There are 216 users in the forums

Randy Moss

Shop Find 49ers gear online
F**** Peyton. Not because he didn't sign us with so much as he's just too annoying....
Brandon Jacobs thinks Moss has a chip on his shoulder.

Don't care if the dude is 35. All we need is 1 good year -- this year --- from Randy. We are going for #6!
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Very nice post. Though I don't want to speak for you or others... I don't think posts like this are suggesting that Alex is flawless or blameless in every instance.

.. but it's the coaches' jobs on the line to determine how much blame goes and where to. Our offseason moves really make it pretty clear as to where our coaches assessed the blame... and I doubt that further elaboration on this needs to be explained.
Bingo!! Alex isn't blameless at all. But he wasn't THE problem this time. And that is reflective of the off-season moves. In terms of Randy Moss I still have my doubts. But I have been reading some good things. Still, it's a horrible reflection of the current WR corps, especially on the supposed #1, when a 35 year old with a checkered history and out for a year can come in and in 1 camp be the top WR.

so we should forget that Peyton Manning was really close to throwing for our team

Yes, please forget that Peyton Manning could have signed with us. Lets deal with whats on our roster now and not what could have been.

Then he can't say smith was excluded from the blame just because we didn't sign a QB
Originally posted by NickSh49:
"Should we also forget that Kurt Warner kinda-almost signed with us in 2009?"

Yes.

I'm still trying to forget that Edwards, Lelie, Morton, Bryant, Jackson, Johnson, Bruce and Jones were all FAs signed since 2005 to strengthen the WR position! Two were decent--Bruce was way past his prime and A Bryant went batty. Other than that these guys were much ado about nothing. If I left out a super duper WR FA (other than Moss) please let me know.
Then he can't say smith was excluded from the blame just because we didn't sign a QB

He didn't say that Smith was excluded from the blame. He said Alex isn't blameless, but he wasn't THE problem this time.

Try reading the posts before you fire off back at them.
Question: If Randy just caught one pass a game and it was for a touchdown in all 16 games, would he be upset with that kind of production? Granted, I am hoping he catches 4-6 a game and touchdowns.
Originally posted by kingyuma:
Question: If Randy just caught one pass a game and it was for a touchdown in all 16 games, would he be upset with that kind of production? Granted, I am hoping he catches 4-6 a game and touchdowns.

As long as we are winning. For that type of production, he would be exclusively a redzone weapon. If we are losing, I'm sure Randy would b*tch about more touch like any elite WR would do. I would be happy if Moss can contribute anyway possible. But to have him contribute close to something he had in New England....
  • Ether
  • Veteran

Very nice post. Though I don't want to speak for you or others... I don't think posts like this are suggesting that Alex is flawless or blameless in every instance.

.. but it's the coaches' jobs on the line to determine how much blame goes and where to. Our offseason moves really make it pretty clear as to where our coaches assessed the blame... and I doubt that further elaboration on this needs to be explained.
Bingo!! Alex isn't blameless at all. But he wasn't THE problem this time. And that is reflective of the off-season moves. In terms of Randy Moss I still have my doubts. But I have been reading some good things. Still, it's a horrible reflection of the current WR corps, especially on the supposed #1, when a 35 year old with a checkered history and out for a year can come in and in 1 camp be the top WR.

so we should forget that Peyton Manning was really close to throwing for our team

Yes, please forget that Peyton Manning could have signed with us. Lets deal with whats on our roster now and not what could have been.

Do you even read?

You even bolded the part of his post where he said "Alex Smith isn't blameless..."
Regarding the topic of our offseason moves.

Forget about Alex Smith for a second I really don't see a difference between this year's moves and every other years moves. Signing high reward receivers at low contracts (Edwards, Lelie, Jackson) and bringing in a early running backs (Coffee, Hunter) as been our MO for quite some time now.

This offseason wasn't anything out of the ordinary for us. We prioritized the receiver position more than before but there's only so many draft picks you can throw at the line before you go elsewhere.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Regarding the topic of our offseason moves.

Forget about Alex Smith for a second I really don't see a difference between this year's moves and every other years moves. Signing high reward receivers at low contracts (Edwards, Lelie, Jackson) and bringing in a early running backs (Coffee, Hunter) as been our MO for quite some time now.

This offseason wasn't anything out of the ordinary for us. We prioritized the receiver position more than before but there's only so many draft picks you can throw at the line before you go elsewhere.

