LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 142 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by billbird2111:
49ers should have suspended him for this game. They should have done it -- no matter what the league does later.

Im all for the suspension Vs the colts, that will also give him time to heal his aching back and be ready for Thurs game against the rams.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by Amir:
49ers should have suspended him for this game. They should have done it -- no matter what the league does later.

lol no.

No, the punishment for repeat offenders is handled by the league. The team has no saying in the matter.

Is it still considered a repeat offense since the initial DUI was reduced to reckless driving?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

lol no.

No, the punishment for repeat offenders is handled by the league. The team has no saying in the matter.

Is it still considered a repeat offense since the initial DUI was reduced to reckless driving?

Good question, I don't know.
After what happened with Dallas last year you would think teams would be pounding into these kids heads that drinking and driving will not be tolerated.

Im not one to say the sky is falling but after that pathetic performance in Seattle (all the stupid penalties) and now this I really think Harbaugh has lost the team. We will be lucky to finish at 8-8.

This game against the Rams will tell us how the season will end. If we pull off a win on a short week then my faith will be restored if they lose its over.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I'm starting to think maybe JJ Watt would have been a better pick. He' just as good of a player if not even 5% better. He gives you 0% trouble. Aldon is a lot of headaches and he is now going to lead to suspensions. He can't help us suspended. He's going to cost us this season. We may lose games for this. His act is getting old at tired at this point....

he wont likely be suspended this season...
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kingairta:
After what happened with Dallas last year you would think teams would be pounding into these kids heads that drinking and driving will not be tolerated.

Im not one to say the sky is falling but after that pathetic performance in Seattle (all the stupid penalties) and now this I really think Harbaugh has lost the team. We will be lucky to finish at 8-8.

This game against the Rams will tell us how the season will end. If we pull off a win on a short week then my faith will be restored if they lose its over.

It's been 2 weeks dude, calm down
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
interesting take...
http://www.foxsportskansascity.com/collegefootball/missouri-tigers/story/Frederickson-Aldon-Smith-full-of-footbal?blockID=942295&feedID=11117

Reading the different comments is interesting to me... I however feel the 9ers should have acted. You can say the league handles punishment, but there are cases where teams have handed out their own in addition to anything the league has done. Personally I'm shocked he was allowed to practice... after this incident.

This dude needs help... he needs a wake up call... his personal issues (believe me there are some serious personal issues when you are intoxicated to almost twice the legal limit at 7am on a day when you have to go to work) need to be dealt with before he ruins his career... his life... someone elses life...

As Harbaugh said in regards to Seattle's issues - "We have to be ABOVE reproach"

did Pittsburgh bench rapeburger?

personal feelings aside, teams 95% of the time do not discipline a guy for off the field issues.
theyre adults. you dont just smack them on the hand with a ruler
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Aldon is 23? Fame came too quick and fast but we need not pile on as mature adults. He needs 49er fans support and encouragement. He needs punishment from the league and NFL but the team and fans need to support him and encourage him to get the help to fight his demons. This is our team and our players. We need to rally behind him instead of against him. Sending out negative words and thoughts from his OWN freaking fans will just further bury his psyche. He doesn't need that. He needs to feel the love

I'm not one saying the 49ers should cut him, or suspend him right away, look to trade him, etc. I say let the legal system and NFL do their thing in due time. While he's playing, I hope he does great and helps the team.

But, he's only 23? Boo-hoo. I had already completed military service, was working a FT job and going to school by the time I was 23...we have 19-20 yr olds leading squads and platoons into combat. But we're supposed to put on the kid gloves for the 23-yr old pampered millionaire with a hyperactive sense of entitlement? If it were Joe Schmo 23-yr old you heard about making these stupid choices, you'd consider him just as big a moron as many think Smith is. But wait, Smith plays for the 49ers so he's supposed to "feel the love"? The idiot once AGAIN decided to get behind the wheel while drunk, and instead of a tree it could've been a kid on the way to school. Like I give a s*** about his "psyche" or what put him on this path. What he needs to "feel" is a fatherly foot up his a** telling him to get straight or he'll be out of league within 5 years and and in prison or dead within 10.
[ Edited by DelCed2486 on Sep 21, 2013 at 9:54 AM ]

Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Aldon is 23? Fame came too quick and fast but we need not pile on as mature adults. He needs 49er fans support and encouragement. He needs punishment from the league and NFL but the team and fans need to support him and encourage him to get the help to fight his demons. This is our team and our players. We need to rally behind him instead of against him. Sending out negative words and thoughts from his OWN freaking fans will just further bury his psyche. He doesn't need that. He needs to feel the love

I'm not one saying the 49ers should cut him, or suspend him right away, look to trade him, etc. I say let the legal system and NFL do their thing in due time. While he's playing, I hope he does great and helps the team.

But, he's only 23? Boo-hoo. I had already completed military service, was working a FT job and going to school by the time I was 23...we have 19-20 yr olds leading squads and platoons into combat. But we're supposed to put on the kid gloves for the 23-yr old pampered millionaire with a hyperactive sense of entitlement? If it were Joe Schmo 23-yr old you heard about making these stupid choices, you'd consider him just as big a moron as many think Smith is. But wait, Smith plays for the 49ers so he's supposed to "feel the love"? The idiot once AGAIN decided to get behind the wheel while drunk, and instead of a tree it could've been a kid on the way to school. Like I give a s*** about his "psyche" or what put him on this path. What he needs to "feel" is a fatherly foot up his a** telling him to get straight or he'll be out of league within 5 years and and in prison or dead within 10.

Word
Originally posted by DelCed2486:

People make mistakes. Many are repeated.
Just stop with the hate.
We have laws. Let the law deal with it.
Just . . . don't hate.

lol no.

It shouldn't be.
Originally posted by Empire49:

lol no.

It shouldn't be.

with fidel goodell it will be. you mis-represent the shield and he'll go after you.
Originally posted by ads_2006:

did Pittsburgh bench rapeburger?

personal feelings aside, teams 95% of the time do not discipline a guy for off the field issues.

Didn't we suspend Antonio Bryant for his Lambo DUI?
Share 49ersWebzone