There are 100 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Official Aldon Smith Thread **2015 Incident Tracker- 0**

Originally posted by buck:
There were allegations that he fired a weapon into the air, which is both stupid and illegal.

A person will not be charged with a crime unless there is some solid evidence that crime occurred and that there is a reasonable expectation that the state will be able to get a conviction.

To say that Smith fired a weapon in the air is nothing more than repeating hearsay--it might be or it might not be true.

I think he admitted to shooting the weapon, the real hearsay was that they found pot in his vehicle and then didn't mention it in the police report.
I saw the video and i backs up what I wrote before: TOTALLY blown out of proportion....!!

Handcuff a person etc....

Come on guys! Did you see the officers, how they behaved?

I am not apologetic to Aldon. He should have kept his act clean after last season....

Happy Easter everyone!
We lose Aldon Smith, then we will regret it forever. He will possibly go to one of our NFC rivals , making us weaker and them stronger. Happened with Charles Haley. This guy has the potential to be not just one the best OLB's ever, but one the top 2-3 defensive players of all time.

Keep working with him and get some mentors for this kid and watch him grow(ala Singletary for Vernon). Eventually he will grow up, or will be out of the league possibly banned by Hitler "God" Goodell. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT let this guy go.

It is not like this guy murdered anyone or even injured anyone intentionally. He is not a rapist or child molester. He made mistakes. Eventually he will learn. This guy is worth the minor trouble.
Originally posted by QBguru:
We lose Aldon Smith, then we will regret it forever. He will possibly go to one of our NFC rivals , making us weaker and them stronger. Happened with Charles Haley. This guy has the potential to be not just one the best OLB's ever, but one the top 2-3 defensive players of all time.

Keep working with him and get some mentors for this kid and watch him grow(ala Singletary for Vernon). Eventually he will grow up, or will be out of the league possibly banned by Hitler "God" Goodell. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT let this guy go.

It is not like this guy murdered anyone or even injured anyone intentionally. He is not a rapist or child molester. He made mistakes. Eventually he will learn. This guy is worth the minor trouble.

Fully agree, this isn't even the worst thing he's ever done, the dui are far worse cause he was an actual treat to other people. This is more like he got singled out, got agitated about it, and said something stupid that just blew it out of portion. But really we need to see what the courts do in his cases. To be honest he's a great player, but he is looking at felonies and jail time, depends on the DA, Judge, Lawyers to work that all out for him. Niners will wait to see if he's going to face jail time, or not, and than decide to pick up the option or not.
http://www.sacbee.com/2014/04/20/6339683/on-49ers-aldon-smith-should-get.html

Says Aldon should get tough love from Barrows.

I say it is still bad business and that we need to and will pick up the no risk owner preferred 5th year non guaranteed option. There is absolutely no good business reason not to. We don't show tough love by not getting the option and there is no mixed message. All we need to do is make it clear we made a business move on Aldon and that we haven't endorsed his behavior but that we simply want to maintain business leveraging on him moving forward. Really I wouldn't say anything at all because it speaks for itself. Too many folk speculate based on emotion and not with business rationale! Jed talked about doing the best thing for Aldon last season and now Barrows is as well but I say do the best thing for us and that is exercising the no risk owner preferred 5th year non guaranteed option!
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Apr 21, 2014 at 9:01 AM ]
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
http://www.sacbee.com/2014/04/20/6339683/on-49ers-aldon-smith-should-get.html

Says Aldon should get tough love from Barrows.

I say it is still bad business and that we need to and will pick up the no risk owner preferred 5th year non guaranteed option. There is absolutely no good business reason not to. We don't show tough love by not getting the option and there is no mixed message. All we need to do is make it clear we made a business move on Aldon and that we haven't endorsed his behavior but that we simply want to maintain business leveraging on him moving forward. Really I wouldn't say anything at all because it speaks for itself. Too many folk speculate based on emotion and not with business rationale! Jed talked about doing the best thing for Aldon last season and now Barrows is as well but I say do the best thing for us and that is exercising the no risk owner preferred 5th year non guaranteed option!

