LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 132 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by KegBert:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Again, and i reiterate, we are not going to drop a hall of fame outside linebacker for some juvenile delinquency.

If a scrub WR like Riley Cooper can say he wants to beat up every n****r in here and keep his job then Aldon is not going to get cut for saying he has a bomb in an airport.

It is just not going to happen.

Agreed. It's just the way the NFL and professional sports in general work, Aldon is way too talented of a player to just let go because he's made some mistakes.

Yup. And most of his mistakes didn't harm anyone. The DUIs are the worst by far but fortunately, no one was injured.

The house party, having illegal guns and this bomb thing are just acts of stupidity only because the laws say so. Victimless crimes due to an overreaching government. If these last few things weren't against the law, his actions wouldn't be a big deal. .
There are thousands of African American federal employees, so, therefore, Riley Cooper did indeed provoke the federal government, by this logic.

Obama didn't take Riley Cooper's message to kindly.

Yup good point.

I am all for Aldon Smith staying, he just needs to learn some humility.
Again, and i reiterate, we are not going to drop a hall of fame outside linebacker for some juvenile delinquency.

If a scrub WR like Riley Cooper can say he wants to beat up every n****r in here and keep his job then Aldon is not going to get cut for saying he has a bomb in an airport.

So true!
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
There are thousands of African American federal employees, so, therefore, Riley Cooper did indeed provoke the federal government, by this logic.

Obama didn't take Riley Cooper's message to kindly.

Yup good point.

I am all for Aldon Smith staying, he just needs to learn some humility.

Yup. He's young and dumb with a lot of money. I think he needs his family to move out here or something.
The question is not really about cutting him, but rather offering him a big-money future contract based on his off-the-field issue. I don't think anyone here thinks he is going to get cut. The cap number for him is too small.

When you are talking about $10 million/year, then the story is different. You can't have guys making that money being suspended for 4-6 games/year, plus humilating the franchise with a string of arrests.
Originally posted by NinerGM:

I agree somewhat, but in terms of paying for potential ... I can't see the Niners carrying a player that may not even play this year. Here's the problem: we don't know Aldon's mental state. The 49ers probably have a closer idea of what that is .... and if it's just a juvenile thing, I understand. I think no one knows the final outcome until the the legal system finishes with him and then until the NFL executes it ban - but one thing is for sure; he will not be suiting up on opening day.

Real, serious pass rushers.

You know how hard they are to find. You and I can name the ones that have suited up for us. The Charles Haley's. The Fred Dean's.

You can't see us carrying such a player who might not even play this year? BS. Such a player turns games. Wins games. Letting such a player go is a franchise mistake. Ask DeBartolo about Haley. Ask the Chargers about Dean.

You do not give such a player to your opposition.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The question is not really about cutting him, but rather offering him a big-money future contract based on his off-the-field issue. I don't think anyone here thinks he is going to get cut. The cap number for him is too small.

When you are talking about $10 million/year, then the story is different. You can't have guys making that money being suspended for 4-6 games/year, plus humilating the franchise with a string of arrests.
Unless he messes up beyond repair we will sign the best pass rusher in the NFL long term for big money for the same reason every other team would in our shoes...because we can! If Aldon were a free agent all other teams that had cap space would open their pocket books to write him a check because they could! Just like teams scrambled to pay Peyton Manning as a free agent they would be scurrying about for Aldon Smith!
Originally posted by NinerGM:

I agree somewhat, but in terms of paying for potential ... I can't see the Niners carrying a player that may not even play this year. Here's the problem: we don't know Aldon's mental state. The 49ers probably have a closer idea of what that is .... and if it's just a juvenile thing, I understand. I think no one knows the final outcome until the the legal system finishes with him and then until the NFL executes it ban - but one thing is for sure; he will not be suiting up on opening day.

Why wouldn't he play this year? And why wouldn't he be suiting up opening day? Marshawn Lynch had a DUI case pending from years ago and wasn't suspended. And this was after he was already convicted on a concealed weapons charge from before.

Unless his gun case gets resolved quickly, which his defense team will probably delay delay delay, he probably will be suiting up opening day. He already missed four games in relation to the DUI crash so i doubt he gets suspended even more for that charge. And this latest TSA is just b******t and charges probably won't even be filed.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Apr 17, 2014 at 12:41 PM ]
Originally posted by Jcool:
Green Bay Packers ‏@packers

Where do you draw the line on character? http://oak.ctx.ly/r/x9v2

Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Green Bay Packers ‏@packers

Where do you draw the line on character? http://oak.ctx.ly/r/x9v2

Perhaps they might consider Clay Matthews the roid monkey PED user that went after Kap out of bounds as a character model. Or Favre or Darren Sharper??

Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Unless he messes up beyond repair we will sign the best pass rusher in the NFL long term for big money for the same reason every other team would in our shoes...because we can! If Aldon were a free agent all other teams that had cap space would open their pocket books to write him a check because they could! Just like teams scrambled to pay Peyton Manning as a free agent they would be scurrying about for Aldon Smith!

I would argue that is not the best pass rusher in the league. He wasn't in 2011, 2012, nor 2013. Robert Quinn, Robert Mathis, JJ Watt are the best pass rushers in the league.

Some might say within the organization that he has already messed up beyond repair, especially if alcohol was involved. It appears the team is pissed off with this latest incident. The term Baalke used was "disappointed", but from some of the local scribes it appears that the team is also angry.

As for Peyton Manning, he is the gold standard for the NFL. Certified first ballot HOF, a good guy in the community, and the face of the NFL. Not sure teams would scramble for a big money payday for Aldon, especially if suspended any substantial length of time this year. I can't see an NFL franchise laying out $10 million/year for a guy who might miss a quarter season/year, half a season, or more. And, the more he gets in trouble, the more the Commish is going to level suspensions against him.
I would argue that is not the best pass rusher in the league. He wasn't in 2011, 2012, nor 2013. Robert Quinn, Robert Mathis, JJ Watt are the best pass rushers in the league.

Some might say within the organization that he has already messed up beyond repair, especially if alcohol was involved. It appears the team is pissed off with this latest incident. The term Baalke used was "disappointed", but from some of the local scribes it appears that the team is also angry.

As for Peyton Manning, he is the gold standard for the NFL. Certified first ballot HOF, a good guy in the community, and the face of the NFL. Not sure teams would scramble for a big money payday for Aldon, especially if suspended any substantial length of time this year. I can't see an NFL franchise laying out $10 million/year for a guy who might miss a quarter season/year, half a season, or more. And, the more he gets in trouble, the more the Commish is going to level suspensions against him.

Any of those guys have 42 sacks in 43 games at the age of 24? Aldon has also hurt his own production due to off field issues and having to play into shape last year. Also he played through injury late 2012 where he would surely have broken Strahans record. Also other than Watt will those other guys make the HOF? I am betting Aldon can if he gets his act together off the field!

Peyton is a QB so fine he is valued more but Aldon would be hot at his age and production. And teams would shell out because of this very quickly and immediate if he is released!!
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Apr 17, 2014 at 12:57 PM ]

Again, here are our options:

A) Keep a guy who will be one of the greatest pass rushers of all time.

B) Watch him be one of the greatest pass rushers of all time on another team.

Its ok, we can just be the team who doesnt tolerate questionable behavior, instead of being a Super Bowl champion. We'll be the most honorable mediocre team in the NFL.

Nothing has changed with Aldon's status. The TSA issue was very, VERY obviously the notorious LAX douchebags flexing their muscles over a sarcastic comment and arguing. The fact that people are fed up with Aldon getting negative attention doesnt make this issue a "fireable" offense. Too many hasty and emotionally driven opinions on this board, and among fans in general.

Releasing Aldon and/or Culliver would just be the 49ers cutting off their nose to spite their face.
Originally posted by Niners99:

Its ok, we can just be the team who doesnt tolerate questionable behavior, instead of being a Super Bowl champion. We'll be the most honorable mediocre team in the NFL.

Nothing has changed with Aldon's status. The TSA issue was very, VERY obviously the notorious LAX douchebags flexing their muscles over a sarcastic comment and arguing. The fact that people are fed up with Aldon getting negative attention doesnt make this issue a "fireable" offense. Too many hasty and emotionally driven opinions on this board, and among fans in general.

Releasing Aldon and/or Culliver would just be the 49ers cutting off their nose to spite their face.

I would hesitate to lay the blame at the feet of the TSA. I am going to withhold judgment until more facts come out.

Once again, I am not advocating, or thinking, that the team is going to release him. That is not the issue. The issue is whether the team wants to make a long-term, big money investment on a guy who will probably be suspended again this year by Goodell or the team (for the TSA, or the gun charges, or the DUI, or the whatever..the list is beginning to run quite long).

I will state again, I find it hard to believe a team would throw down $10 million/year to a guy who is often suspended, and will certainly be on a short leash by the Commish.

As for "one of the greatest pash rushers", let's slow down here. He has only played three years total (and the numbers are great for that span of time), but his sack productivity dropped susbtantially in 2013 (even if you average his sacks per game with the missing games).
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:

I totally agree. How do you cut a guy that would end up being a top 5 paid defensive player with his very NEXT contract. 20+ teams are hoping to God that the 49ers cut him so they can begin the bidding war. Ironically, you wouldn't be punishing Smith at all by cutting him. You would be rewarding him with a FAT new contract which most likely has a HUGE signing bonus that won't be affected by off field issues.

You want Smith to pay for what he's done, you make it as difficult as possible for his next contract to arrive...
Share 49ersWebzone