LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 305 users in the forums

CJ Spillman vs Goldson

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by Evilgenius:
most 9er fans around here sure love to undervalue Dashon Goldson's importance to this team.....as if he is easily replaceable.

yes he was one of our MVPs last year.....in fact you can easily point to how our defense played when he wasn't one the field, compared to how they played when he was on the field.

Not saying Goldson is a better "player" than Justin Smith....or he is more important...but i will say that losing Goldson for a few games would impact our defense more, than losing Smith for a few games.

also just because a guy is shorter than someone, yet weighs similar..doesn't mean he would be automatically stronger. Dashon looks/plays much bigger than his 200lbs listing. Where as Spilllman looks skinnier on the field.

Justin Smith is the best defensive player in the league. Goldson isn't in the conversation. Spillman is a nice backup and probably would do a fine job if Goldson were to get hurt, especially with our front 7 - led by Justin Smith the unstoppable force.

Afrikan is on a roll the last few days.

so you purposely put in that "last few days" part...while knowing that post was from May 17, 2012. you can act like you didn't, but the fact that this thread is 6 pages...and that quote was from the first couple of pages...yeah...lol.

expected b***h move, yes that's right b***h move, by folks who usually disagree with me... I've this from Alex fanboyz for years, who incite...then only quote the response....and then cry for help...lol. I expect for you to do the same....go ahead and click that button..lol.

Why dont you just admit that you were wrong? Goldson was, at best, the fifth or sixth best player on our defense the past two years.

You keep posting about how the defense will be worse without Goldson. Did he make one play in the playoffs that made you say: 'we cannot win a super bowl without Dashon Goldson'. When our pass rushers started dropping, did Goldson step up his game and take over? No, he just kept putting his head down and going for the big hits.

I can understand why you might have supported Goldson last year, but after watching him get exposed when the Smiths got injured, I dont see how you could continue to take the stand that he is anywhere close to our defenses best player.

Also, while we are on this topic. You said somewhere else that you would rather have an all pro safety and an all pro ILB rather than two all pro ILBs. The difference between Goldson and Bowman is that Bowman could be an all pro on any team in the league. Regardless of scheme, surrounding talent, etc. We saw in the playoffs what Goldson's style of play translates to without a pass rush.

Also, Bowman took a reduced salary to sign a long term contract with us. If talent alone didnt justify his staying and Goldson leaving, the dedication he has to this team and this franchise definitely justifies it. In this day and age where mercenaries run to the highest bidder and players like Goldson turn the 49ers pass rush into a $40M contract, we should be celebrating players like Bowman who truly put the franchise first.
nannite, why are you quoting that response to WINiner, with your own asking me to admit to something else? What does your post have to do with that particular post of mine?

if you want to talk about Goldson, lets go to the Goldson thread in the NFL section.
nannite, why are you quoting that response to WINiner, with your own asking me to admit to something else? What does your post have to do with that particular post of mine?

if you want to talk about Goldson, lets go to the Goldson thread in the NFL section.

because you made it sound like hes taking what you said last year and quoting it out of context. but you are saying the exact same thing now as you did then.
[ Edited by nannite on Mar 17, 2013 at 11:35 AM ]
Originally posted by nannite:

because you made it sound like hes taking what you said last year and quoting it out of context. but you are saying the exact same thing now as you did then.

"Afrikan is on a roll the last few days." while quoting something from last year? I mean really, do I have to explain it any further? If you don't see the intent in that, then well I don't know what further to say.

If he was going to quote something from last year.....he could've just said, "Hey AF look what you posted last year... what do you think now?" Nothing wrong with that approach no?
so you purposely put in that "last few days" part...while knowing that post was from May 17, 2012. you can act like you didn't, but the fact that this thread is 6 pages...and that quote was from the first couple of pages...yeah...lol.

expected b***h move, yes that's right b***h move, by folks who usually disagree with me... I've this from Alex fanboyz for years, who incite...then only quote the response....and then cry for help...lol. I expect for you to do the same....go ahead and click that button..lol.

Tell me how you really feel.
Originally posted by dhp318:

Yo soy butthurt perdimos Goldson, y que lo reemplazó con Dahl
Originally posted by nannite:

"Afrikan is on a roll the last few days." while quoting something from last year? I mean really, do I have to explain it any further? If you don't see the intent in that, then well I don't know what further to say.