My big question is whether or not option comes via game checks or guaranteed money. If the option comes in the way of game checks, and Aldon is expected to miss games due to behavior issues, I'd pick up or threaten to pick up the option. If Aldon wants some guaranteed liquidity to move him through his suspension, you would negotiate a long term contract with minimized expenditure, and risk towards the end.

I'd try to push a moderate signing bonus which is cap friendly, and count on him missing games this season. Make the future years of his contract dependent on game-checks and roster bonuses. That way the 49ers can insulate the risk as much as possible while paying Aldon a fair sum. Both sides will be gambling to a degree (49ers up front and Aldon towards the end), but, if both sides for-fill their commitments, both sides win.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
http://www.sacbee.com/2014/04/20/6339683/on-49ers-aldon-smith-should-get.html

Says Aldon should get tough love from Barrows.

I say it is still bad business and that we need to and will pick up the no risk owner preferred 5th year non guaranteed option. There is absolutely no good business reason not to. We don't show tough love by not getting the option and there is no mixed message. All we need to do is make it clear we made a business move on Aldon and that we haven't endorsed his behavior but that we simply want to maintain business leveraging on him moving forward. Really I wouldn't say anything at all because it speaks for itself. Too many folk speculate based on emotion and not with business rationale! Jed talked about doing the best thing for Aldon last season and now Barrows is as well but I say do the best thing for us and that is exercising the no risk owner preferred 5th year non guaranteed option!

I usually like Barrows but that article was retarded. By not picking up Aldon's option, how is that giving him "tough love"? He'll just enter FA next year and get paid a fat check/deal, whether it's by us or one of the other 31 teams that could afford him - anyone that thinks otherwise is naive. IMO, Aldon still wins while this team will come out the loser in this, losing out on our young 24 y.o generational pass rusher and possibly Crabtree because you know he's going to test the market (pass first teams that offer him big bucks will sway him IMO).

You summed it up right - baaaaaaddd business.
For all of you who say the following: "We need to give Aldon another chance. We can't make the same mistake we made with Haley."

What are you going to say when Aldon seriously hurts or kills someone? And when you realize that you are partially responsible for that death because you were the one willing to turn the other cheek and welcome the problem child back with open arms?

How are you going to feel? Anything at all? Personally? I couldn't live with it. There is far more to life than football. Far more.

Aldon's actions will invariable lead to something bad happening to someone else -- or even Aldon. Maybe even an innocent victim.

You're willing to deal with that?
[ Edited by billbird2111 on Apr 21, 2014 at 11:48 AM ]
Originally posted by billbird2111:
For all of you who say the following: "We need to give Aldon another chance. We can't make the same mistake we made with Haley."

What are you going to say when Aldon seriously hurts or kills someone? And when you realize that you are partially responsible for that death because you were the one willing to turn the other cheek and welcome the problem child back with open arms?

How are you going to feel? Anything at all? Personally? I couldn't live with it. There is far more to life than football. Far more.

Aldon's actions will invariable lead to something bad happening to someone else -- or even Aldon. Maybe even an innocent victim.

You're willing to deal with that?

Sorry, Bill, but to date Aldon has neither "seriously hurt or killed" anyone. How about we stick with reality, deal with the actual facts presented, and not some hypothetical?

Aldon has an alcohol problem, and has attempted to address it through rehabilitation. That's not always an easy struggle, or one that is conquered with a single stint at a rehab facility. But at least we know he recognizes that its a problem. He's at least taken step one.

And he's not the only athlete who's ever struggled with an alcohol problem. There have been many before him, and are undoubtedly many still out there right now. Face it, there are lots of people out there with a similar issue. You going to condemn every single person who chooses to have a drink? They are all putting others at risk, to some degree.

I fail to see how the "tough love" that Beerows suggests is in the Niners' best interest. Exercise the option. IF Aldon then fails to complete his rehab, there are ways to address that when and if it occurs. Punish him for his actual failures, not the possibility of them.

If, on the other hand, he continues to address the problem, and succeeds in beating the problem, day by day, he will also continue to be a great pass rusher and it would be wise for the Niners to have him around. IMHO.
  • thl408
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 4,440
Originally posted by billbird2111:
For all of you who say the following: "We need to give Aldon another chance. We can't make the same mistake we made with Haley."

