LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 156 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Using the Ray Rice case could give hope, or maybe not.

When justifying the two games Rice received, the NFL said ""The discipline that was taken by the NFL is the only discipline that occurred, with respect to Mr. Rice, in this case," Birch, the NFL's senior vice president of labor policy and government affairs, told ESPN Radio. "I think that, were he not an NFL player, I don't know that he would be able to receive any punishment from any other source.""

So is he saying that because Rice did not receive any other punishment the NFL felt that HAD to do something? If that is true, it's a positive for Smith as he was punished last year for his crime.

But the other side of the argument, in the same article, says that many within the NFL think the penalty was to light. If that's true, maybe Goodell tries to correct that image by being harder on Smith. Guess time will tell.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2014/07/30/as-ray-rice-controversy-rages-on-even-some-within-nfl-believe-league-erred-with-punishment/
Originally posted by 49erfaninPA:

When justifying the two games Rice received, the NFL said ""The discipline that was taken by the NFL is the only discipline that occurred, with respect to Mr. Rice, in this case," Birch, the NFL's senior vice president of labor policy and government affairs, told ESPN Radio. "I think that, were he not an NFL player, I don't know that he would be able to receive any punishment from any other source.""

So is he saying that because Rice did not receive any other punishment the NFL felt that HAD to do something? If that is true, it's a positive for Smith as he was punished last year for his crime.

But the other side of the argument, in the same article, says that many within the NFL think the penalty was to light. If that's true, maybe Goodell tries to correct that image by being harder on Smith. Guess time will tell.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2014/07/30/as-ray-rice-controversy-rages-on-even-some-within-nfl-believe-league-erred-with-punishment/

All I got from this is that Goodell is in over his head. No consistency in how he handles these matters whatsoever. His decision could come down to what side of the bed he woke up on that morning.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erfaninPA:

If he tries to do that. That is fundamentally unfair for aldon to be punished for Ray Rice's actions and Goodell' incompetence in handling the Rice case - as opposed to the entirely *separate* case of aldon. I think Aldon should appeal *any* suspension. He should be instead held up in high esteem by the commissioner for *voluntarily* giving up 5 games, and he has been sober since those incidents. The other charges were misdemeanors and didn't involve any violence. At least that's how I feel about it.
This is still squarely on Smith. He is the one that got himself and his team in this predicament. I am not sure why there is not more outrage toward him than Goodell?
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
This is still squarely on Smith. He is the one that got himself and his team in this predicament. I am not sure why there is not more outrage toward him than Goodell?

Because this has been a long unorganized process. There is no standard or set of rules to determine proper punishment. It's all based on what Goodell "feels" like doing.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Because this has been a long unorganized process. There is no standard or set of rules to determine proper punishment. It's all based on what Goodell "feels" like doing.

Which would have been obviated by Smith acting like he should have. Goodell's singular power, and uneven dispensing of justice aside, it was Smith that let it get to this point where GoToHell is involved. Still all on him imo.
I like it. Obviously a step back with Aldon and Bowman not in the lineup, but a good group nonetheless.

Tank has been destroying people early in camp.

Ward was born to play football. Elite instincts to immediately step in and own the slot CB role.

Lemonade was very effective last year, he just needs to take the next step and turn those pressures into sacks.

Wilhoite was solid filling in last year.

We'll be fine.

I hope Ward is no AJ Jenkins, so far he's the opposite in practice
Which would have been obviated by Smith acting like he should have. Goodell's singular power, and uneven dispensing of justice aside, it was Smith that let it get to this point where GoToHell is involved. Still all on him imo.

WHAT's all on him?? There hasnt been any punishment dished out quite yet for you to say it's all on him. That's irrational.

You're basically saying whether it's a 2 year, 3 year, career suspension,...he deserves whatever he gets and should keep his mouth shut about it.

Players are not always going to be angels,...get used to it. We as fans are going to seek for our players to be treated fairly. If you still choose to follow these guys that will undoubtedly get in trouble from time to time then that's a situation imo where we can look and say it's all on you for still choosing to follow and be a fan.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
skuta

Of course! Haven't forgotten about Skuta. I was talking about Nickel D. Skuta will be in the Base D.
i do not know one from the other! i will leave that stuff up to you we did not miss to much of a beat when aldon was out of action last night,, albeit vs some crappy teams,,, and i have no fear about losing him for however long this year
Originally posted by random49er:

WHAT's all on him?? There hasnt been any punishment dished out quite yet for you to say it's all on him. That's irrational.

