LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 333 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

I'm confident Aldon Smith will learn how to channel his demons. All of this just seems like over-grown child type thing. He's like a black Billy Madison.
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Let's just trade Aldon to the Raiders. As long as we get good picks for him there is no way this can bite us in the ass. What's the chances of Oakland going to a Super Bowl and beating us due to a monster game from Aldon??? They seem to have a hard on for niners anyways (Brown, Rogers), they have plenty of cap space to sign him to a monster contract, and they have a high first round draft pick.

No.
Suspension likely for San Francisco 49ers' Aldon Smith: Ian Rapoport reported that the Sa... http://t.co/adKwdO4QIx #NFL, #MNF, #Footbal
im pretty sure this is a really stupid question, but if he does get suspended for the whole season, does that include playoffs if we're in them? or is it just regular season
Originally posted by buck:
First, I may wrong but I do not think that Aldon Smith has ever been suspended.

He has been in the league for three years. The maximum number of regular season games that he could have played in 48. He has played in 43 games.

He has missed 5 games in his career. All of those missed games were last year. He missed the games while he was in rehab. He was not suspended.

Saying that Aldon Smith is "a guy who will probably be suspended again this year." clearly implies that he has been suspended previously.

Calling him a guy who is often suspended paints a distorted view of reality.

He has missed 5 games in three years. He has missed less than two games a year.

Maybe he will become a player who is suspended for 4-6 games/year, but as of yet he has not been one of those players.

Make no mistake, Aldon Smith has made a number of major errors.

But, repeatedly asserting or implying that he has been suspended strikes me as dishonest.

headscratch]
Originally posted by buck:
First, I may wrong but I do not think that Aldon Smith has ever been suspended.

He has been in the league for three years. The maximum number of regular season games that he could have played in 48. He has played in 43 games.

He has missed 5 games in his career. All of those missed games were last year. He missed the games while he was in rehab. He was not suspended.

Saying that Aldon Smith is "a guy who will probably be suspended again this year." clearly implies that he has been suspended previously.

Calling him a guy who is often suspended paints a distorted view of reality.

He has missed 5 games in three years. He has missed less than two games a year.

Maybe he will become a player who is suspended for 4-6 games/year, but as of yet he has not been one of those players.

Make no mistake, Aldon Smith has made a number of major errors.

But, repeatedly asserting or implying that he has been suspended strikes me as dishonest.

headscratch]

Everybody knows that the Niners avoided a league imposed suspension last year by the rehab. Otherwise, Goodell would have stepped in and taken care of business himself. Don't think this is going to work a second time, It was a team imposed suspension- get healthy and come back.

He wasn't missing last year because he spent a month building hospitals in Ghana. his actions caused him to miss games, as imposed by some outside force. That is a suspension.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Apr 17, 2014 at 8:14 PM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Everybody knows that the Niners avoided a suspension last year by the rehab. Otherwise, Goodell would have stepped in and taken care of business himself. Don't think this is going to work a second time, It was a team imposed suspension- get healthy and come back.

He wasn't missing last year because he spent a month building hospitals in Ghana. his actions caused him to miss games, as imposed by some outside force. That is a suspension.
Originally posted by midrdan:
MadDog, I respect your analysis a great deal, but Aldon Smith is the best OLB in the league. He is the most dominant pass rusher the 49ers have had since Haley. And yes, he's a troubled young man. So was Lawrence Taylor, who was a first ballot HOFer. The Giants won two SBs with that man. So was Haley. He won 5 SBs. The bottom line is that the 49ers need Aldon Smith and his talent commands $8-10 million per year. They need to do everything that they can to help him through his personal issues but they also need to do everything they can to keep him under contract.

And I think the analogy to Manning was in committing $18 million per year to a guy coming off neck surgery. At the time it was perceived as a huge risk. It may be a huge risk to sign Smith too, but the reward is well worth it.

Pro Football Focus graded him out as the number 5 OLB in the NFL last year, which is very good, but not the best.

