There are 88 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Official Aldon Smith Thread *OUT ON BAIL, FRESH OUT Of JAIL....AGAIN

Knowing Goodell, he'll probably suspend Aldon for four games as soon as he returns.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by IMnotsoHO:
Knowing Goodell, he'll probably suspend Aldon for four games as soon as he returns.

The 9ers are expecting it. Beat writers have all said that the NFL is likely to suspend him 2-4 games when he returns.
I think he deserves it, too. I mean, as a Niners fan it sucks that we'll be without him for even more games, but objectively I do think it's the appropriate action for Goodell to take.
Originally posted by sfout:

The 9ers are expecting it. Beat writers have all said that the NFL is likely to suspend him 2-4 games when he returns.

That's stupid. He's already missing games. It should count for something that he's getting help.
Originally posted by niners94:

That's stupid. He's already missing games. It should count for something that he's getting help.
Agreed. It would be ridiculous to suspend him on top of the time he missed. Like our court system, he should get credit for time served. The suspension handed out by the league should just be a formality. If not, I'm going to be beyond pissed. I don't see how someone could see it any other way.

BTW, if the league hasn't suspended him already, what are they waiting for?
[ Edited by IMnotsoHO on Oct 5, 2013 at 11:20 AM ]

I disagree. For starters, Smith is still receiving full paychecks while he is away from the team. In reality, the team is not treating it is as a punishment, but rather a supported leave of absence to help him recover.

I think rehab will help lessen the eventual sentence from the league office, and that they will take notice and be appreciative of it. However, that doesn't change the fact that he's had three serious run-ins with the law (one DUI, one reduced DUI, the outrageous behavior at his party/illegal gun possession), and I think he needs to be punished for those -- both in game eligibility and in his wallet.

My guess is he gets 2 games when he comes back. He would probably have been looking at 4-6 if it weren't for the rehab.
They could just dock him pay for the games and count the time in rehab games as his games missed.
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
They could just dock him pay for the games and count the time in rehab games as his games missed.
Possibly. But that screams of something that the NFL Players Union would have a fit with.
Originally posted by theduke85:
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Possibly. But that screams of something that the NFL Players Union would have a fit with.

How about a fine?

Agreed. It would be ridiculous to suspend him on top of the time he missed. Like our court system, he should get credit for time served. The suspension handed out by the league should just be a formality. If not, I'm going to be beyond pissed. I don't see how someone could see it any other way.

as is reported multiple times, they're waiting for the legal process to play itself out, or at least be a little further along in the process before they decide on anything.
Time served comes to mind
Originally posted by crabman82:

as is reported multiple times, they're waiting for the legal process to play itself out, or at least be a little further along in the process before they decide on anything.

Yup. No point in taking action before the legal process has played out. Better to wait so they can hand out the appropriate length of suspension,
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by crabman82:

Yup. No point in taking action before the legal process has played out. Better to wait so they can hand out the appropriate length of suspension,

His suspension should not be any different than Marshawn Lynch. The league is waiting for the legal process to do its thing as they should with Aldon. His time served should factor in as well
We all want him back but rehab is not punishment. Teams could play this card to circumvent NFL authority in suspensions. It sucks but breaking the law is dumb, he knows this. Better this than a year suspension for killing somebody in a DUI.
  • buck
  • Veteran

For the same reason that Lynch from Seattle has not be suspended--the legal process has to run its course.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home