LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 227 users in the forums

CJ Spillman vs Goldson

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Good post.

Agree Baale/JH don't give longer than 1 year contracts to scrubs.

My gut feeling is Goldson gets anoter 1 year tender and is gone next season.

If Spillmn gows down - who is next?

scrubs? Goldson was the MVP of our defense last year bro, did you watch any games lol

if you mean valuable relative to the depth at DB vs. the depth at LB or DL then maybe......

but MVP. no way.
scrubs? Goldson was the MVP of our defense last year bro, did you watch any games lol

Allow me to translate -

Justin Smith was the MVP of our defense last year.

My typing isnt the best but if I'm correct, that is what he meant to say
[ Edited by d49izme on May 17, 2012 at 3:06 PM ]
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
if you mean valuable relative to the depth at DB vs. the depth at LB or DL then maybe......

but MVP. no way.

This. No way Goldson was our MVP. He made some spectacular plays to be sure but he also gets burned his fair share of times. Overall he was not early as consistent a player as Justin Smith, P Willy, Navorro Bowman and possibly even Brooks or Ray Mac.

Luckily for Goldson being the 5th or 6th best player on our Defense is nothing to be ashamed of.
It's amazing how Goldson plays so much faster than his 4.67 40 time would indicate, glad he's back for the 2012 season but hopefully he has learned to keep his head up a bit. Those two int breakups against NY in the championship game really pissed me off.
[ Edited by GMniner805 on May 17, 2012 at 3:34 PM ]
My boy CJ Spillman gave me his game gloves and autograph after the rams game week 17. So I'm biased towards him.... Oh wait Goldson also autographed my jersey hehe!!! BOTH R GREAT GUYS AND DESERVING.
Originally posted by THEMerts80:
Barrows wrote an article recently that read,

"C.J. Spillman is filling in at free safety when the first-team defense takes the field. The 49ers signed Spillman to a three-year extension this offseason. Spillman may be the most physically gifted of all of the team's safeties -- he's certainly one of the more aggressive -- but he lacks experience."

I then did some research on the physical differences of Goldson and Spillman

Goldson:

Age 27 6'2" 200lbs, 40 yard dash at the Combine 4.67

Spillman:

Age 26 6'0" 199lbs, 40 yard dash at the Combine 4.45

Seems that Spillman is faster and stronger considering that he weighs the same as Goldson yet is 2 inches shorter. Though he has special teams value, he also has the physical intangables to beat out Goldson yet lacks the experience. This front office does not give contracts away to scrubs and with this coaching staff being able to coach up talent I could see Goldson departing and being replaced after this year if he continues to be greedy and not take fair value contracts (last years decline on the 5 year 25 million dollar offer). Discuss.

Also found a YouTube video of him getting a freebe pic of Nate Davis a few years ago:

most 9er fans around here sure love to undervalue Dashon Goldson's importance to this team.....as if he is easily replaceable.

yes he was one of our MVPs last year.....in fact you can easily point to how our defense played when he wasn't one the field, compared to how they played when he was on the field.

Not saying Goldson is a better "player" than Justin Smith....or he is more important...but i will say that losing Goldson for a few games would impact our defense more, than losing Smith for a few games.

also just because a guy is shorter than someone, yet weighs similar..doesn't mean he would be automatically stronger. Dashon looks/plays much bigger than his 200lbs listing. Where as Spilllman looks skinnier on the field.
[ Edited by Afrikan on May 17, 2012 at 4:58 PM ]
I like Goldson alot; it would be gravy if Spillman could come in and play similar to him. I like Goldson though and feel we should pay the man. He is an integral part of our defense, and makes huge plays every year. Love the hits/picks he makes. He definitely helps our defense with their hard hitting identity. Be a shame to see him walk...
uh, no.
It has always interested me that Spillman was used in goal line defense. That is one of the toughest jobs for a safety reading run - pass quickly and reacting. Then remember the behind the line tackle he made in Baltimore on the goal line - that was some amazing athleticism.

