LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 152 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by BrianGO:
This whole Aldon situation is a whole load of bullcrap.

What "drinking problem" does Aldon have? Is there a single shred of evidence to suggest Aldon has a "drinking problem"? Stepping into a vehicle while intoxicated is not a "drinking problem", it's a DECISION problem.

"Alcoholics" are usually people who are drunk all the friggin time. They lock themselves in an apartment full of Vodka and don't come out for weeks. THAT is a drinking problem. Driving a car while intoxicated bears no resemblance to that.

If he really did have a drinking problem, he would show up late to practice, look lethargic, oversleep etc. I don't think these types of characterizations have ever been reported about him.
I doubt Aldon drinks much more than anyone else on the team. It's just that he DECIDES to drive cars while doing it.
Legitimately disgusted at how ignorant this post.
Originally posted by theduke85:

What "drinking problem" does Aldon have? Is there a single shred of evidence to suggest Aldon has a "drinking problem"? Stepping into a vehicle while intoxicated is not a "drinking problem", it's a DECISION problem.

"Alcoholics" are usually people who are drunk all the friggin time. They lock themselves in an apartment full of Vodka and don't come out for weeks. THAT is a drinking problem. Driving a car while intoxicated bears no resemblance to that.

If he really did have a drinking problem, he would show up late to practice, look lethargic, oversleep etc. I don't think these types of characterizations have ever been reported about him.
I doubt Aldon drinks much more than anyone else on the team. It's just that he DECIDES to drive cars while doing it.

Your disgust is not legitimate and the post is not ignorant. You may disagree with it, but that does not make it ignorant. Alcoholism is still not clearly understood and even the definition has been subject to numerous changes.

But this is pretty much irrelevant to this thread. This thread is for discussing Aldon Smith. Whilst his current situation is coloured by apparent abuse of alcohol, specific discussion of the abuse or dependency had better move to the Parking Lot or, preferably, elsewhere.

So please restrict your comments to directly relating to football.

Any personal reactions to recent posts will receive a response from the Mods.

If you have any issues or problems please do not raise them in thread. Please pm me or use the pm the mods facility.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran

Agreed.
[ Edited by Hopper on Oct 4, 2013 at 7:52 AM ]
Originally posted by Hopper:

Agreed.
Addiction and alcoholics are under the same bracket, I agree poor choice just like aldons party where he ended up stabbed... Anyways there are many individuals who are labeled "functional" addicts or alcoholics, they attend work and complete most of there daily duties, but just can't control there drinking habits or in some cases there substance habits (marijuana) ..
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
aldon has a problem.i am not interested in putting any sort of a label on it because i do not walk in his shoes. i am just glad he is somewhere getting help and i just hope when he gets out, he will have dispatched all of the leeches and will stay clean and sober. if he does not come back to us this year, thats fine with me. whatever it takes and however long it takes

Agreed.
pretty sure being drunk at 7 in the morning isn't normal. Glad he is getting help.

i was an alcoholic who never missed a day of work, was never a minute late and always worked hard at work. its called being a functional alcoholic. i dont know how bad of a problem aldon smith has, but i also dont think you have a very good grasp on what an alcoholic is.

Agreed.

so say Some first time drinkers get busted for a DUI ...do they have a drinking problem ?

this drama is only cause he got caught...we all have probably done worse ..but we havent got caught to make it an issue
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Agreed.

so say Some first time drinkers get busted for a DUI ...do they have a drinking problem ?

this drama is only cause he got caught...we all have probably done worse ..but we havent got caught to make it an issue
First of all, this is not his first DUI. He was arrested last year for a DUI in Maimi, but the charges were reduced to a Reckless Driving charge after he agreed to take alcohol education classes.

Second, I don't think these are normal circumstances. There's a difference between making a poor decision to drive home after the bars close versus crashing into a tree at 7 in the morning with a blood alcohol content twice the legal limit (just hours before practice, mind you).

Finally, why would he agree to voluntarily enter rehab if he didn't think he had a problem?! Is it just for show? Because I'd find that extremely hard to believe.
[ Edited by theduke85 on Oct 4, 2013 at 9:47 AM ]
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Agreed.

First of all, this is not his first DUI. He was arrested last year for a DUI in Maimi, but the charges were reduced to a Reckless Driving charge after he agreed to take alcohol education classes.

Second, I don't think these are normal circumstances. There's a difference between making a poor decision to drive home after the bars close versus crashing into a tree at 7 in the morning with a blood alcohol content twice the legal limit (just hours before practice, mind you).

Finally, why would he agree to voluntarily enter rehab if he didn't think he had a problem?! Is it just for show? Because I'd find that extremely hard to believe.
He got caught that is the only reason...and with every Celeb/Sports figure has to go through this type of crap cause people want to create tabloid drama.

There are far more people worse that live/work right next to all of us then 22 year old Aldon

Why did this completely dissolve into alcohol? Big deal. Hes young, he screwed up, hes taking responsibility. Less can be said of other players in the division.

If we can weather the storm for the games he is out, he comes back fully healthy, with fresh legs and something to prove. Its like getting a new 1st round toy mid season. Ill take that if we can win the next few without him and get our young guys some quality time on the field.
There are allot of people forming opinions and making judgments on things they know very little about. A drinking problem cultivates bad decisions or a decision problem. Unless a person has been in a treatment program and studied the science of addiction they just arent aware of how much of a psychological problem it is and should probably stfu. Im not talking about AA, Im talking about full blown rehab. Having had that experience, Aldon is doing the right thing. Drinking enough alcohol the night before a game to fail a DUI test at 7am is a huge red flag in terms of alcoholism. He also has a previous DUI and got stabbed at his own out of control party. He needed help and I just hope it sticks, it isnt gonna be easy for him.
So if they guy was drunk driving that is about as bad a drinking problem as you can have. It kills me that guys with millions in the bank can't either hire a limo or call a f**king cab. Well at least our dummy didn't kill anyone like Leonard Little, I still can't believe that fool didn't go to prison for a long time...
The main problem why people get caught for DUI is because they don't learn how to drive under the influence. There are a ton of DUI Driving schools all throughout the US, some even offer online classes for certification, yet professional athletes don't take the time to practice this art. The program should be mandatory for professional sports teams and college campuses so we can keep our roads safe from these irresponsible alcoholics.

Agreed.

+1
Share 49ersWebzone