LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 292 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by BrianGO:
This whole Aldon Smith thing is the most laughable publicity stunt I have ever seen from the 49ers organization. Aldon gets a DUI, and suddenly this proves that he is addicted to alcohol? What???
Does this mean that Marshawn Lynch and countless other athletes who have gotten DUI's are all alcoholics too?

We throw him in a rehab clinic or something, as a knee jerk reaction because it makes us look like we "care" as an organization. Awe, how sweet.
The NFL is going to suspend him on top of this. The result of all this b******t is that he is going to miss half the season because of his awful crimes.

Let's list those "crimes" he has had as an NFL player:
- The crime of drinking and driving in a suburban gated community: Horrible crime. Obviously, his punishment should be 10X worse than any other NFL player has ever had for the same crime.

- Breaking up a fight and getting stabbed: What a travesty, to not allow the stabber to stab someone else? Don't stabbers have rights? I'm sure the thug was very upset that he wasn't allowed the freedom to do worse injury to someone else.

- Allowing strangers to come to his party without checking them for firearms: What are you thinking Aldon? Why would you allow people who look just like any other person, to come to your party? It's common knowledge that whenever you allow someone on your property, you check them for firearms; my mailman thinks I'm crazy, but you know what? Safety first.
Maybe next time, he should only invite people who look and act like Tim Tebow. Travesty that he allowed regular looking people into a party. He should have known that regular looking people sometimes carry guns.

- He allowed himself to get into a car, without knowing that the driver of that car would swerve to avoid a deer and crash the car: He should have known that deer do in fact exist and that the possibility of his friend swerving out of the way of one of them could have caused an accident. Shame on you Aldon, for allowing your friend to drive you somewhere.

But you know what? I see a pattern here. It's obvious. The guy is an alcoholic, and needs to be in rehab for the safety of himself and others.
Teams like the Seahawks don't care about their players and others, but we DO. We care. We want this alcoholic to stop reaching for a bottle every time he saves someone's life from a knife, or let's a sober friend drive him somewhere, or allows a stranger onto his property. Because these are all things that alcoholics do.

1. You don't know Smith's personal life. Dude might have been drinking himself to sleep every night.

Stop speculating.

2. Smith checked himself in voluntarily.

Stop making s**t up.
Originally posted by cciowa:
he would not be a in long term treatment facility if it were as simple as you attempt to portray it

We put him into a facility after a full 3 days of non-investigation, and then never actually declare that he is an alcoholic.

We declared Scot McCloughan an alcoholic. Why can't we do the same thing with Aldon? Why the secrecy? Wait. I can answer that...
Because we don't have a frig'in clue, and felt we had to do "something" that sounded good at the time in order to "resolve" the issue because we are so darn responsible. It is truly a joke.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by redrathman:
1. You don't know Smith's personal life. Dude might have been drinking himself to sleep every night.

Stop speculating.

Stop making s**t up.

• Wodwo
  • Veteran
We put him into a facility after a full 3 days of non-investigation, and then never actually declare that he is an alcoholic.

We declared Scot McCloughan an alcoholic. Why can't we do the same thing with Aldon? Why the secrecy? Wait. I can answer that...
Because we don't have a frig'in clue, and felt we had to do "something" that sounded good at the time in order to "resolve" the issue because we are so darn responsible. It is truly a joke.

Link?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
so now we are finding out this is some sort of a publicity stunt by the niners. i love people who have no clue what aldon is or was going through but they find it perfectly acceptable to jump up on their pulpit and scream its a stunt,, its only a dui. man those are some sad strange little people. he put himself into a rehab clinic and that is what we know. feel free to make up what you want to make up, feel free to call the whole thing b******t, feel free to call the whole thing area 51 part two and look out for the men in black.. if it makes you feel better knock yourself out.
Won't be back till bye week... Gives him time to get back into some type of game shape. He will come back and play sparingly against the Panthers then he will be turned loose against Brees in the dome.
Originally posted by cciowa:
so now we are finding out this is some sort of a publicity stunt by the niners. i love people who have no clue what aldon is or was going through but they find it perfectly acceptable to jump up on their pulpit and scream its a stunt,, its only a dui. man those are some sad strange little people. he put himself into a rehab clinic and that is what we know. feel free to make up what you want to make up, feel free to call the whole thing b******t, feel free to call the whole thing area 51 part two and look out for the men in black.. if it makes you feel better knock yourself out.

Its downright b******t fans would act this way. A bunch of fans sound like children who can't have there toy or a teenager who got his gaming system taken away.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

when the hell did we do this? or was it done as a result of a vote of the web zone,,, maybe there is secrecy because its no ones god damn bees wax what his issues are. you may be a fan but you are not entitled to know what is going on in my opinion. the only thing i care about is he gets the help he needs and he will have a good support system upon his release to make sure he stays clean and sober(if he is an alcoholic )
This whole Aldon Smith thing is the most laughable publicity stunt I have ever seen from the 49ers organization. Aldon gets a DUI, and suddenly this proves that he is addicted to alcohol? What???
Does this mean that Marshawn Lynch and countless other athletes who have gotten DUI's are all alcoholics too?

We throw him in a rehab clinic or something, as a knee jerk reaction because it makes us look like we "care" as an organization. Awe, how sweet.
The NFL is going to suspend him on top of this. The result of all this b******t is that he is going to miss half the season because of his awful crimes.

Let's list those "crimes" he has had as an NFL player:
- The crime of drinking and driving in a suburban gated community: Horrible crime. Obviously, his punishment should be 10X worse than any other NFL player has ever had for the same crime.

- Breaking up a fight and getting stabbed: What a travesty, to not allow the stabber to stab someone else? Don't stabbers have rights? I'm sure the thug was very upset that he wasn't allowed the freedom to do worse injury to someone else.

