LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 173 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
just another thug. Jh better stop building houses for homeless people, tell them to get a job and pay rent like the rest of us do and get control of his football team. I thought we were done with distractions with this team after sing left, guess not.

This makes you think Harbaugh's lost control of his football team . . . even a little bit? . . . also thug? He can't baby sit his players 24/7, although Aldon Smith might get a little more attention from JH now . . . and probably his teammates.
the first 3 words of my post were in jest, the rest were not. i do understand your thoughts, thank you for giving me something new to digest here.

lol, that wasn't in jest?

not really.no

i still laughed.
OMG a rich 21 year old went to a house party during the offseason and wanted to have a good time.
ALL DONE, my man, if you feel the need to go to parties, come on down to Paso Robles and we can assure you of no incidents. Also, you should keep in mind, Aldon, that in a few short yrs, EVERYONE is going to be looking to you for leadership. YOU will be the main man. You, Aldon will be the face, and the hopes of the 49ers. Not saying that a guy can't have fun, but you are in a position to have thousands of fans, a lot kids, looking to you as their hero. Now is the time to sit down and decide: Do I go to any party or do I pick and choose, and see to it that there is no trouble nor potential trouble makers at said party. Generally speaking , if things start getting out of hand, tempers flare, or whatever, it is time to skedaddle. I've been at a few parties like that, but once I sense someone getting overly rowdy, or nasty, I just pull up and go home. It isn't hard , Aldon, it just takes some pre-thought and resolution, that once a party starts going south, bail out. Remember, you are one day soon going to be the face of the 49ers...a rare and awesome privilege. It's time to do the sit down, map out your future party plans, and get on with life.

Most of probably could find a party where there are fights, chaos, whatever. You need to choose the ones that aren't like that. You were lucky, ALL DONE. Don't press your luck.Grow to be the 49er franchise face....but get real with the party scene. Remember the NYG WR who shot himself in the leg with his own gun and then went to prison for two yrs? Well....that's who you don't want to be like.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by schmons:
OMG a rich 21 year old went to a house party during the offseason and wanted to have a good time.

yea. nothing ruins a perfectly good time at a party more than being stabbed. owi, getting stabbed. I am just thinking somewhere along the line the niners and the coaches have to do more with this guy than just issue some generic statement saying we are glad he is ok.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
At least he's OK.But it isn't like he's one of those guys on the Detroit Lions. Aldon is a good kid. And from what I read in the article Aldon was trying to break up a fight, not apart of it. Of course I wasn't there so I don't know the nature of the party itself. But I do think that Aldon needs to be smarter about where he does his parting. I know from personal experience that house parties are dangerous places to have fun, and very often ends tragically. Aldon - and many pro athletes for that matter - have to understand that they are no longer just guys on the block anymore. "Keeping it real" and having fun isn't worth your life and career.

True, at least he wasn't shot.

He's had a few questionable decisions like many of us have had as young buck. Except the kid is a 22 year old pro athlete with 1st round money...could be an easy way to get sucked in a downward spiral. A situation like this could very well lead him into carrying a gun (hope thats not the case). A veteran mentor could help him, just hope it doesn't end up like the Reggie White and Jerome Brown story.
Originally posted by schmons:

yea. nothing ruins a perfectly good time at a party more than being stabbed. owi, getting stabbed. I am just thinking somewhere along the line the niners and the coaches have to do more with this guy than just issue some generic statement saying we are glad he is ok.

Paging Harry Edwards. I was willing to give Aldon the benefit of the doubt with the DUI. Everyone makes mistakes now and then. But this is it. Aldon is playing with fire. Everyone knows the old adage. Play with fire and you're going to get burned.

Let's just hope he can wake up and come out of this period of his life unscathed. Many a promising career has been cut short by young men who could not grow out of the thug lifestyle.

Aldon is living the thug lifestyle. There's a problem with that. I hope he can grow out of it.
Yea, this is pretty disheartening to hear. It's been less than 5 months since his DUI. I hoped that the DUI would've opened his eyes, looks like it didn't. He needs to take Fangio's advice about staying humble and realize thst advice doesn't just pertain to the football field but to life as well. He obviously needs to stop or the very least tone down his partying ways. 100+ random people at your house can only lead to trouble
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Paging Harry Edwards. I was willing to give Aldon the benefit of the doubt with the DUI. Everyone makes mistakes now and then. But this is it. Aldon is playing with fire. Everyone knows the old adage. Play with fire and you're going to get burned.

Let's just hope he can wake up and come out of this period of his life unscathed. Many a promising career has been cut short by young men who could not grow out of the thug lifestyle.

Aldon is living the thug lifestyle. There's a problem with that. I hope he can grow out of it.

Agree completely, especially the need for a mentor/adviser like Edwards was. Kid has got to wake up before he finds himself in a downward spiral.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i love the niners but i am not going to gloss this over and sweep it away just cuz he puts up amazing sack numbers. he learned nothing from he owi as he put himself right back into a negative situation
He's from the dirty south.....people always get stabbed at parties.

Niners should not wait on the league office and suspend Smith for 2-4 games now. Personally i get sick of reading about these pro sports stars that are always getting into trouble. All the money and fame in the world can not make a moron smart.
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Niners should not wait on the league office and suspend Smith for 2-4 games now. Personally i get sick of reading about these pro sports stars that are always getting into trouble. All the money and fame in the world can not make a moron smart.

Ok I realize you're pissed, but c'mon man, Aldon is a key part of this team and is a young, single millionaire. Something we can talk about it but none of us really can relate to.

A DUI is bad, being at a party where someone gets shot is bad, but it's all about how he responds now. Does he shrug it off and continue his destructive behavior or does he change? We were hoping he'd only need the DUI to change his behavior, but maybe he needed more. Put it this way, family, fans, friends, teammates, and coaches will all be on his case now.

He is an extremely talented player, the Niners have to use finesse with him, because they need him!
Originally posted by leakyfausett:

Nope. What he did was reckless and stupid. No intent or malice here, from what we know so far. Maybe some TC suspensions for conduct detrimental to the team, but NO games.

He is young and rich, it happens. He needs to lean and grow from this, that will be the key to his rehabillitation. He needs to chill with Alex Boone, who went down this road already.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Jul 1, 2012 at 2:11 PM ]
LOL @ people looking for disciplinary actions. What a joke. He went to a party and tried to break up a fight. The result is obviously terrible, but he didn't do anything wrong.

A year ago my father was shot by his step-son while watching football in his living room. Of course a news article was published online and guess who the uninformed buffoon posters blamed? My father, for "putting himself in a bad situation." In reality, his wife's son was just a lunatic who supposedly blacked out and thought he was shooting somebody else. But, since people weren't told this, they assumed he did something wrong and deserved what happened. Point being, if you weren't there, you don't know what happened. Period.

And if you're seriously gonna b***h about him being at a house party, you're doing nothing more than looking for a reason to b***h. I highly doubt he showed up looking for trouble or trying to be a thug, as one if you people put it. He has the right to do whatever he wants, just like any of you.
What was his situation growing up. Is he from the ghetto or from suburbia? Not that it matters but i am curious.
Share 49ersWebzone