LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 357 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Aldon Smith's player rep calls his restructured contract a bet on himself.

Smith's $9.754 million salary was set to become fully guaranteed on Tuesday, but he's agreed to turn it into a series of roster bonuses. 2015 is the final year of Smith's rookie contract. "He's basically saying, 'I'm willing to bet on myself that I will not do anything stupid,'" Smith's rep said. According to his agent, Smith's ultimate goal is to sign a long-term deal with the 49ers.

Source: CSN Bay Area

Originally posted by Kolohe:

Smith's $9.754 million salary was set to become fully guaranteed on Tuesday, but he's agreed to turn it into a series of roster bonuses. 2015 is the final year of Smith's rookie contract. "He's basically saying, 'I'm willing to bet on myself that I will not do anything stupid,'" Smith's rep said. According to his agent, Smith's ultimate goal is to sign a long-term deal with the 49ers.

This is actually pretty awesome
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
is it really restructuring or just rewording his contract ?

Hopefully, he doesn't go over board with purple drank and the likes with the extra cash he gets
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
is it really restructuring or just rewording his contract ?

Hopefully, he doesn't go over board with purple drank and the likes with the extra cash he gets

the only was this is a restructure is if he Fk ups
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Byisgod:

A player that wants to be in SF, I love it!!!
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Byisgod:

A player that wants to be in SF, I love it!!!

Don't get to excited....His agent said that.
Originally posted by WINiner:
There was zero, nada, No chance Aldon Smith was getting cut sans incident in 5 days.

lol yeah you seem like a great authority on that subject.
Why in the world would he sign that contract? What power do they have over him? I'm sure the Raiders would of backed up the truck for him, issues and all.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Why in the world would he sign that contract? What power do they have over him? I'm sure the Raiders would of backed up the truck for him, issues and all.

I'll just bump this for those that don't get it.

Originally posted by 9erReign:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
He didn't want to get cut and have to take his chances on the FA market. His salary was only guaranteed if he was on the roster on March 10.

First off we aren't cutting him. We took up his option already. Secondly if we foolishly cut an Aldon Smith right now he would be right behind Such as the hottest FA on the market. He would immediately make another team better while netting a monster deal and netting us NOTHING in terms of comp picks. No way we cut him now unless he messed up further. This restructuring says nothing but good stuff about Aldon with him willing to do it

lol ok. Yeah a dude with really no reason to restructure his contract just decided to for no reason on March 5th when the 9ers had to make a decision to keep him on the roster by March 10. If that makes sense for you then cool. It isn't what likely happened though.

After the whole AP, Ray Rice, Greg Hardy thing no NFL team would have given Aldon Smith very much guaranteed money at all this offseason.

This move protects the niners from any f**k ups, gets Aldon his max money this year and if he actually stays clean he still gets paid big next year. Win-win.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

He didn't want to get cut and have to take his chances on the FA market. His salary was only guaranteed if he was on the roster on March 10.

First off we aren't cutting him. We took up his option already. Secondly if we foolishly cut an Aldon Smith right now he would be right behind Such as the hottest FA on the market. He would immediately make another team better while netting a monster deal and netting us NOTHING in terms of comp picks. No way we cut him now unless he messed up further. This restructuring says nothing but good stuff about Aldon with him willing to do it

lol ok. Yeah a dude with really no reason to restructure his contract just decided to for no reason on March 5th when the 9ers had to make a decision to keep him on the roster by March 10. If that makes sense for you then cool. It isn't what likely happened though.

After the whole AP, Ray Rice, Greg Hardy thing no NFL team would have given Aldon Smith very much guaranteed money at all this offseason.

This move protects the niners from any f**k ups, gets Aldon his max money this year and if he actually stays clean he still gets paid big next year. Win-win.
Thanks for being a jerk. Rock on Stoney.

• Kuya
  • Veteran
Yay Aldon!
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Who cares. Another move to free up some cap space and still keep an impact player. Hard to believe how mind numbing our coaching search was for fans and now Baalke is blowing up the week before the league year and free agency starts.

It doesn't free up any cap space.

My bad. It appears to set the stage for the Niners to cut Aldon at anytime this year without having to pay the full $ 9.5 million. That is a positive by itself.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Thanks for being a jerk. Rock on Stoney.

We werent going to cut him. He has had no incidents since we decided to use the 5th year option. its obviously just my opinion
[ Edited by gold49er2183 on Mar 5, 2015 at 6:15 PM ]

• pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WINiner:
There was zero, nada, No chance Aldon Smith was getting cut sans incident in 5 days.

lol yeah you seem like a great authority on that subject.

So do you. Lol
Share 49ersWebzone