- Allowing strangers to come to his party without checking them for firearms: What are you thinking Aldon? Why would you allow people who look just like any other person, to come to your party? It's common knowledge that whenever you allow someone on your property, you check them for firearms; my mailman thinks I'm crazy, but you know what? Safety first.
Maybe next time, he should only invite people who look and act like Tim Tebow. Travesty that he allowed regular looking people into a party. He should have known that regular looking people sometimes carry guns.

- He allowed himself to get into a car, without knowing that the driver of that car would swerve to avoid a deer and crash the car: He should have known that deer do in fact exist and that the possibility of his friend swerving out of the way of one of them could have caused an accident. Shame on you Aldon, for allowing your friend to drive you somewhere.

But you know what? I see a pattern here. It's obvious. The guy is an alcoholic, and needs to be in rehab for the safety of himself and others.
Teams like the Seahawks don't care about their players and others, but we DO. We care. We want this alcoholic to stop reaching for a bottle every time he saves someone's life from a knife, or let's a sober friend drive him somewhere, or allows a stranger onto his property. Because these are all things that alcoholics do.

Smith wrecked his car. He could've killed someone or himself. s**ts not a joke. No matter how you choose to split it he needed some kind of intervention.

Stop speculating.

Stop making s**t up.

1) That is certainly possible.
However, it's interesting that nobody has said anything about him actually being an alcoholic, or having a drinking problem. Not a single word. Not any other player, not any media member, not any coach, not any former coach, not any family member. Nothing. No history of it. No evidence where he showed up late to practice or a meeting. Absolutely nothing. Who know's? Maybe those closest to him kept it such a tight secret, that he was still able to get drafted in the top ten, sign a multi-million dollar contract, work his ass off in "voluntary" practices, training camp, and then perform at a high level and set records for sacks, all while being totally wasted every night, and hung over every day. Yeah, that makes sense.

2) You mean like he showed up for the NFL's "voluntary" workouts? "Voluntary" is such an interesting word these days.

However, it's interesting that nobody has said anything about him actually being an alcoholic, or having a drinking problem. Not a single word. Not any other player, not any media member, not any coach, not any former coach, not any family member. Nothing. No history of it. No evidence where he showed up late to practice or a meeting. Absolutely nothing. Who know's? Maybe those closest to him kept it such a tight secret, that he was still able to get drafted in the top ten, sign a multi-million dollar contract, work his ass off in "voluntary" practices, training camp, and then perform at a high level and set records for sacks, all while being totally wasted every night, and hung over every day. Yeah, that makes sense.

2) You mean like he showed up for the NFL's "voluntary" workouts? "Voluntary" is such an interesting word these days.

Maybe that's because the people around him such as family members and team mates believe that ITS NONE OF OUR DAMN BUSINESS, and why get the media involved when maybe just maybe they thought he would originally be able to work through his problems on his own and didn't need the media spreading his dirty laundry all over tv, the radio and the internet for the world to see.

Stop speculating.

Stop making s**t up.

So did you think LT had a problem?
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Is this guy done yet? You can do out patient rehab you know. This punk is missing too many games. Time to play and time to grow up. Continue the out patient treatment once a week or whatever.

You've obviously never known someone with addiction problems before

Who ever said he has addiction problems?

Addicted to what? Driving cars and throwing parties while drinking?

Well when you have 2 DUI's and the second one is when you black out at 7 am on a Friday morning and crash your car into a tree, you obviously have a problem. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out, not to mention people from within the team that he has a "problem." If Aldon or people around him seriously thought it was just bad luck that he got caught drinking and driving twice, he wouldn't be in f**king rehab right now.

Announcing to the public straight up that someone is an alcoholic even before they seek treatment would've been an incredibly dumb thing to do. It's his issue, and he's going to rehab to get it fixed. That's all the public needs to know. The team doesn't need to "declare" that someone is an alcoholic for it to be so. However, you're either ignorant or blatantly ignoring the facts, but what happened to Aldon a couple weeks ago is an obvious sign of a drinking problem. It would be for anyone in his situation.

If you want to know more about alcohol addiction, I'm more than happy to share. It claimed my dad a few years ago and I know more about it than I'd like to. I honestly can't believe you think Aldon going to rehab is a RP stunt. I don't even know what to say to that.
[ Edited by OregonDuckNiner on Oct 8, 2013 at 7:45 PM ]
Originally posted by LoneWolf:

Maybe that's because the people around him such as family members and team mates believe that ITS NONE OF OUR DAMN BUSINESS, and why get the media involved when maybe just maybe they thought he would originally be able to work through his problems on his own and didn't need the media spreading his dirty laundry all over tv, the radio and the internet for the world to see.

This.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
So did you think LT had a problem?

How about Irvin as an example:
"In March 1996, Irvin was arrested on charges of cocaine possession at a hotel party celebrating his 30th birthday. After numerous court appearances amid a national media circus, which featured Irvin showing up to court in a full-length mink coat, he pled no contest to the charges and was sentenced to community service, ordered to pay a $10,000 fine, and put on 4-years probation. When tested for illicit drugs, he tested negative. But the NFL suspended Irvin for the first five games of the 1996 season.
In Irvin's 1996 absence, the Cowboys struggled out of the gate and never recovered. Upon his return from suspension, Irvin tallied 962 receiving yards in only 11 games."

The Cowboys never sent him to any rehab clinic. In fact, has this EVER happened before? Where a star player is sent to a rehab clinic by their own team in the middle of the season?

Lawrence Taylor was arrested several times for drug possession, and tested positive many times for drugs. The NFL suspended him several times. However, his team never sent him to a rehab facility that I am aware of. They let him PLAY, they never tried to be his parent or guardian.
Share 49ersWebzone