The Aldon Smith thread

• buck
  • Veteran
Relax everyone.

The sky has fallen; to late to panic.

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
friction where between the major players? where is it?

Somewhere, someone, some website, some journalist, some fan or some team is just hoping for friction and a riff.

Like or not, the various situations just need to be played out, and we are not the ones doing the playing.

Oh well. No point in waiting. Panic now.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Harbaalke:
I would question it as a Baalke NOT a Harbaugh issue Aldon, AJ Jenkins, Culliver have been Baalke picks on the football field the players can play and are well coached

Here is the friction; the rift.

The problem is ____________!!!! (fill in the blank)

No journalists needed.
Has Aldon even been charged yet?
Originally posted by SportsFan:

Nope and he probably won't be charged. Its a stupid reason to arest someone anyway.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Nope and he probably won't be charged. Its a stupid reason to arest someone anyway.

So if he isn't charged what will happen? Will people still think the 49ers should cut him? Cause what has really changed since his DUI?

Tim K hinted at there are some incidents that have gone on that aren't public that is also driving the 49ers opinion.
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
Cops in my town are tripping over themselves to pull over anyone leaving the bar yet the Heroine, Methemphetamine and gang epedemics are at an all time high.

They have a quota to hit for traffic stops. They don't have any quota for the real stuff.

That's probably the same with the TSA. They probably get a raise for every arrest they make. So they are itching for any opportunity.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Cops in my town are tripping over themselves to pull over anyone leaving the bar yet the Heroine, Methemphetamine and gang epedemics are at an all time high.

They have a quota to hit for traffic stops. They don't have any quota for the real stuff.

That's probably the same with the TSA. They probably get a raise for every arrest they make. So they are itching for any opportunity.

Its all about money. Crackheads and gang bangers don't have much money.
I really don't understand the logic behind not picking up the option. It only makes sense to me if the 49ers are giving in to outside pressure from a PR standpoint, which I'm not cool with.

The option can be pulled at any time by cutting him before next league year. The money is only injury guaranteed. Given he could be facing suspension, it's unlikely he'll get a season-ending injury by virtue of playing fewer games.

The 49ers need to decide RIGHT NOW if they want him long-term. Because not picking up the option will either put him on the open market next year, or force us to use the franchise tag which could have been used on another player. The option is a valuable tool that we're flushing down the toilet if we don't pick it up.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Apr 18, 2014 at 4:53 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I really don't understand the logic behind not picking up the option. It only makes sense to me if the 49ers are giving in to outside pressure from a PR standpoint, which I'm not cool with.

The option can be pulled at any time by cutting him before next league year. The money is only injury guaranteed. Given he could be facing suspension, it's unlikely he'll get a season-ending injury by virtue of playing fewer games.

The 49ers need to decide RIGHT NOW if they want him long-term. Because not picking up the option will either put him on the open market next year, or force us to use the franchise tag which could have been used on another player. The option is a valuable tool that we're flushing down the toilet if we don't pick it up.

It's about IMAGE right now.

The incident is fresh in the minds of the soccer moms who are horrified by his act of terrorism. To placate those soccer moms, the 49ers PR is making the decisions right now. We would be utterly incompetent to not pick up his option, assuming winning is what we actually want to do.

We put up with Haley for years because we had a commitment to WINNING. That was our priority. Now, in the days of twitter, it seems like more of a popularity contest, rather than a contest for the Super Bowl. If the team doesn't pick up his option by May 3rd, then it is obvious we care more about the popularity contest, then we do winning.

When we were winning Super Bowls, we had a Raider "Just Win Baby" philosophy, even more than the Raiders did. We had all kinds of misfits, the most notable of course being the super psycho Haley, but we dealt with it because Eddie D just wanted to WIN. He could give a s**t about jokes at airports or brass knuckles, he just wanted to WIN.

I feel once the public relations nightmare dies down a bit, we will pick up his option by May 3rd.

Originally posted by SofaKing:

It's about IMAGE right now.

The incident is fresh in the minds of the soccer moms who are horrified by his act of terrorism. To placate those soccer moms, the 49ers PR is making the decisions right now. We would be utterly incompetent to not pick up his option, assuming winning is what we actually want to do.

We put up with Haley for years because we had a commitment to WINNING. That was our priority. Now, in the days of twitter, it seems like more of a popularity contest, rather than a contest for the Super Bowl. If the team doesn't pick up his option by May 3rd, then it is obvious we care more about the popularity contest, then we do winning.

When we were winning Super Bowls, we had a Raider "Just Win Baby" philosophy, even more than the Raiders did. We had all kinds of misfits, the most notable of course being the super psycho Haley, but we dealt with it because Eddie D just wanted to WIN. He could give a s**t about jokes at airports or brass knuckles, he just wanted to WIN.

I feel once the public relations nightmare dies down a bit, we will pick up his option by May 3rd.

Agree 100%. I hope common sense will prevail in the end, and we pick up the option.

Its all about money. Crackheads and gang bangers don't have much money.
Cops have declared war on the blue collar, oh yeah and on Aldon to.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Tim K hinted at there are some incidents that have gone on that aren't public that is also driving the 49ers opinion.

I saw that.

Wonder if it means anything?
  • buck
  • Veteran
The deadline for teams to decide on adding a firth year to first round contracts is May 3.

More or less two more weeks to go.

So if he isn't charged what will happen? Will people still think the 49ers should cut him? Cause what has really changed since his DUI?

Curious how Tim K would know this, he's not the beat writer or a member of the organization
Share 49ersWebzone