LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 221 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by ninerjok:
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
^^^

What is Shefter saying?

According to him Aldon will probably receive a "significant" suspension. You know, some 'inside source' crap. I don't know what to think but wouldn't be that surprised to see 6 games if Schefter's reporting is close to accurate. Gotohell could end up throwing the book at him compared to what Ray Rice got.

If what Shefter is reporting is true and it's say, a 6-8 game suspension, Aldon needs to appeal and I think he has a pretty good case.

Already voluntarily missed 5 games last year to enter rehab (Goodell said himself he would take that into consideration ) and has been sober ever since.

Now if you're looking at just the guns and the LAX incident, anything more than 4 games is excessive.

I'd be convinced that all the flack Goodell received regarding his lenient punishment for Rice got to him and he's looking throw the book at Aldon to make an example of so he can show he's not soft.

Unfortunately for him, he'll probably get even more criticism playing hardball with Aldon. Basically sending the message that of all crimes, KO'ing your wife is one the league is most lenient on.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I hope Schefter is way out in left field on this one. Besides a yr has passed, or thereabouts, and Aldon has done very well. LAX no charges and it was probably bogus anyway. If goodell is fair, he gives aldon probation...and then if he screws up he is gone for season. I like that in that it is lenient, but has a big stick behind it. And it would be deserved. Also, Aldon is a good kid...and I mean KID, but learning that he HAS to mature. I cannot believe aldon misses anymore time. His parents and sponsor can all do a world of good, and aldon can too in the meeting with goodell. I personally would NOT bring up Rice's name in that goodell has to know he fu**ed up on that one. So don't remind him. I like Schefter, but I don't think he gets it here.

Probation, with auto suspension for yr if any further events. Book it.

Him getting arrested and hurting the NFL image is the problem here. Roger really doesn't care if he didn't get charged. Big Ben got 6 games and was never charged with anything.

This is true, but Goodell does care about the steps that Aldon has taken to correct his problems.

As far as I know, Aldon Smith is one of the few, and perhaps the only, NFL players who checked himself into rehab, for a month I believe, after being busted for a DUI.

In my estimation, that rehab and Aldon's willingness to spend approximately 30 days in rehab, should be a major mitigating circumstance that reduces his suspension to the bare minimum.

Aldon has done more to confront his problems than most, and the court added to Aldon's efforts by insisting that Aldon not consume any alcohol for the next three years.

Originally posted by Marvin49:
I hope Schefter is way out in left field on this one. Besides a yr has passed, or thereabouts, and Aldon has done very well. LAX no charges and it was probably bogus anyway. If goodell is fair, he gives aldon probation...and then if he screws up he is gone for season. I like that in that it is lenient, but has a big stick behind it. And it would be deserved. Also, Aldon is a good kid...and I mean KID, but learning that he HAS to mature. I cannot believe aldon misses anymore time. His parents and sponsor can all do a world of good, and aldon can too in the meeting with goodell. I personally would NOT bring up Rice's name in that goodell has to know he fu**ed up on that one. So don't remind him. I like Schefter, but I don't think he gets it here.

Him getting arrested and hurting the NFL image is the problem here. Roger really doesn't care if he didn't get charged. Big Ben got 6 games and was never charged with anything.

..and Ray Rice got 2 games for beating his wife in an elevator.

Makes me wonder if the new CBA makes it more difficult to suspend.

It's the same personal code of conduct policy they didn't do anything new to that policy. It's all up to Roger. And there are different ways of punishment depending on what you are found guilty of. Like trying to compare this to Josh Gordon really doesn't work. Failing drug tests for weed or PED's are things that are layed out in the CBA with defined agreed upon penalties. Thus why Mathis was suspended 4 games for what the NFL deemed a banned substance. Same for Julius Peppers and Shawn Merriman back in the day. Vick, Ray Rice, Big Ben and Aldon are going to be punished under the NFL code of conduct rule. Which the players and the union gave Roger full and final say based on your convictions/or non convictions. If he deems your actions defames the shield regardless of criminal charges then he punishes you. See Big Ben It's not consistent and makes no sense but that's the way it is.
In Hockey we call it the wheel of justice.
Originally posted by buck:

This is true, but Goodell does care about the steps that Aldon has taken to correct his problems.

As far as I know, Aldon Smith is one of the few, and perhaps the only, NFL players who checked himself into rehab, for a month I believe, after being busted for a DUI.

In my estimation, that rehab and Aldon's willingness to spend approximately 30 days in rehab, should be a major mitigating circumstance that reduces his suspension to the bare minimum.

Aldon has done more to confront his problems than most, and the court added to Aldon's efforts by insisting that Aldon not consume any alcohol for the next three years.

