There are 131 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

We all want him back but rehab is not punishment. Teams could play this card to circumvent NFL authority in suspensions. It sucks but breaking the law is dumb, he knows this. Better this than a year suspension for killing somebody in a DUI.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by IMnotsoHO:
Originally posted by niners94:
Originally posted by sfout:
Knowing Goodell, he'll probably suspend Aldon for four games as soon as he returns.

The 9ers are expecting it. Beat writers have all said that the NFL is likely to suspend him 2-4 games when he returns.

That's stupid. He's already missing games. It should count for something that he's getting help.
Agreed. It would be ridiculous to suspend him on top of the time he missed. Like our court system, he should get credit for time served. The suspension handed out by the league should just be a formality. If not, I'm going to be beyond pissed. I don't see how someone could see it any other way.

BTW, if the league hasn't suspended him already, what are they waiting for?

For the same reason that Lynch from Seattle has not be suspended--the legal process has to run its course.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
We all want him back but rehab is not punishment. Teams could play this card to circumvent NFL authority in suspensions. It sucks but breaking the law is dumb, he knows this. Better this than a year suspension for killing somebody in a DUI.

I guess you are right, but it might depend on how long Aldon is in rehab.

If he is in rehab for more than four weeks, the NFL might be willing to see the games missed dealing with problem as time served.

I do not know if they will or if they should; the operative word is might.
His would it circumvent a suspension? He is not on the field. Only difference is the pay issue. Which could be satisfied with a fine. It really depends on what the CBA says. Only waythe NFL suspends Aldon when he is out of rehab is when the court is done with him. I don't see the court doing anything while he is in rehab.
Agreed. It would be ridiculous to suspend him on top of the time he missed. Like our court system, he should get credit for time served. The suspension handed out by the league should just be a formality. If not, I'm going to be beyond pissed. I don't see how someone could see it any other way.

BTW, if the league hasn't suspended him already, what are they waiting for?

Agreed. Also, saying games missed in rehab "don't count" is setting a bad precedence. It would discourage other players from seeking help. Just hit him with a fat fine, days missed are time seved, and be done with it.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
what the heck is aldon doing? is it going to take him 10 weeks to get his sh*t together? guess what, i like to party, drink, do whatever, but i take care of business first. that is basic. if you're not a kid, you take of business--especially if you're working in a position of great responsibility, surrounded by coworkers who are dependent on you holding your part of the load.
i'm not in agreement with this help-this-guy-with-his-disability approach. he needs to get slapped silly and told to quit the stupid sh*t and act professional. he doesn't have a disease; he's a dumb ass who needs to grow up. the pain and hardship of punishment are what will change this guy--not some posh rehab where they psychobabble you into thinking you can function in the real world without taking responsibility and following through with correct decisions you make. everybody that depends on him, and everybody he answers to needs to tell him over and over to stop being a dumbass and grow up. act like eric reid.

men in his cultural sub-group often avoid confronting bad behavior amongst one another, but here's an opportunity to grow and improve.
Good luck Aldon! Take your time to get the help you need and get healthy! We miss you, but we will be ready when you come back to dominating like you were before!
Is this guy done yet? You can do out patient rehab you know. This punk is missing too many games. Time to play and time to grow up. Continue the out patient treatment once a week or whatever.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Is this guy done yet? You can do out patient rehab you know. This punk is missing too many games. Time to play and time to grow up. Continue the out patient treatment once a week or whatever.
i think they are very very serious on this. that means 30-60 days in my opinion, very structured.. you do not let someone go unless you think they are ready to face the outside world,, and then you keep them on a short leash. however long it takes is more than fine with me

You've obviously never known someone with addiction problems before

Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:

Who ever said he has addiction problems?

Addicted to what? Driving cars and throwing parties while drinking?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:

he would not be a in long term treatment facility if it were as simple as you attempt to portray it
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Quick, everybody pick which end of the opposing extremes you want use when judging a person you don't know! Better choose fast or the 'zone will choose for you!

F**king A Smith!

• xcfan
  • Veteran

you're right. this is bs. he's not a drug addict. he's a boy-man with not too much wisdom guiding him.
This whole Aldon Smith thing is the most laughable publicity stunt I have ever seen from the 49ers organization. Aldon gets a DUI, and suddenly this proves that he is addicted to alcohol? What???
Does this mean that Marshawn Lynch and countless other athletes who have gotten DUI's are all alcoholics too?

We throw him in a rehab clinic or something, as a knee jerk reaction because it makes us look like we "care" as an organization. Awe, how sweet.
The NFL is going to suspend him on top of this. The result of all this b******t is that he is going to miss half the season because of his awful crimes.

Let's list those "crimes" he has had as an NFL player:
- The crime of drinking and driving in a suburban gated community: Horrible crime. Obviously, his punishment should be 10X worse than any other NFL player has ever had for the same crime.

- Breaking up a fight and getting stabbed: What a travesty, to not allow the stabber to stab someone else? Don't stabbers have rights? I'm sure the thug was very upset that he wasn't allowed the freedom to do worse injury to someone else.

- Allowing strangers to come to his party without checking them for firearms: What are you thinking Aldon? Why would you allow people who look just like any other person, to come to your party? It's common knowledge that whenever you allow someone on your property, you check them for firearms; my mailman thinks I'm crazy, but you know what? Safety first.
Maybe next time, he should only invite people who look and act like Tim Tebow. Travesty that he allowed regular looking people into a party. He should have known that regular looking people sometimes carry guns.

- He allowed himself to get into a car, without knowing that the driver of that car would swerve to avoid a deer and crash the car: He should have known that deer do in fact exist and that the possibility of his friend swerving out of the way of one of them could have caused an accident. Shame on you Aldon, for allowing your friend to drive you somewhere.

But you know what? I see a pattern here. It's obvious. The guy is an alcoholic, and needs to be in rehab for the safety of himself and others.
Teams like the Seahawks don't care about their players and others, but we DO. We care. We want this alcoholic to stop reaching for a bottle every time he saves someone's life from a knife, or let's a sober friend drive him somewhere, or allows a stranger onto his property. Because these are all things that alcoholics do.
Share 49ersWebzone