LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 227 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
he has already learned his lesson..paid time off or not

Ok, so people who get pulled over for DUIs & go to a few AA meetings shouldn't have their driver's licenses revoked or pay any fines or go to jail because they "learned their lessons?"

What lesson exactly has Aldon learned? So far he's learned that if he crashes his car drunk he gets a paid vacation. Goodell can teach him that if he crashed his car drunk he'll get a humongous fine.

Goodwill is not the law, aldon constantly heard of his wrong doings as long as we talked about him getting in trouble. passing out and waking up in front of a tree to the cops probably runs through head stll..he is a new father and has been sober ever since the incident. He still needs to serve his punishment like everyone else that gets a DUI as well.
Originally posted by fryet:
The NFL is an employer not a court of law. It isn't their job to judge their employees or meet out punishment. If I get a DUI, my employer does nothing.

Of course it's the NFL's job to judge players & punish them. That's in the collective bargaining agreement. It's NFL policy to do so. Aldon signed up for just that when he signed his NFL contract.

I once had a manager who got a DUI, and my work fired him before he could ever come back. Just because your job wouldn't do anything about a DUI doesn't mean other jobs won't.

How did the job find out about his DUI
How did the job find out about his DUI

Wrecked the company car. LOL!
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Aug 13, 2014 at 6:48 PM ]
Ok, so people who get pulled over for DUIs & go to a few AA meetings shouldn't have their driver's licenses revoked or pay any fines or go to jail because they "learned their lessons?"

What lesson exactly has Aldon learned? So far he's learned that if he crashes his car drunk he gets a paid vacation. Goodell can teach him that if he crashed his car drunk he'll get a humongous fine.

So you are against rehabilitation for recovering alcoholics then? Man, its rehab! Of course he learned something in 5 weeks rehab or else folk wouldn't rehab! This is ridiculous! And Aldon is serving out his penalty under the limits of the law. He ain't escaping nothing that he should not have
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
So you are against rehabilitation for recovering alcoholics then? Man, its rehab! Of course he learned something in 5 weeks rehab or else folk wouldn't rehab! This is ridiculous! And Aldon is serving out his penalty under the limits of the law. He ain't escaping nothing that he should not have

Of course I'm not against rehab'. I'm all for any boozehound going to rehab'. I'm all for judges mandating going to rehab'.

What I'm not for is having rehab' excuse people from all of the other consequences of getting a DUI (especially when you get into a wreck when you're drunk). One of those consequences, if you're an NFL player, is to be suspended. And most importantly: LOSE GAME CHECKS. That's the only punishment NFL players respect. Hit 'em in the wallet and they pay attention.

The 49ers levy the loss of game checks against their players; only the NFL can do that.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Aug 13, 2014 at 7:14 PM ]
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
This is inaccurate! He might miss games but what Aldon and the 49ers did was very responsible and productive for Aldon.

After they let him play one game first ... lol. That was a BAD decision by the niners.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Goodwill is not the law, aldon constantly heard of his wrong doings as long as we talked about him getting in trouble. passing out and waking up in front of a tree to the cops probably runs through head stll..he is a new father and has been sober ever since the incident. He still needs to serve his punishment like everyone else that gets a DUI as well.

What is this passing out and waking up in front of a tree crap.

He was driving drunk, passed out and hit a tree, or maybe driving drunk, hit a tree and passed out.

If Aldon were dumb enough to talk about what he did in your terms when he met with Goodell, he would be suspended for the whole year.

• buck
  • Veteran
And most importantly: LOSE GAME CHECKS. That's the only punishment NFL players respect. Hit 'em in the wallet and they pay attention.

Stereotypes are good, right?

Originally posted by Bluesbro:
After they let him play one game first ... lol. That was a BAD decision by the niners.

They let him play one game and then he proceeded to miss five! His many other clubs have done this? You have a problem with how they handled it? Any suggestion as to what they could have done better?
Originally posted by AmpLee:
I don't think anyone of us fans care how many game checks Aldon loses VS how many actual games he loses. Going to rehab should negate some of the punishment by the NFL, since the NFL is about correcting behavior, not punishment (per Gooddell). So talking about his step to correct his behavior via going to rehab is wholly relevant to how the NFL ought to levy their 'behavioral correction'.

This. And they can fine him the game checks for all I care. He did 5 weeks time though

Originally posted by buck:
Stereotypes are good, right?

Stereotypes & generalities are the only way to describe a large number of people (like NFL players). How else can you say anything about 1,696 people? And stereotypes are true the vast majority of the time. That's how they became stereotypes (with exceptions of course).
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Aug 13, 2014 at 7:57 PM ]
what the f**k is lord goodell waiting for?

announce the damn punishment already
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
what the f**k is lord goodell waiting for?

announce the damn punishment already

THIS!!!
I've been sending weekly emails to Florio about how he is the worst journalist on PFT or anywhere for that matter. I'm excited to see smith get suspended for less than what he reported so I can add another claim to his list of bogus "insider information"

*~}# you Florio
  • buck
  • Veteran

Stereotypes & generalities are the only way to describe a large number of people (like NFL players). How else can you say anything about 1,696 people? And stereotypes are true the vast majority of the time. That's how they became stereotypes (with exceptions of course).

OK. You have the right to your own opinion.

Share 49ersWebzone