There are 217 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Its almost certain its gonna be 4 games. Woulda been 6 games but Aldon's rehab stint helped reduce it to 4 games. Who the FCK is gonna rush the passer the 1st 4 games? Offense better be prepared for shootouts.
Goodell seems to have painted himself into a corner.

If he gives Aldon more than 2 games after the Rice debacle then [hopefully] the Players Union will b***h about it.

At this point anything over 2 games looks excessive.

AND Goodell still has to doll out some sort of punishment to Irsay.

If he lets Irsay slide it will really look like a double standard to the Players Union, the press and the fans.
[ Edited by LasVegasWally on Jul 31, 2014 at 9:25 AM ]
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
I hope Schefter is way out in left field on this one. Besides a yr has passed, or thereabouts, and Aldon has done very well. LAX no charges and it was probably bogus anyway. If goodell is fair, he gives aldon probation...and then if he screws up he is gone for season. I like that in that it is lenient, but has a big stick behind it. And it would be deserved. Also, Aldon is a good kid...and I mean KID, but learning that he HAS to mature. I cannot believe aldon misses anymore time. His parents and sponsor can all do a world of good, and aldon can too in the meeting with goodell. I personally would NOT bring up Rice's name in that goodell has to know he fu**ed up on that one. So don't remind him. I like Schefter, but I don't think he gets it here.

Probation, with auto suspension for yr if any further events. Book it.
^^^

What is Shefter saying?
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
^^^

What is Shefter saying?

According to him Aldon will probably receive a "significant" suspension. You know, some 'inside source' crap. I don't know what to think but wouldn't be that surprised to see 6 games if Schefter's reporting is close to accurate. Gotohell could end up throwing the book at him compared to what Ray Rice got.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Originally posted by NCommand:
2 at most unless the Ray Rice debacle forces Roger to make a statement with Aldon. It could work for or against us.

There's been much bad press on Good-Dell's handling of the Ray Rice case. I can't see him being lenient, especially to a team on the Left Coast.

Giving a longer suspension to Aldon Smith would only add more fuel to the fire for the critics.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Its almost certain its gonna be 4 games. Woulda been 6 games but Aldon's rehab stint helped reduce it to 4 games. Who the FCK is gonna rush the passer the 1st 4 games? Offense better be prepared for shootouts.

Lemonade, Tank, and Justin Smith? First 2 are supposedly looking like beasts in camp, and we all know about Justin.
Originally posted by ninerjok:
^^^

What is Shefter saying?

According to him Aldon will probably receive a "significant" suspension. You know, some 'inside source' crap. I don't know what to think but wouldn't be that surprised to see 6 games if Schefter's reporting is close to accurate. Gotohell could end up throwing the book at him compared to what Ray Rice got.

Schefter doesn't "work" for the NFL anymore on their Network, he works for ESPN....so I wouldn't be surprised if he is using this situation to set up Goodell.

make false rumor (which sounds believable because of past events)...then ESPN has a story no matter what.

Geek touched on it on top of the page. Although with Adam throwing out there that it will be "significant" then...when it is suppose to be significant and it's not...media/fans will go crazy again on Goodell.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I hope Schefter is way out in left field on this one. Besides a yr has passed, or thereabouts, and Aldon has done very well. LAX no charges and it was probably bogus anyway. If goodell is fair, he gives aldon probation...and then if he screws up he is gone for season. I like that in that it is lenient, but has a big stick behind it. And it would be deserved. Also, Aldon is a good kid...and I mean KID, but learning that he HAS to mature. I cannot believe aldon misses anymore time. His parents and sponsor can all do a world of good, and aldon can too in the meeting with goodell. I personally would NOT bring up Rice's name in that goodell has to know he fu**ed up on that one. So don't remind him. I like Schefter, but I don't think he gets it here.

Him getting arrested and hurting the NFL image is the problem here. Roger really doesn't care if he didn't get charged. Big Ben got 6 games and was never charged with anything.

Him getting arrested and hurting the NFL image is the problem here. Roger really doesn't care if he didn't get charged. Big Ben got 6 games and was never charged with anything.
Originally posted by ninerjok:
^^^

What is Shefter saying?

That's not really what he said.

What he said was that Aldon would meet with the commissioner and he was facing a significant suspension. Aldon also faced jail time in the gun charges and faced charges on the LAX incident.

Facing them doesn't mean they are going to happen...it just means its a potential outcome.
Originally posted by lamontb:

..and Ray Rice got 2 games for beating his wife in an elevator.

Makes me wonder if the new CBA makes it more difficult to suspend.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I do not a clear idea of what will happen when Aldon meets with Goodell.

There are many aspects of the hearing that are unknown---that we can not see because these aspect are behind the scenes, and not readily visible.

I find it somewhat disconcerting to consider the role, and possible impact, that the Bay Area media could play in the decision that will be made.

I have no doubt that Ann Killion, Tim Kawakami, Grant Cohn, Lowell Cohn, and Ray Ratto have variously voiced their views of the "absolute seriousness" of Aldon Smith's actions and their disgust with the "coddling" of Aldon Smith by Jed York, Trent Baalke and Jim Harbaugh, and perhaps by the legal system, itself.

The above mentioned writes seem to be at war with the 49ers' leadership, and I have no doubt that these pundits, in their misguided and false sanctimony, have brought pressure to bear on Goodell.

[ Edited by buck on Jul 31, 2014 at 10:51 AM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by lamontb:

..and Ray Rice got 2 games for beating his wife in an elevator.

Makes me wonder if the new CBA makes it more difficult to suspend.

It's the same personal code of conduct policy they didn't do anything new to that policy. It's all up to Roger. And there are different ways of punishment depending on what you are found guilty of. Like trying to compare this to Josh Gordon really doesn't work. Failing drug tests for weed or PED's are things that are layed out in the CBA with defined agreed upon penalties. Thus why Mathis was suspended 4 games for what the NFL deemed a banned substance. Same for Julius Peppers and Shawn Merriman back in the day. Vick, Ray Rice, Big Ben and Aldon are going to be punished under the NFL code of conduct rule. Which the players and the union gave Roger full and final say based on your convictions/or non convictions. If he deems your actions defames the shield regardless of criminal charges then he punishes you. See Big Ben It's not consistent and makes no sense but that's the way it is.
Share 49ersWebzone