You're basically saying whether it's a 2 year, 3 year, career suspension,...he deserves whatever he gets and should keep his mouth shut about it.

Players are not always going to be angels,...get used to it. We as fans are going to seek for our players to be treated fairly. If you still choose to follow these guys that will undoubtedly get in trouble from time to time then that's a situation imo where we can look and say it's all on you for still choosing to follow and be a fan.

You are misunderstanding in a BIG way. I said he is in this position because of his OWN actions. What's so hard to understand about that? If he was a responsible citizen like 90+% of the league, he would not be in his current situation.

I do not want him to be suspended. I don't think he should be. I agree that Goodell has way to much power and wields in unevenly. But Aldon put him, and his team in this predicament because of his actions. I can't make it any more plain and simple than that. And there seems to be no one that is pissed at him for it, and are directing their ire at anything else. Does that seem right to you?

Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Its almost certain its gonna be 4 games. Woulda been 6 games but Aldon's rehab stint helped reduce it to 4 games. Who the FCK is gonna rush the passer the 1st 4 games? Offense better be prepared for shootouts.

Four games for legally purchased firearms? WTF?

These aren't hand grenades for f**ks sake. He's not an international arms dealer. He has no gang affiliation. And last but not least, he never HIT A WOMAN.
If he gets four games, then then NFL is basically saying, "Ray Rice's wife deserved what she got. She probably needed a lesson in respect."

Where are the woman's groups? Have they given up? How come gay marriage can be a front page headline for months, but hitting women is laughed off as a joke? Has a cultural shift occurred that I am not aware of? Is FREEDOM becoming illegal, while VIOLENCE is becoming the new hobby? Is that what this is about?

What the f**k is all that pink b******t for? Why are the player's wearing all of that pink b******t? Because they care about women you say? REALLY???
They care about women dying from cancer but they could give a s**t about beating the s**t out them when they make you angry?

NON-VIOLENCE facing a year suspension? Aldon Smith facing suspension? A man who has not lied, cheated or stolen or committed violence?

The NFL Cares???

The NFL LIES!!!
[ Edited by BrianGO on Jul 31, 2014 at 9:17 PM ]
You are misunderstanding in a BIG way. I said he is in this position because of his OWN actions. What's so hard to understand about that? If he was a responsible citizen like 90+% of the league, he would not be in his current situation.

I do not want him to be suspended. I don't think he should be. I agree that Goodell has way to much power and wields in unevenly. But Aldon put him, and his team in this predicament because of his actions. I can't make it any more plain and simple than that. And there seems to be no one that is pissed at him for it, and are directing their ire at anything else. Does that seem right to you?

The costume makes the clown.

Why should I be pissed off at someone who has done nothing to harm me, has never hit a woman, has never taken illegal substances, has never taken performance enhancing substances against the rules of the NFL (unlike the Super Bowl Champions), has risked his own safety to defend another from violence.
Why should this man piss me off?

Put whatever costume you want on him. His ACTIONS are what I care about, not how many b******t laws he broke, not how unfair it is that he can afford a good lawyer, not what a mall cop said about him at the airport. I don't care about the HYPE train, or the tabloid bullship sailing into the sunset. I care about the man UNDER the media costume.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Jul 31, 2014 at 8:11 PM ]
Give the man time served and sit down Goodell.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

The costume makes the clown.

Why should I be pissed off at someone who has done nothing to harm me, has never hit a woman, has never taken illegal substances, has never taken performance enhancing substances against the rules of the NFL (unlike the Super Bowl Champions), has risked his own safety to defend another from violence.
Why should this man piss me off?

Put whatever costume you want on him. His ACTIONS are what I care about, not how many b******t laws he broke, not how unfair it is that he can afford a good lawyer, not what a mall cop said about him at the airport. I don't care about the HYPE train, or the tabloid bullship sailing into the sunset. I care about the man UNDER the media costume.

• Arson
  • Veteran
Its also messed up that he was the victim of a crime, and thats what brought the attention of him to even catch the gun charges, everybody is a felon if you push far enough.
Share 49ersWebzone