LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by socal9er42:
FWIW - ESPN's Adam Schefter just said he expects a decision this week and the consensus of the people he has talked to is six game suspension, give or take...

Seems high to me. I still say 2-4.

Yeah, but 6 games with the possibility to knock it down to 4 games seems fair to me.

That's what the 'sources' keep saying. 6-8 games, but dropped to 4 w/ good behavior.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
FWIW - ESPN's Adam Schefter just said he expects a decision this week and the consensus of the people he has talked to is six game suspension, give or take...

Yeah, but 6 games with the possibility to knock it down to 4 games seems fair to me.

That's what the 'sources' keep saying. 6-8 games, but dropped to 4 w/ good behavior.

Yeah - same old, same old for the length.

It was the suspected release this week that caught my ears. He said that the average from the meeting with the Commish until release means it should be announced sometime this week. Would be nice to know and end the waiting/guessing game.
Can he practice with the team at all if suspended?
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by jeepzilla:

yes, just can't dress for games.

I thought they were willing to factor in the time missed last year too? so couldn't that feasibly drop it down to only 1 actual game missed this year?
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

i'm pretty sure you cant be around the team at all while suspended. guys with already announced suspensions can play in the preseason but once the yr starts they gotta be gone until its over.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
I thought they were willing to factor in the time missed last year too? so couldn't that feasibly drop it down to only 1 actual game missed this year?

Everyone is saying that Goodell won't go light on Aldon because of the Rice case. One game is way too low; four games I think is the lowest he'll go.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
dp
[ Edited by mayo49 on Aug 13, 2014 at 9:51 AM ]
I think Goodell is trying to figure a way to cover his butt since the Rice suspension and Irsay's screw-up.

I'm thinking 5 games and a hefty fine plus some community service stuff.
[ Edited by LasVegasWally on Aug 13, 2014 at 9:52 AM ]
Originally posted by crabman82:

i'm pretty sure you cant be around the team at all while suspended. guys with already announced suspensions can play in the preseason but once the yr starts they gotta be gone until its over.

It depends on the type of suspension. If it's a substance abuse suspension players can be at the facility because they believe the team structure will help deal with the addiction. Players who are in violation of the personal conduct policy can be banned from the facility during the suspension.

Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

It depends on the type of suspension. If it's a substance abuse suspension players can be at the facility because they believe the team structure will help deal with the addiction. Players who are in violation of the personal conduct policy can be banned from the facility during the suspension.

either way you for sure cant practice with the team. i could see being allowed access to the weight room and what not.

I think that's correct.
I gotta give Goodell some credit here. I think that whatever decision he gives Aldon will be for the most part based on his own reasoning and not due to a ton of outside pressure. After all Aldon Smith ain't the only guy he has to suspend this week. He doesn't necessarily have to make Aldon the example. There are others he can use to do this. Aside from everything Aldon actually went and sought help and forfeited playing in 5 games already. Let us not freak out yet. I initially had 2 to 4 games with 2 most likely but who knows? He could see more than 4 games but I think he more than atoned for the DUIs so the gun transport into CA is what may see him do some time and in which case I believe 4 games is the top end of punishment he should get for his first gun offense. Being that this was more than 2 seasons ago and that he isn't a violent offender I can see 2 games in my biased mind but I will have to settle for 4 games if it comes to that. Anything more for a gun purchase transport and I am going to freak out knowing what we know of Aldon. He ain't no thug so it ain't no good reason to throw the book at him when he is obviously trying to become a better person
Hoovtrain, I have posted that about a dozen times here. It fits. 4 games, 6 games, doesn't. Time served plus 1 for the insult and goodell gets to watch Aldon do community service cleaning up roadsides on TV every Monday for 8 weeks.

Pillbusta is right. The kid isn't a criminal. He has done stupid things, didn't beat up anybody, esp a woman, nor did he rob a drug store. These are piss ant things, and goodell should do the right thing and make it 6 games, minus 5 for time served, plus in rehab for that, and let him get on with his life. I do think he will add...if any more screw ups, he is out for the season. Now there is a big stick, and that should give Aldon plenty of reason to do no wrong.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Aug 13, 2014 at 10:21 AM ]
  • fryet
  • Veteran
So here is how I personally think the penalty should be handled. Let's say Goodell decides on a 6 game suspension. Since Aldon missed 5 games due to treatment, the suspension is reduced to 1 game. However, Aldon was paid during his rehab, so Goodell also imposes a fine equal to 5 game checks. What I don't know is what flexibility Goodell has when it comes to fines. Aldon may need to sign some agreement or "voluntarily" donate 5 game checks to charity.

Personally, I think 4 games is probably about right for a first suspension, in which case he wouldn't miss any time, and only have a fine equal to 4 games.
Share 49ersWebzone