If he was going to quote something from last year.....he could've just said, "Hey AF look what you posted last year... what do you think now?" Nothing wrong with that approach no?

I read the first full page before I realized it was from last year. "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by ignorance." Its not like your arguments have changed
Just stop guys. Pointless argument.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers SS Dashon Goldson is scheduled to receive $25.5 million in guaranteed money in the first three years of his five-year contract.
Originally posted by dhp318:

Yo soy butthurt perdimos Goldson, y que lo reemplaz� con Dahl

Llorron

OMG, holla at yo boy Dashon ... Gettin paid!!!

"Benjamin... Franklin....dem ain't none of them yo friends!!"

Originally posted by THEMerts80:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
scrubs? Goldson was the MVP of our defense last year bro, did you watch any games lol

He was referring to Spillmans 3 year contract, not Goldson

okay but i was refering to how we wont give him a 1 year deal, b/c if we would have signed him again, it would of been for 3-4 years
Just a note... I like Goldston and appreciate that he is articulate and well spoken... The ghetto turn of this thread just reminds me of the the tosh video... Please webzone... Say NO to ghettoness and keep it classy. Oh and no "B!tch Moves" please
Originally posted by red42x:
Tampa Bay Buccaneers SS Dashon Goldson is scheduled to receive $25.5 million in guaranteed money in the first three years of his five-year contract.

So he is going to see that 8+mill a year no matter for those first 3 years. When you are the best in world at your job position, you will get paid accordingly.

Weddle got $19 mill upfront.
It was risky for Goldson, but he finally got Dat Weddle $$$$ and some....and rightfully so.
Here is what NONE of us know in the Goldson vs Spillman/Robinson question - we all judge athletes largely by their perceived athleticism, but there is so much more too it that only the coaches know from practice, diagnosing the play calls of games, and the classroom time.

1. COVERAGE CALL OUTS: Goldson had the experience to call out coverages 5 years at the position,right? Were the coaches happy with it? Enough to keep him the starter, yes. Have Spillman or Robinson gained the trust of the coaches? Or could Whitner take over that duty?

2. SPEED - IF Spillman's faster 40 translates into him playing fast, which it seems it does on special teams, does he diagnose plays quick enough and accurately enough to translate the speed into getting to the ball. On punts and kicks, the defender knows where the ball is going. Goldson seemed pretty good at arriving where the ball was going. Make-up speed and over the top speed have more to do with diagnosing (per above) and smoothness of transition (change of direction). If a player is awkward or stiff in transition, it really hinders their game speed. Football is rarely a straightline game - but special teams coverage is more straight line than pass coverage. Goldson was fluid. We'll have to see if Spillman or Robinson can be a fluid in transitions so their speed can be realized.

3. SIZE - Although they weigh the same, and are only 2 inches different in height, Goldson appears to have a really large wingspan. And some guys are just more solid even at the same weight as others. Goldson seems that type - very solid for his weight. I'll give you an example, LOL. My wife has a pitbull - 76 pounds. I have a husky, 82 pounds. Lifting them in the car -- I would swear that darn pitbull weighs more - it is just so damn solid if feels like it weights a ton. The husky is faster :)

4. BALL SKILLS -- Goldson's wingspan did not seem to translate into INTs - he was good at "center field" INTs -- not necessarily "highest point" or cuttng off the throw INTs with his long arms. So if Spillman/Robinson are better at getting to the ball at it's highest point, or slashing in front of the throw, they may in fact be better. But maybe the coaches see in practice that they are horrible at judging the ball - we just don't know.

5. TACKLING - Goldson was good at laying a womp on people - sometimes for a penalty. I'll take the occassional penalty to intimidate receivers in the middle. The biggest thing is the fearlessness and toughness to lay the hit, and then be a sure enough tackler to bring the guy down. Spillman appears to be a sure tackler, and you have to be pretty fearless to run down on coverage units - blockers can really level you sometimes. But again, only the coaches know if Spillman or Robinson can be the "force" on the back end.

All of these things really argue against a rookie starting, unless they are just exceptional in their football IQ. Dahl - experience and high football IQ? Sounds like a good addition while trying to sort through and develop starters. I say smart move. (Plus, you get some great insight into that darn Rams D that stymied us twice last year - that's worth $1MM right there :)
Share 49ersWebzone