LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 317 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Ok so here's the deal. Aldon restructured the deal, he gets paid $2M in April, the rest if suppoesdly paid between a Base, and likely a large Roster Bonus. Due to Aldon missing 9 games in 2014, the bonus won't be worth 16 games, instead worth 7 games, so the 49ers get immediate cap relief, but there could be a catch, thanks to Jason at OverTheCap.com, he mentioned how eventually if Smith is on the roster, he will get paid that money, so it's short term cap relief, but in the long run, they have to pay it back. But he mentioned how they could designate Brooks as a june 1 cut, saving $4.7M, which would cover the money that would be owed to Aldon.

I thought that was a foregone conclusion.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Ok so here's the deal. Aldon restructured the deal, he gets paid $2M in April, the rest if suppoesdly paid between a Base, and likely a large Roster Bonus. Due to Aldon missing 9 games in 2014, the bonus won't be worth 16 games, instead worth 7 games, so the 49ers get immediate cap relief, but there could be a catch, thanks to Jason at OverTheCap.com, he mentioned how eventually if Smith is on the roster, he will get paid that money, so it's short term cap relief, but in the long run, they have to pay it back. But he mentioned how they could designate Brooks as a june 1 cut, saving $4.7M, which would cover the money that would be owed to Aldon.

I thought that was a foregone conclusion.

Well some thought it would be smarter to cut him now, so they don't have dead money in 2016.
If this is the case, then what is your opinion on exactly why he did restructure? If the explanation given is so ridiculous, then surely you have the "correct" answer.

Read Matt Maiocco's article. It was Smith's idea to restructure. He needed to get paid well before his September game checks came and we got added protection from any antics he might pull this offseason. Aldon wasn't presented this deal by the FO nor was he forced into it. Aldon willingly restructured to give himself financial relief and the way his agent spins it is this is a good faith effort in securing a long term deal with us. TBH if I were Aldon's agent I would want him to hit the market next offseason and strike it big in FA to a team willing to dish out crazy bucks!
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Bold prediction: we resign him mid-season.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
If this is the case, then what is your opinion on exactly why he did restructure? If the explanation given is so ridiculous, then surely you have the "correct" answer.

Read Matt Maiocco's article. It was Smith's idea to restructure. He needed to get paid well before his September game checks came and we got added protection from any antics he might pull this offseason. Aldon wasn't presented this deal by the FO nor was he forced into it. Aldon willingly restructured to give himself financial relief and the way his agent spins it is this is a good faith effort in securing a long term deal with us. TBH if I were Aldon's agent I would want him to hit the market next offseason and strike it big in FA to a team willing to dish out crazy bucks!

And you think there would be no reluctance from other teams to hand him a mega deal with his history?
Niners know they added a good pot dealer to the team with good weed and prices.

Aldon thinks he isn't gonna get high, but Baalke knows better.
Originally posted by fropwns:

If he performs like he has in the past and keeps his nose clean, I don't think that's bold at all.
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Some people think he was so desperate for money that he would do something as stupid as giving up a $10M guarantee in order to get $2M a little earlier (because they think there is no way the niners would even consider cutting him). Even though if he is on the roster on March 10 there are a thousand banks that would lend him $2M in no time flat considering he has a guaranteed $10M coming to him AND he doesn't have to risk losing any of that money (something probably pretty important to someone so desperate for cash). To some people that makes sense.

This is how the reporting went but then again the zone knows best. Granted this was what his agent said but why do we cut Aldon now and get jack diddly poo for what could be the best pass rusher in the game when we could have just not opted in at first? What sense does that make? Say we cut Aldon. Well like you said any bank would give him $2million bucks that instant and I am saying in addition he would be signed prior to FA or at least have 10 visits lined up with various teams! I think he either needed the cash now and was advised by his agent to pursue this restructuring and/or he wanted to show us he can be trusted to be extended to a lucrative long-term deal. Like Fro said, I think if things go well we extend him mid season
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Mar 5, 2015 at 7:20 PM ]
Aldon Smith will have 15+ sacks next year. BOOK IT
So is Aldon in trouble if he drinks or only if he gets in trouble?

• pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
We werent going to cut him. He has had no incidents since we decided to use the 5th year option. its obviously just my opinion

Looks like he did it to help the Niners free up immediate cap space. Nobody was going to cut him.
  • bors
  • Veteran
wow I am really enjoying this little sweep of 49er good news it is a breath of fresh air from all the negativity we have experienced this offseason from the Harbaugh leaving do the oh my God we're going to suck with Tom Sula this is nice we should enjoy it and Alden is showing that he is a Niner player
And you think there would be no reluctance from other teams to hand him a mega deal with his history?

I think that he would have been the second most sought after player in FA by a long shot. I think that there are countless teams that have to spend money this offseason and that a couple would have given Aldon Smith around what Clay Matthews got. 24 yo pass rushers that have 44 sacks in 50 games don't sit around waiting for final cuts to join rosters in the offseason. They get paid megabucks the instant they hit the market.
Originally posted by fropwns:

I hope so because if we don't we can't afford him FA 2016!
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

It didn't have to be a mega deal. There would be a huge market to give him a 1 year 10 million dollar deal, more than he is making here. If he got cut, he would have made more for a 1 year deal somewhere else.
Share 49ersWebzone