LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 275 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by crake49:
I find this entire "if it were me, I'd be in jail" thing perplexing. Evidently people don't really get what's going on here. The weapons charges were for failing to make a minor adjustment required in California on two guns purchased legally in another state. The DUI involved no reckless driving, no injuries, no damage to another vehicle and was technically not a moving violation. The LA DA found that there was no conclusive evidence he had even used the work "bomb." The "background" is that he is a person who has admitted he has a problem and already has committed himself to rehab.

So why do people think this is so strange? Nobody is going to do any real time for problems like this whether or not they're a pro athlete.

Because it's too hard for most people to put the situation in proper context. It's much easier to ignore the facts of the case and jump on the tired, old narrative that he only got off because he's an athlete.

This is true. The big wrench in the process was the airport incident. That along with everything else was gonna result in lengthy suspension. Well with the airport thing resulting in no charges, it really puts us right where we were at the end of the season. The felonies dropped to misdemeanors is a big thing and he has essentially served time for the DUI (if goddell meant it when he said it's about guys getting help). My guess would be sizable fine and time served by the league.

However I think any suspension would be 1-2 games and if I was aldon I would appeal the hell out of it. In the end, barring injuries, I think aldon plays 14-16 games for us this year. That was something I thought was impossible after first hearing of the airport incident.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jul 18, 2014 at 3:43 PM ]
Originally posted by jeepzilla:
if i were Smith, I would consider spending 11 days straight to just get it over with

Exactly. With gpod behavior they'd probably let him out after 7/8 days
  • Phil
  • Veteran
f**k the haters.
Originally posted by lamontb:
if i were Smith, I would consider spending 11 days straight to just get it over with

Exactly. With gpod behavior they'd probably let him out after 7/8 days
lol good behavior...this aint prison time
At this point, I have trouble imagining more than a two game suspension. This is great.
And not an armchair, lawyer "Twelve" to be found. I wonder, where's all the .nutters that "predicted" at least a year in prison? Speak up,12th man.

I CAN'T HEAR YOU.
  • buck
  • Veteran
SENTENACE

1. 11 days on work days

12 jail sentence--given 1 day credit for time served plus 11 days on work crew--no time in jail

-consecutive Mondays starting on July 28
-Can change schedule with the Courts consent

2. Probation for three years

For three years Smith can not.
-Drink alcohol
-posses a gun
-posses ammunition

3. $2,000 fine

4. 235 hours community service

-About 29.5 days community

-Community service and actual work days comes to a little more than 40 days

Originally posted by buck:

-Drink alcohol
-posses a gun
-posses ammunition

He'll never make it lol.

Picking up trash once a week or 11 straight days in jail? lol yeah I think he made the right decision.

-Drink alcohol
-posses a gun
-posses ammunition

He'll never make it lol.

Awww come on, yeah he can

-Drink alcohol
-posses a gun
-posses ammunition

He'll never make it lol.

We'll see. He's talked a lot in interviews about how having a child has changed him and he wants to "be a man." I've seen a lot of cases where the birth of a child has changed a person.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
He'll never make it lol.

my thoughts exactly. dude loves the sauce.
Originally posted by JimsSweatshirt:

-Drink alcohol
-posses a gun
-posses ammunition

He'll never make it lol.

Awww come on, yeah he can

I hope so! The guns should be easy, but the alcohol might be tricky. Isn't he an addict? Hopefully he's truly matured and has a good support system around him now.
I wonder if they'll let me volunteer to help him pick up trash
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
He'll never make it lol.

my thoughts exactly. dude loves the sauce.

That's my big concern, the alcohol. Let's see what Aldon is made of. 3 years sober is an eternity for an addict.
Share 49ersWebzone