There are 139 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Randy Moss

Ryan: Randy Moss still outpacing Father Time

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/09/07/ryan-randy-moss-still-outpacing-father-time/

The stamina is the question. He can still go. He can still run routes. He can still get in and out of his breaks. He's more than a vertical, sideline-to-number, deep-ball guy. He's much more than that. I think the Patriots were great for him. He's a very smart football guy. And I've said as an analyst, and I didn't realize it when I was in the NFL, 80 % of the NFL is from the neck up. It's a mental game. It's a reading-coverage-post-snap game. It's not just going out and whipping the guy in front of you. It's about understanding how to diagnose coverage when you're on the second step of your route. And in the NFL a lot of it changes and you've got to be on the same page as your QB. Alex does a lot of stuff at the line of scrimmage in terms of dialing up plays, killing plays, changing plays, getting out of the bad play. And Randy is a freaking' professor at that. He can teach it, which he's been doing all summer. That's the beauty of Randy Moss. Now, ball distribution, can we expect 75 catches and 10 to 12 TDs? I don't think so. I think Alex is going to where the coverage dictates. And Randy – pure speculation – 50 catches and six touchdowns would be a great year for him, in terms of where he would fit along with the rest of the 49ers' offensive weapons. I don't think we're going to see Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald type stuff. That's just not there any more in terms of going play after play after play after play. But I expect a big impact. I really do.
Pretty simple. Moss replaced the role of Ginn and Braylon (what supposed to be) last year. And that's about where it starts. If he does more than that it's gravy.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 9, 2012 at 7:37 AM ]
  • kush
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,718
The freak is back
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,921
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Pretty simple. Moss replaced the role of Ginn and Braylon (what supposed to be) last year. And that's about where it starts. If he does more than that it's gravy.

we have already got more out of moss in regards to being a good teacher, mentor and team mate then we ever got with edwards. hell after a while JH did not even discuss edwards and you know that is a bad sign for you if you are a player on this team
Moss' responses seem to be very cliched/scripted. He's trying hard to not rock the boat..however, it does appear that his teammates genuinely like him, which is a good sign. I do think he could be a great (short term) answer for us.
So why the f**k did Dave Damas**thead lump Randy Moss together with TO and Chad Ocho-retarded? Those two guys cut before the season even started and Randy actually has a starting role on a team.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/the-shame-report

Pathetic.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Ryan: Randy Moss still outpacing Father Time

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/09/07/ryan-randy-moss-still-outpacing-father-time/

The stamina is the question. He can still go. He can still run routes. He can still get in and out of his breaks. He's more than a vertical, sideline-to-number, deep-ball guy. He's much more than that. I think the Patriots were great for him. He's a very smart football guy. And I've said as an analyst, and I didn't realize it when I was in the NFL, 80 % of the NFL is from the neck up. It's a mental game. It's a reading-coverage-post-snap game. It's not just going out and whipping the guy in front of you. It's about understanding how to diagnose coverage when you're on the second step of your route. And in the NFL a lot of it changes and you've got to be on the same page as your QB. Alex does a lot of stuff at the line of scrimmage in terms of dialing up plays, killing plays, changing plays, getting out of the bad play. And Randy is a freaking' professor at that. He can teach it, which he's been doing all summer. That's the beauty of Randy Moss. Now, ball distribution, can we expect 75 catches and 10 to 12 TDs? I don't think so. I think Alex is going to where the coverage dictates. And Randy – pure speculation – 50 catches and six touchdowns would be a great year for him, in terms of where he would fit along with the rest of the 49ers' offensive weapons. I don't think we're going to see Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald type stuff. That's just not there any more in terms of going play after play after play after play. But I expect a big impact. I really do.

agree with this sentiment

he doesnt hhave the capability anymore to be a 1000 yard WR however he definitally is capable of making an impact just by taking defenders away as long as he has that speed. He does know how to read covergae and taught it well to our players which is great. I do expect ot see him on fade ruotes near the endzone though . I think 6-10 TD very likely
Week 1 TD. Like it!
Moss owns Green Bay.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by BayArea:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Randy don't care. He knows he's on a SB contender team and at this stage of his career, he will do anything to contribute positively to the team so he can be in the SB again and have a chance to win one. All he has to do is look at TO lately and realize this is his last and best chance to win a SB -- with the Niners. He's in too good of a situation to screw it up.

Yep. Just the vibe he gives of since coming to San Fran seems like a totally different attitude than he has had elsewhere.
One thing seems to have struck home with him... He is a father and a family man now, and he knows he is soon to be retired. When he sits down with his kids and tells them about his NFL past, along with his kids watching old highlights of him... he is gonna have to explain things like the "pantsing", or the press conferences where he comes off as abrasive, and all the negativity that came to surface when he played on 3 different teams in one year. He doesnt want to be remembered like that, and he wants to leave on his terms. IMO being with this team gives him the role model or wiley old vet role he is wanting at this stage in his career.

Yeah I get the same kind of projections as you about him.
I honestly do not have the same view as many on here do regarding Moss. He has never really cared about what others have though of him. He has always been a very likable guy and a great teammate. Does he get frustrated and show his emotions more than others? Of course. But he has always just wanted to win. I am sure if he wanted to moon Lambeau yesterday, he would have.

Anyways, great to see him on such a great team/organization. I was ecstatic when he went to the Pats, because he would have that shot. He has that again here. I wish it would have worked out differently when he went to the Vikings for the second time around, but oh well.
Eric Branch ‏@Eric_Branch Lions CB << MT @jkatzenstein_DN Chris Houston talked lil smack bout Moss 2day. Calld him "possession WR" doesnt think he can "take top off"
I was sure the ref was gonna throw a flag after the celebration.
Originally posted by Moss84:
I honestly do not have the same view as many on here do regarding Moss. He has never really cared about what others have though of him. He has always been a very likable guy and a great teammate. Does he get frustrated and show his emotions more than others? Of course. But he has always just wanted to win. I am sure if he wanted to moon Lambeau yesterday, he would have.

Anyways, great to see him on such a great team/organization. I was ecstatic when he went to the Pats, because he would have that shot. He has that again here. I wish it would have worked out differently when he went to the Vikings for the second time around, but oh well.

You sound like Randy Moss talking about himself in the 3rd person.

Everything in the past is sh*t under the water, Randy. Stay true with the Niners and you will get your SB ring homie