I agree. From reports it seems like Ray Rice's wife really made the difference in the meeting. And I remember Roger was more stern on Vick b/c he said Vick initially lied to him about the dog fighting instead of being straight up with him. Aldon needs to bring his parents and his sponsor to the meeting with him. Hopefully they can detail the steps he's been taking to remain sober since the DUI. And that should help him. I still don't think he gets more than 4 games reduced down to 2 games. But you just can't tell with Roger. At times it seems like he doesn't give a f**k and just drops the hammer and other times he seems to really care about the players well being.
[ Edited by lamontb on Jul 31, 2014 at 11:19 AM ]
I have no doubt that Ann Killion, Tim Kawakami, Grant Cohn, Lowell Cohn, and Ray Ratto have variously voiced their views of the "absolute seriousness" of Aldon Smith's actions and their disgust with the "coddling" of Aldon Smith by Jed York, Trent Baalke and Jim Harbaugh, and perhaps by the legal system, itself.

The above mentioned writes seem to be at war with the 49ers' leadership, and I have no doubt that these pundits, in their misguided and false sanctimony, have brought pressure to bear on Goodell.

Those hacks have little actual reporting ability, so what they do instead is try to be Skip Bayless with a keyboard and spit out a bunch of over the top opinions to get a reaction. I doubt Goodell gives a rats ass about what they say, every city has them.
Mike Florio is so damn incompetent. For someone who's supposed to be PFTs inside information guy he shouldn't even have a job. Said he was alarmed to find out that Aldon Smith was in LA yesterday for some kind of hearing related to the allegedly fake bomb threat. I could do his job better than that stupid clown. A bunch of us on this forum already knew Aldon had a follow-up hearing to the LAX incident in lieu of charges being filed against him. Florio thought there were more charges filed LOL and Smith's punishment will be even more severe than originally thought. What a dumbass.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan

I agree. From reports it seems like Ray Rice's wife really made the difference in the meeting. And I remember Roger was more stern on Vick b/c he said Vick initially lied to him about the dog fighting instead of being straight up with him. Aldon needs to bring his parents and his sponsor to the meeting with him. Hopefully they can detail the steps he's been taking to remain sober since the DUI. And that should help him. I still don't think he gets more than 4 games reduced down to 2 games. But you just can't tell with Roger. At times it seems like he doesn't give a f**k and just drops the hammer and other times he seems to really care about the players well being.

I'm going to guess Roger will say 5-6 initially, but that after examining the record, he decided to settle on 4 based on Aldon's voluntary rehab.
Originally posted by fropwns:

I'm going to guess Roger will say 5-6 initially, but that after examining the record, he decided to settle on 4 based on Aldon's voluntary rehab.
on top of that has been sober ever since the event
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AmpLee:
The way Aldon's been dominating camp so far, I'd really love the suspension to be just a fine and time already served. Aldon is primed for a huge year and I'd love to see him knock the snot out of Romo week 1.

This.

#fingers crossed.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Agree, and he's no Lenard Little. He hasn't killed anybody.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DeUh:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
The way Aldon's been dominating camp so far, I'd really love the suspension to be just a fine and time already served. Aldon is primed for a huge year and I'd love to see him knock the snot out of Romo week 1.

This.

#fingers crossed.

Me three. I have my eyes, toes, and two holy crosses crossed!
During Aldons suspension I am still happy with our nickel D

Front 6
MLB:P-Will
MLB: Wilhoite
OLB: Lemonade
OLB: Brooks
DE: Cowboy
DE: Tank

Back 5
CB: T-Brock
CB: Cully
NB: Ward
SS: Bethea
FS: Reid

I cant wait to watch Tank take the Cowboys' unsuspecting OLine to pound town.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
During Aldons suspension I am still happy with our nickel D

Front 6
MLB:P-Will
MLB: Wilhoite
OLB: Lemonade
OLB: Brooks
DE: Cowboy
DE: Tank

Back 5
CB: T-Brock
CB: Cully
NB: Ward
SS: Bethea
FS: Reid

I cant wait to watch Tank take the Cowboys' unsuspecting OLine to pound town.

I like it. Obviously a step back with Aldon and Bowman not in the lineup, but a good group nonetheless.

Tank has been destroying people early in camp.

Ward was born to play football. Elite instincts to immediately step in and own the slot CB role.

Lemonade was very effective last year, he just needs to take the next step and turn those pressures into sacks.

Wilhoite was solid filling in last year.

We'll be fine.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I like it. Obviously a step back with Aldon and Bowman not in the lineup, but a good group nonetheless.

Tank has been destroying people early in camp.

Ward was born to play football. Elite instincts to immediately step in and own the slot CB role.

Lemonade was very effective last year, he just needs to take the next step and turn those pressures into sacks.

Wilhoite was solid filling in last year.

We'll be fine.

skuta
Originally posted by cciowa:
skuta

Of course! Haven't forgotten about Skuta. I was talking about Nickel D. Skuta will be in the Base D.
Share 49ersWebzone