What are you going to say when Aldon seriously hurts or kills someone? And when you realize that you are partially responsible for that death because you were the one willing to turn the other cheek and welcome the problem child back with open arms?

How are you going to feel? Anything at all? Personally? I couldn't live with it. There is far more to life than football. Far more.

Aldon's actions will invariable lead to something bad happening to someone else -- or even Aldon. Maybe even an innocent victim.

You're willing to deal with that?

Haley and Aldon are different. Haley was a weirdo as he masturbated in front of team mates and pissed on their cars. Aldon is just a dumbass when he's away from the football field. I didn't like, but I get why Haley was traded away. Aldon is not a bad team mate, and it seems like he is well liked by the other 49ers as evidenced by his team mates voting him team MVP.

How does me wanting to keep Aldon on the team make me responsible for him killing someone? I want Aldon to remain a part of this team because I don't think this airport incident is severe at all. If he ends up killing someone, as you stated, it has nothing to do with me or anyone else that still wants him on the team. He is responsible for his own actions and since I am not the person assigned to following him around making sure he doesn't hurt people, why should I feel responsible for his actions?

Do you feel responsible that there is famine and disease in third world countries? Are you okay living with that, and what have you done about it? You are reaching big time and trying to spin this as some sort of guilt trip.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
For all of you who say the following: "We need to give Aldon another chance. We can't make the same mistake we made with Haley."

What are you going to say when Aldon seriously hurts or kills someone? And when you realize that you are partially responsible for that death because you were the one willing to turn the other cheek and welcome the problem child back with open arms?

How are you going to feel? Anything at all? Personally? I couldn't live with it. There is far more to life than football. Far more.

Aldon's actions will invariable lead to something bad happening to someone else -- or even Aldon. Maybe even an innocent victim.

You're willing to deal with that?

I don't think I'd go as far as you, but am sure happy that a tree stopped him car last year, and that no kid on a bicycle was pinned on it.

Even the most strident supporters should be closing in on this fact: The kid is an absolute mess, and he better get his act together soon, or he won't have a future in this league. The modern NFL is not going to put up with players who have felony charges brought up against them. A lot of things are pending right now, and players tend to somehow, magically, wiggle their way out of these circumstances.

Let me just say that Aldon is not welcome in my central Ohio neighborhood unless he gets his act together. Which community would want this guy living with them right now?
Originally posted by thl408:
Haley and Aldon are different. Haley was a weirdo as he masturbated in front of team mates and pissed on their cars. Aldon is just a dumbass when he's away from the football field. I didn't like, but I get why Haley was traded away. Aldon is not a bad team mate, and it seems like he is well liked by the other 49ers as evidenced by his team mates voting him team MVP.

How does me wanting to keep Aldon on the team make me responsible for him killing someone? I want Aldon to remain a part of this team because I don't think this airport incident is severe at all. If he ends up killing someone, as you stated, it has nothing to do with me or anyone else that still wants him on the team. He is responsible for his own actions and since I am not the person assigned to following him around making sure he doesn't hurt people, why should I feel responsible for his actions?

Do you feel responsible that there is famine and disease in third world countries? Are you okay living with that, and what have you done about it? You are reaching big time and trying to spin this as some sort of guilt trip.

Completely agree. There is a lot of unknowns about the way he was treated before he allegedly said the word bomb and the fact that he was allowed into secured area after making alleged statement makes it look like TSA had there thumbs up there butts.
Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN 10s LAPD's Criminal Conspiracy Unit takes over the investigation into 49ers LB Aldon Smith, police official says. http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/lapds-criminal-conspiracy-unit-takes-over-smith-investigation ;…
who was conspiring
Originally posted by valrod33:
Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN 10s LAPD's Criminal Conspiracy Unit takes over the investigation into 49ers LB Aldon Smith, police official says. http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/lapds-criminal-conspiracy-unit-takes-over-smith-investigation ;…

I knew it. Aldon is part of Al Qaeda.