The NFL is quite different in this era. It is much more sensitive to off the field issues, so suspensions are more common. That is the concern the team will need to overcome. Can they trust him with a big money contract knowing that he is going to break the law at least once every year, unless he has a "Come to Jesus" moment and gets his act together.
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:
Suspension likely for San Francisco 49ers' Aldon Smith: Ian Rapoport reported that the Sa... http://t.co/adKwdO4QIx #NFL, #MNF, #Footbal

Since he is a terrorist, perhaps a voluntary water boarding session might be an option instead of a suspension?
Let's say his suspension is for the entire year does that still count as a service year? What I mean is will his contract be up after the year suspension if they don't pick up his option?
Pro Football Focus graded him out as the number 5 OLB in the NFL last year, which is very good, but not the best.

Aldon da Gawd can check into rehab in the beginning of the season, miss 5-6 games, come back in the middle of the season and still ball out and be top 5 elite in his position.
Originally posted by saj4423:
Let's say his suspension is for the entire year does that still count as a service year? What I mean is will his contract be up after the year suspension if they don't pick up his option?
Good question

• xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Let's just trade Aldon to the Raiders. As long as we get good picks for him there is no way this can bite us in the ass. What's the chances of Oakland going to a Super Bowl and beating us due to a monster game from Aldon??? They seem to have a hard on for niners anyways (Brown, Rogers), they have plenty of cap space to sign him to a monster contract, and they have a high first round draft pick.

trade him for the raiders' pick on draft day if mack is there.
Originally posted by NeonNiner:

Aldon da Gawd can check into rehab in the beginning of the season, miss 5-6 games, come back in the middle of the season and still ball out and be top 5 elite in his position.

Lol while practicing drunk and probably playing buzzed, drunk or hungover.

BEASTIMAL.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by NeonNiner:

Lol while practicing drunk and probably playing buzzed, drunk or hungover.

BEASTIMAL.

Originally posted by BrianGO:
Ray Rice - Knocked out his fiancee and dragged her body along the ground - Pro Bowler - Super Bowl Champion
OJ Simpson - Butchered his wife with a knife - Hall-of-Famer
Charles Haley - Psycho lunatic, who masturbated in teammates faces routinely and pissed and shat all over the team facility - Pro-Bowler - 5 X Super Bowl Champion.
Leonard Little - DUI on an expressway at HIGH SPEED, killing a lady. Pro Bowler.
Jeff Garcia - DUI - Pro Bowler
Darren Sharper - Serial Rapist - Pro Bowler - Super Bowl Champion
Scot McCloughan - Alcoholic - Drafted most of our team - Won a Super Bowl with the Seahawks
Ray Lewis - Associated with killers - Hall-of-Famer - Super Bowl Champion
Bill Romanowski - Beat up his own teammates, injured one badly enough to force retirement. Steroid user. - Pro Bowler - 4 X Super Bowl Champion
Ben Roethlisberger - Accused of rape - Pro Bowler - Super Bowl Champion
Michael Irvin - Cocaine user - Hall-of-Famer - Super Bowl Champion
Lawrence Taylor - Cocaine user, plead guilty to statutory rape of a minor - Hall-of-Famer - Super Bowl Champion
Michael Vick - Plead guilty of animal cruelty, tested positive for MJ - Pro-Bowler

Many of these players were allowed to stay on their team and / or return to the NFL and continue their productive careers, but these are all quire boys compared to the worst of them all, Aldon Smith...

Aldon Smith - DUI - Owned a firearm that was slightly different from a legal one - Said, "I have a bomb" in jest to a TSA agent - Pro-Bowler

Although these crimes are far worse than what was perpetrated by the people above, I fail to see how Aldon Smith's actions will prevent him from:
A - Continued success on the football field, and
B - Helping our team win a Super Bowl

If someone could please explain to me how Aldon Smith will prevent A and B from happening please do. If you can't, but still want him off the team, please explain why you don't want the 49ers to win a Super Bowl.

If he isn't playing, he's not helping us win. This isn't a hard concept to grasp. At this point if we can expect atleast 1 suspendable action per offseason...how much do you think he will be playing?
why not offer JJ Watt big $$?

safer investment
Share 49ersWebzone