There are 85 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Alex Boone competing at OG

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
I looked up the height of good guards,

6'3'' - 6' 5'' seems to be the ideal size.

The following are 6'3''- 6' 5'': Iupati, Hutchinson, Bruce Matthews, Carl Nicks, Randle Mcdaniel, LArry Allen, Mike Munchak, Gene Upshaw and the list goes on.

Harbaugh discusses Boone's height with Maiocco; Sees no problem with it:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/pages/ninersvideo?PID=hXWM2-QssmDjEcTP__3dTOQ3DcilSZqbYEyrhi

Interesting that this happened to be addressed just now.

Seems like Harbaugh is fully intent on playing Boone if he deems him the best at the spot. We'll see what happens.

I'm all for it. If the coaches like what they see, hell, why not? I mean we turned a DE into a pro bowl FB in one year....Tackle to Guard is easier probably.

I was just curious to see how tall the better guards in the league were. I posted it for others to see.
There was even some mention in these Boone articles of seeing of ADavis might move into RG if Boone was better sutied to RT. Personally, not a fan of the idea of having tall, relatively light tackles trying to play G. Shoot, its hard enough for the QB to see over the OL as it is! (joking).

I'd rather see Boone stay as the swing OT and let Kilgore or Looney fight for the job.
Hi, I am Mike Nolan and I DO NOT APPROVE of this idea.
Originally posted by Baugh_Area:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by Garcia:
harbaughs running offense it seems has the guards pulling a lot. Boone doesnt seem all the athletic
You talking then or now? I ask because Boone is much quicker and in better shape than before... so I would think he can handle the pull blocks pretty well.

Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I just dont see how this dude will be able to get low enough? He'll be facing guys his weight and possibly stronger, but nearly 4 inches shorter.
Can't remember the name at the moment, but Oakland had a top rd OT that sucked at OT, but when moved in at G, he was very good. Another 6' 7"-ish guy, he was.

I believe you're referencing Jared Veldheer? If he's the guy Im thinking of, he even got some time at C as a rookie and impressed. Good to know similarly tall individuals have succeeded on the inside.

Kevin Gogan?
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
harbaughs running offense it seems has the guards pulling a lot. Boone doesnt seem all the athletic
You talking then or now? I ask because Boone is much quicker and in better shape than before... so I would think he can handle the pull blocks pretty well.

I just dont see how this dude will be able to get low enough? He'll be facing guys his weight and possibly stronger, but nearly 4 inches shorter.
Can't remember the name at the moment, but Oakland had a top rd OT that sucked at OT, but when moved in at G, he was very good. Another 6' 7"-ish guy, he was.

I believe you're referencing Jared Veldheer? If he's the guy Im thinking of, he even got some time at C as a rookie and impressed. Good to know similarly tall individuals have succeeded on the inside.

Kevin Gogan?

yeah he was a 6' 7'' guard
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Kevin Gogan?

yeah he was a 6' 7'' guard

Played RT in college and for his first 3 years in Dallas, then switched to LG and helped Emmitt Smith win first rushing title. A former 9er as well. 3 Pro Bowls...Google is wonderful!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on May 15, 2012 at 9:02 PM ]
Laptop freaked out... pardon.
[ Edited by oldman9er on May 16, 2012 at 5:31 AM ]
stupid connection issues....
[ Edited by oldman9er on May 16, 2012 at 5:31 AM ]

I was actually talking about Robert Gallery... the OT bust that made his teams smile when he shifted to G. There was also some other 6' 7" G playing for a team last season... Colts, I think. Just saying to others and as you have now said, there is a successful precedent. Frankly, I'm surprised at so much resistance over this. You would think the fans want the most experienced players on the field and especially the ones that have improved themselves so much as Boone has. Folks really want to start rookies or even Kilgore who hasn't played a reg. season snap? Well.... ooooookay.
They have young bodies at guard but who's backing up Goodwin at center.... I think it's one of the reason they are trying Boone at G. So Kilgore can backup Goodwin if there's an injury at Center. And Goodwin is 'the old man of the sea' at center for us next year. If there's an injury Kilgore will move inside to Center. Boone comes in at Guard for Kilgore. If no injury Boone is the backup swing tackle while Kilgore gets the Guard position.

