There are 141 users in the forums

Better Rivals: Do QB Wins matter?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by kingairta:
What I'm getting at the only people who care about stats are fans and self centered individuals. Ask Trent Dilfer if he would trade his super bowl ring for a 5,000 yard season.

Football is the ultimate team sport. I always thought the QB always gets too much credit for a win and too much blame for a loss. Sure He pulls the trigger but 10 other guys have to do their job to make it work.

Trent Dilfer may not trade away the Super Bowl but Baltimore traded away Trent Dilfer for a 4,000 yard qb in Elvis Grbac.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
I like the concept of this... only got about 5 minutes through it, to be honest. Once I heard the words Alex Smith and fragile psyche used, I'd heard enough.

Oh well... what could have been...

I have to agree, V.D said, I think last year in several interviews, that Smith is so mentaly tough after all the things that has happened through his time in the NFL.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Trent Dilfer may not trade away the Super Bowl but Baltimore traded away Trent Dilfer for a 4,000 yard qb in Elvis Grbac.

And Fran Tarkenton knew what his stats were during the course of a game. No superbowls for Frank tho....

Where did that get them? Not another ring that's for sure.

He did real well there too 3,000 yards 56% comp 15 TDs 18 TOs. Lol and only one season out of him.
Stats matter, but the most important stat will always be winning. Joe Montana will always win the argument for best QB of all time because he won... a lot.

He did real well there too 3,000 yards 56% comp 15 TDs 18 TOs. Lol and only one season out of him.

this lol this
Originally posted by blm7754:
I do not think that wins matter all that much when evaluating a QB. But neither does yardage.

The most important stats IMO for QB comparison are:

1. completion percentage

2. turnovers per attempt

3. come from behind wins (usually relies on passing game and QB under pressure)

4. average yards per completion

Very good....this
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by kratzer14:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
I like the concept of this... only got about 5 minutes through it, to be honest. Once I heard the words Alex Smith and fragile psyche used, I'd heard enough.

Oh well... what could have been...

I have to agree, V.D said, I think last year in several interviews, that Smith is so mentaly tough after all the things that has happened through his time in the NFL.

Coaches damaged Smith and his confidence before. Harbaugh has spent a lot of time giving lip service to Smith. Why would he bring this up now in really an un-promted fashion if he didn't feel his QB1 needed it?
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Stats matter, but the most important stat will always be winning. Joe Montana will always win the argument for best QB of all time because he won... a lot.

Nope. Winning is irrelevant when judging a QB. A QB is 1 of a starting 22. He can help or hurt, but judging a QB by wins is folly at best. By that stat Tim Tebow is on his way to being a HOFer.

Defense fell off for a couple of years though.

They got hit hard by free agency and we are talking about Elvis Grbac too. Wasn't even Balt's first choice. That was Brad Johnson who actually did help take a defensive team to a Super Bowl in Tampa Bay.

BTW What did Dilfer do after that?
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jun 2, 2012 at 8:08 PM ]

Defense fell off for a couple of years though.

They got hit hard by free agency and we are talking about Elvis Grbac too. Wasn't even Balt's first choice. That was Brad Johnson who actually did help take a defensive team to a Super Bowl in Tampa Bay.

BTW What did Dilfer do after that?

You brought up Grbac who had two good years statistically wise as evidence that it matters and I showed you just because he had good stats coming in didn't equate to a hill of beans.

Ask Dan Marino if he'd trade his stats for a ring or two.
^^

No, I brought up the fact that the Baltimore organization thought so much of Dilfer's play that they got rid of them immediately after winning the Super Bowl.

Whether that was the right move or not in hindsight is debateable. Baltimore's D took severe hits in the offseason, and they only had to be the 2nd best defense of all time to actually win the Super Bowl. Not a tough task at all to repeat.

You'd have to ask Dan that himself but I'm guessing he'd rather be Dan Marino then Trent Dilfer. Just like Karl Malone would rather be Karl Malone then Derek Fisher.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jun 2, 2012 at 8:23 PM ]
Harbaugh's guilty conscience needed to reaffirm his loyalty to Smith as a starter for evaluating another women in Manning. Unprompted. It's not for Smith that he's doing this.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Harbaugh's guilty conscience needed to reaffirm his loyalty to Smith as a starter for evaluating another women in Manning. Unprompted. It's not for Smith that he's doing this.

Please tell us more Ms. Cleo.
Originally posted by Bootlegger:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Please tell us more Ms. Cleo.

Umm... I'm not prognosticating. I'm psychoanalyzing.
Share 49ersWebzone