LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 287 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by buck:
In 2013, there were 214,828 arrests for DUI in California.

Nation wide, there were 1,171,935 arrests for DUI in 2013.

The 10 states with the most DUI arrests.

1. California-----214,828
2. Texas----------90,066
3. Florida--------61,852
4. Pennsylvania---53,319
5. North Carolina--49,599
6. Wisconsin-------40,549
7. Arizona---------39,746
8. Michigan-------35,534
9. Washington-----34,952
10. Missouri-------34,004

http://www.statisticbrain.com/number-of-dui-arrests-per-state/

Have to ask what is going on in California?

They have a lot of people who live there. The top 4 are very populous states. Lots of people = lots of drivers. Lots of drivers = lots of potential exposure to DUI.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by BobS:
I don't find it that interesting, it is just telling it the way it is. It points out what most of the blind homers in here want to ignore. Multiple offenses in a short period of time pretty much kill any chance of leniency. The last act pretty much shows the guy is a problem drinker or has zero sense. How many people over the age of 10 know you don't say "bomb" in an airport whether joking or not.
If this was a Seahawk player, the mood on the board from these people you classify would be completely different. I hate the double standard just because he wears our colors. Bad behavior is bad behavior, regardless of the jersey, and shouldn't ever be dismissed or minimalized because someone has talent.

Players should wear the jersey with pride on the field and off the field. They represent us, our team, our community. When they behave badly, it reflects bad upon us. I hate the way the Niners are being looked upon by the country at this point.

I agree 100%. Almost all the posters defending Aldon, are the same people who shout "Rapelesberger" and call Ray Lewis a murderer, when neither were convicted of those crimes. Then they say we shouldn't judge Aldon because he hasn't been convicted yet.

Even if Aldon, through the miracle of great attorneys, manages to avoid any charges, or at least get them knocked down to very minor offenses, it doesn't change his pattern of behavior and decision making.

The young man obviously has some issues that need to be dealt with before he does something so self destructive that it ruins his career and/or life.

You can dismiss one or even two incidents as random accidents or youthful mistakes, but when you have string of incidents like Aldon has, at some point you need to make a connection that the common denominator is this young man and his actions. It's not a coincidence, it's a pattern.
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1m 49ers are not expected to pick up the fifth-year option on LB Aldon Smith's contract, per league source.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1m 49ers are not expected to pick up the fifth-year option on LB Aldon Smith's contract, per league source.

well, this could get interesting

This would be bizarre if it happens.
Originally posted by English:

This would be bizarre if it happens.

I think all these guys are just going off of what they are hearing about us picking it up right now. I think we wait till the April 29 court date is over and as long as something like him being sentenced to prison or more horrible details coming out, we'll see it picked up by the deadline. Simply no reason not to pick it up, they can void it before the 2015 league year and the $ is less than it would cost to franchise tag him.

I said it before but I think they can pick it up and still communicate it as such so that the PR blow back and locker room reaction is minimized. All they really have to do to accomplish this is say something to the effect of they are standing by Aldon during this difficult time in his life, he's a great player whom they hope can turn his life around and be a 49er for life but that they have explained to him that this continued behavior will not be tolerated going fwd.

Must be going by what Kawakami said. I don't see them letting Aldon go and not getting anything back in return, A trade is more believable IMO.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

2. Texas----------90,066
3. Florida--------61,852
4. Pennsylvania---53,319
8. Michigan-------35,534
9. Washington-----34,952

They have a lot of people who live there. The top 4 are very populous states. Lots of people = lots of drivers. Lots of drivers = lots of potential exposure to DUI.

California has more than 100% more DUI arrests than Texas and more DUI arrests than Texas and Florida combined.

Population size alone does not account for the differences.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersOnMINE:

Must be going by what Kawakami said. I don't see them letting Aldon go and not getting anything back in return, A trade is more believable IMO.

Or if they're looking to suspend him for this season or at least a larger portion of it, his value could be a lot lower as he enters FA. So potentially if Aldon stays clean they might be able to sign him to a cheaper long term deal with protections against him screwing up again after sitting out most of the year.
DP
[ Edited by JimA49ers on Apr 18, 2014 at 8:00 AM ]

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

2. Texas----------90,066
3. Florida--------61,852
4. Pennsylvania---53,319
8. Michigan-------35,534
9. Washington-----34,952

California has more than 100% more DUI arrests than Texas and more DUI arrests than Texas and Florida combined.

Population size alone does not account for the differences.

revenue generator
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by matt49er:
I think all these guys are just going off of what they are hearing about us picking it up right now. I think we wait till the April 29 court date is over and as long as something like him being sentenced to prison or more horrible details coming out, we'll see it picked up by the deadline. Simply no reason not to pick it up, they can void it before the 2015 league year and the $ is less than it would cost to franchise tag him.

I said it before but I think they can pick it up and still communicate it as such so that the PR blow back and locker room reaction is minimized. All they really have to do to accomplish this is say something to the effect of they are standing by Aldon during this difficult time in his life, he's a great player whom they hope can turn his life around and be a 49er for life but that they have explained to him that this continued behavior will not be tolerated going fwd.

I agree, I think they will pick up Aldon's option, but they are *publicly* putting pressure on him to shape up. That's how I'm reading things. If they are smart and there are no other facts that we don't know of, if he shapes up this next year, he'll be a 49er for a long time.
I ain't a "league source" buy we're picking up that option!
When does it have to be picked by?
Originally posted by CWin4949:
When does it have to be picked by?

May 3rd. It will be done
Share 49ersWebzone