If both Goodwin and Kilgore get injured, well there goes the season.... but wait...Iupati moves inside to become a Pro-bowl Center
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on May 16, 2012 at 6:22 AM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
The have young bodies at guard but who's backing up Goodwin at center.... I think it's one of the reason they are trying Boone at G. So Kilgore can backup Goodwin if there's an injury at Center. And Goodwin is 'the old man of the sea' at center for us next year. If there's an injury Kilgore will move inside to Center. Boone comes in at Guard for Kilgore. If no injury Boone is the backup swing tackle while Kilgore gets the Guard position.

If both Goodwin and Kilgore get injured, well there goes the season.... but wait...Iupati moves inside to become a Pro-bowl Center

Haha. It seems we have the coaches hoping that Kilgore can be a great replacement for Goodwin at C. If not, then Slowey could be that guy later. I am hoping Kilgore excels at C... that would mean that Slowey can be placed on the PS and this gives us another needed spot on the roster.

Looney is probably the plan B for 2013 if either Boone, Anthony Davis (please move him inside), or Kilgore don't handle the RG spot well enough.

We do still have Mike Person and Derek Hall that could be progressing better than we think at OT.
I was actually talking about Robert Gallery... the OT bust that made his teams smile when he shifted to G. There was also some other 6' 7" G playing for a team last season... Colts, I think. Just saying to others and as you have now said, there is a successful precedent. Frankly, I'm surprised at so much resistance over this. You would think the fans want the most experienced players on the field and especially the ones that have improved themselves so much as Boone has. Folks really want to start rookies or even Kilgore who hasn't played a reg. season snap? Well.... ooooookay.

Hmm...more examples of this working out than I had remembered at first! However, the examples we have listed were failures at OT and Boone has not failed.

Hmm...more examples of this working out than I had remembered at first! However, the examples we have listed were failures at OT and Boone has not failed.

Definitely appreciate the distinction. I think Boone can work at RG, as well as shift out to OT (due to others injured) and still be effective on the edge. As he stated in a Maiocco article... as an OT, you still have to know who your fellow teammates are supposed to block. So whether Alex plays outside or inside, he will know his assignment if his role changes suddenly.
Definitely appreciate the distinction. I think Boone can work at RG, as well as shift out to OT (due to others injured) and still be effective on the edge. As he stated in a Maiocco article... as an OT, you still have to know who your fellow teammates are supposed to block. So whether Alex plays outside or inside, he will know his assignment if his role changes suddenly.

I agree, but it does bother me that the coaches are still tinkering...hope they are just creating possibilities for the line and not trying to find someone who can play the position. Really would like to see the line set going into TC, or at least mid way through so that they can build needed rapport. As you say, Boone already knows his OT assignments pretty well and he is a logical choice to try at OG just to see if he can play the position.

Perhaps they are just doing what I have been wanting...cross training so that injuries will be less catastrophic?!

I agree, but it does bother me that the coaches are still tinkering...hope they are just creating possibilities for the line and not trying to find someone who can play the position. Really would like to see the line set going into TC, or at least mid way through so that they can build needed rapport. As you say, Boone already knows his OT assignments pretty well and he is a logical choice to try at OG just to see if he can play the position.

Perhaps they are just doing what I have been wanting...cross training so that injuries will be less catastrophic?!

Yeah, maybe so. One thing's for sure, I have a LOT more faith in these coaches to quickly find the best spots for these guys.. be it on the bench or starting 5. So with that much said, I don't mind a little tinkering to see who can do what. We really have the time... this time... to get the spots figured out.