The key though is - does he have the ball skills. Goldson has great ball skills - anticipation, vertical leap, long arms, and good hands. Spillman its definitely fast, smart, and fearlessly physical -- but can he break up passes and intercept balls?? That we haven't seen yet -- hope this coaching staff see it and can develop it in him.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
most 9er fans around here sure love to undervalue Dashon Goldson's importance to this team.....as if he is easily replaceable.

yes he was one of our MVPs last year.....in fact you can easily point to how our defense played when he wasn't one the field, compared to how they played when he was on the field.

Not saying Goldson is a better "player" than Justin Smith....or he is more important...but i will say that losing Goldson for a few games would impact our defense more, than losing Smith for a few games.

also just because a guy is shorter than someone, yet weighs similar..doesn't mean he would be automatically stronger. Dashon looks/plays much bigger than his 200lbs listing. Where as Spilllman looks skinnier on the field.

Totally agree with everything you said. But just to note and not nock on Goldson the 49ers played a lot of Nickel last year. Only sending 4 pass rushers leaving smaller areas to cover for all the DBs and Linebackers. Even when teams lack DB talent, a good pass rush can lead to a lot of interceptions. Not that Goldson got all his picks off the pass rush but I am just saying that it might not be that big of a fall off of production from the safety position if Spillman gets an opportunity if Goldson gets hurt or walks next year.

Is there a reason why THe HAwk doesnt deserve the contract he wants tho?
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by THEMerts80:
Barrows wrote an article recently that read,

"C.J. Spillman is filling in at free safety when the first-team defense takes the field. The 49ers signed Spillman to a three-year extension this offseason. Spillman may be the most physically gifted of all of the team's safeties -- he's certainly one of the more aggressive -- but he lacks experience."

I then did some research on the physical differences of Goldson and Spillman

Goldson:

Age 27 6'2" 200lbs, 40 yard dash at the Combine 4.67

Spillman:

Age 26 6'0" 199lbs, 40 yard dash at the Combine 4.45

Seems that Spillman is faster and stronger considering that he weighs the same as Goldson yet is 2 inches shorter. Though he has special teams value, he also has the physical intangables to beat out Goldson yet lacks the experience. This front office does not give contracts away to scrubs and with this coaching staff being able to coach up talent I could see Goldson departing and being replaced after this year if he continues to be greedy and not take fair value contracts (last years decline on the 5 year 25 million dollar offer). Discuss.

Also found a YouTube video of him getting a freebe pic of Nate Davis a few years ago:

Just an FYI, you can't have "Physical Intangibles".
Something that is "Intangible" is something that cannot be measured
Originally posted by Afrikan:

Sorry brother, but I don't see it. When Justin Smith went down this year I thought the defense was pretty average. We are known, after all, for being a dominate run defense with the best front 7 in the NFL.

This isn't to say Goldson is a poor player, I think he's one of The top 5 FSs In the league...I just think Justin Smith is a top 10 overall player and this past season was one of the most consistent and disruptive seasons I've ever seen from a DLinemen. IMO he is the glue that holds this team together as crazy as that sounds. Hell, since day 1 he was hailed as being a blue collar guy who gets down to business and let's His work speak for him.

Anyways, I appreciate your observation and can't help but smile when I think that you can make a solid case for so many our players to be MVP. What a good problem to have!
[ Edited by kush on May 17, 2012 at 7:57 PM ]
Originally posted by Garcia:
Just an FYI, you can't have "Physical Intangibles".
Something that is "Intangible" is something that cannot be measured

Thanks for the english lesson... meant to say tangibles.
Originally posted by d49izme:

Allow me to translate -

Justin Smith was the MVP of our defense last year.

My typing isnt the best but if I'm correct, that is what he meant to say

Justin Smith no doubt
Share 49ersWebzone