luv JH

After missing 4 games, I doubt he gets suspended.
Originally posted by 60sFan:
After missing 4 games, I doubt he gets suspended.

5 of em
The biggest thing people have been missing is that Aldon's 'sponsor' might be Alex Boone from this point going forward.
Share 49ersWebzone