I feel better about this receiving core than any others. All the other FA and outside pickups were very suspect and border line rejects from previous years (yes - I got flamed for this description at the time ). Some of them do have skills, but for one reason or another, they just don't put forth on the field and for very short period if at all. This year we have various guys that are quick, big, fast, good hands, and have proven they can make the big catch in big games. We didn't have the combo of these before.

Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I feel better about this receiving core than any others. All the other FA and outside pickups were very suspect and border line rejects from previous years (yes - I got flamed for this description at the time ). Some of them do have skills, but for one reason or another, they just don't put forth on the field and for very short period if at all. This year we have various guys that are quick, big, fast, good hands, and have proven they can make the big catch in big games. We didn't have the combo of these before.

Same strategy is my point. Randy Moss didn't play last year and was a train wreck the year before. You may feel better about it because he's Randy Moss (so do I) but his signing really isn't much different than Edwards or Lelie, Bruce or Jackson. It's a cheap, little risk lightning in the bottle approach.

I do think supporting cast has always been our biggest need considering how good our defense is. There's no question we've needed to upgrade the line and receivers and that's what we've done over the past few years. I'm just saying our approach to it really didn't change too much.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jul 12, 2012 at 3:43 PM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Same strategy is my point. Randy Moss didn't play last year and was a train wreck the year before. You may feel better about it because he's Randy Moss (so do I) but his signing really isn't much different than Edwards or Lelie, Bruce or Jackson. It's a cheap, little risk lightning in the bottle approach.

I do think supporting cast has always been our biggest need considering how good our defense is. There's no question we've needed to upgrade the line and receivers and that's what we've done over the past few years. I'm just saying our approach to it really didn't change too much.
Agreed. Didn't cost us much at all. Also, the "supporters" brought in serve to push starters and presumed starters to maximize all positions, especially WR. But I will say a clear signal has been sent to the whole roster: Competition will rule. So if you won't apply yourself and put in the extra work this team needs from you, if your just here for a check, then you'll be sitting and we'll get a player who will.
"Randy is trying to be a leader. He's trying to set a good example for these young players," Gannon said. "You know, I think it gets back to what the expectations are. Harbaugh -- not a ton of rules, but (he has) expectations for a pro like Randy: 'I'm here to help you. We can get you back to playing like you did a couple years ago. You can be a huge addition for our offense. You can help us in the vertical passing game. But here's what you have to do.' .... So far, Moss has bought in." This, of course, is all good news if you're a 49ers fan. Not only does Moss seem like the deep threat the 49ers have lacked for, oh, the last decade. He appears to be the mentor Crabtree and the team's other young receivers have been missing in recent years. If signing Moss after a year out of football was a gamble, then the gamble is paying off nicely early on. But it's also important to keep in mind that nothing has really happened yet. The 49ers haven't even practiced in pads. We're still in the sunshine-and-roses, sell-our-tickets phase of the football season when just about everything printed is positive and optimistic.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/07/will-moss-take-49ers-to-the-front-of-the-class.html#more
"Randy is trying to be a leader. He's trying to set a good example for these young players," Gannon said. "You know, I think it gets back to what the expectations are. Harbaugh -- not a ton of rules, but (he has) expectations for a pro like Randy: 'I'm here to help you. We can get you back to playing like you did a couple years ago. You can be a huge addition for our offense. You can help us in the vertical passing game. But here's what you have to do.' .... So far, Moss has bought in." This, of course, is all good news if you're a 49ers fan. Not only does Moss seem like the deep threat the 49ers have lacked for, oh, the last decade. He appears to be the mentor Crabtree and the team's other young receivers have been missing in recent years. If signing Moss after a year out of football was a gamble, then the gamble is paying off nicely early on. But it's also important to keep in mind that nothing has really happened yet. The 49ers haven't even practiced in pads. We're still in the sunshine-and-roses, sell-our-tickets phase of the football season when just about everything printed is positive and optimistic.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/07/will-moss-take-49ers-to-the-front-of-the-class.html#more

This makes me really hopeful. A healthy, invested Moss makes us SO much better.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
This makes me really hopeful. A healthy, invested Moss makes us SO much better.

+ 1 !!!

The only thing keeping me from full-scale, premature... uhm... celebration.. is that I had high hopes for Braylon this time last year as well. But I am still expecting Moss to stay committed, so it's gonna be all 's from me until there's something to worry about.
Share 49ersWebzone