There are 54 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Better Rivals: Do QB Wins matter?

  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 10,234
Here's our next installment of the podcast, where we talk about if Alex Smith has a point on his whole QB stats argument. We'd love to hear your thoughts on the debate topic: Do QB wins matter when evaluating a QB? Give us a listen and let us know!

http://www.49erswebzone.com/podcasts/
loved the song choice for the beginning of the podcast Oscar
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 10,234
Originally posted by defenderDX:
loved the song choice for the beginning of the podcast Oscar

Not gonna lie - I totally stole the idea from a radio show I listen to here. Nevertheless, when I heard the first cut I got goosebumps.

If anyone has the Starkey call from '98 and can send it my way I'd love to splice some other stuff together.
Originally posted by Oscar:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
loved the song choice for the beginning of the podcast Oscar

Not gonna lie - I totally stole the idea from a radio show I listen to here. Nevertheless, when I heard the first cut I got goosebumps.

If anyone has the Starkey call from '98 and can send it my way I'd love to splice some other stuff together.

yeah regardless that s**t sounded dope lol
What song is that?
Do QBs play the game to throw 400 yards a game or do they play to win?
I do not think that wins matter all that much when evaluating a QB. But neither does yardage.

The most important stats IMO for QB comparison are:

1. completion percentage

2. turnovers per attempt

3. come from behind wins (usually relies on passing game and QB under pressure)

4. average yards per completion
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 15,148
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
What song is that?


  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 10,234
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
What song is that?

Paradise by Coldplay.
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 10,234
Originally posted by kingairta:
Do QBs play the game to throw 400 yards a game or do they play to win?

That's a flawed argument. This presumes that the QB is the only player who "plays" for either of these things. A HOF QB behind a crap O-line, with a head coach who has his head in the ground and a defense that can't stop the "annexation of Puerto Rico" nullifies any kind of "play to win" argument you're trying to make.
I like the concept of this... only got about 5 minutes through it, to be honest. Once I heard the words Alex Smith and fragile psyche used, I'd heard enough.

Oh well... what could have been...
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 10,234
Originally posted by oldman9er:
I like the concept of this... only got about 5 minutes through it, to be honest. Once I heard the words Alex Smith and fragile psyche used, I'd heard enough.

Oh well... what could have been...

lol. Any Alex Smith topic is going to be charged. Skip ahead a little and check out the QB wins discussion. It touches on what Alex brought up, but doesn't talk about Alex specifically.

And you know you love Harbaugh's reality distortion field.
Wins must be the end results. To contribute to those wins:

Low INTs
Red Zone TDs
3rd down conversions-- usually 3rd and long, passing down situation.

I can't think anything else more important then these 3 -- though I might be missing something.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Wins must be the end results. To contribute to those wins:

Low INTs
Red Zone TDs
3rd down conversions-- usually 3rd and long, passing down situation.

I can't think anything else more important then these 3 -- though I might be missing something.

completion %
Total TD's
Originally posted by Oscar:
That's a flawed argument. This presumes that the QB is the only player who "plays" for either of these things. A HOF QB behind a crap O-line, with a head coach who has his head in the ground and a defense that can't stop the "annexation of Puerto Rico" nullifies any kind of "play to win" argument you're trying to make.



What I'm getting at the only people who care about stats are fans and self centered individuals. Ask Trent Dilfer if he would trade his super bowl ring for a 5,000 yard season.

Football is the ultimate team sport. I always thought the QB always gets too much credit for a win and too much blame for a loss. Sure He pulls the trigger but 10 other guys have to do their job to make it work.
[ Edited by kingairta on Jun 2, 2012 at 3:52 PM ]