Tony Jerrod Eddie

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Johnny Jolly (35th) - 183rd pick
B.J. Raji (43rd) - 9th pick
Ziggy Hood (44th) - 32nd pick
Kendell Reyes (45th) - 49th pick

Those aren't exactly outstanding names, especially in recent years but what it does show is that TJE is a better player and learner than people than people give him credit for. Also shows how great of coach Tomsula is. However 3 of those players weren't selected where they were for nothing so it is great to see TJE excelling in comparison with higher "pedigree" players during limited playing time.

This is why I don't see us drafting a DL early. We're essentially getting a 1st round talent for free this coming season in Tank, TJE is clearly playing well, Quinton Dial is going to get a shot, Ian Williams will be back from his ankle injury, we have Dorsey for 1 more year...Ray Mac may not be a spring chicken but he's got a lot of tread left. Replacing Cowboy will be difficult but we have far more pressing needs than DL.

Go TJE and Co.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
TJE is a solid back up and could be a starter on another team. Maybe Tomsula will also do good with Mike Purcell (PS) for more depth....
[ Edited by LVJay on Feb 27, 2014 at 6:46 PM ]
Originally posted by LVJay:
TJE is a solid back up and could be a starter on another team. Maybe Tomsula will also do good with Mike Purcell (PS) for more depth....

I'm also interested in seeing what a year of football training and teaching has done for Okoye.
TJE surprised me last year, it's not a reach to say he may be more than a backup.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:

I'm also interested in seeing what a year of football training and teaching has done for Okoye.

He's got all the tools, but he's got a long way to go with no NFL experience prior to last year (skill/technique/mentally). I don't know what his potential is as a DL, but I hope the coaches find a way to get him developed and ready to go.

He's got all the tools, but he's got a long way to go with no NFL experience prior to last year (skill/technique/mentally). I don't know what his potential is as a DL, but I hope the coaches find a way to get him developed and ready to go.

It's gonna be real hard to keep Tomsula if this kid does develop.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
It's gonna be real hard to keep Tomsula if this kid does develop.

He definitely coaches the position well and players love him. And, he sure does have character (little bit of Super Mario Brothers / Ron Jeremy look going on there) ... would be a blast to watch him / his antics on the sideline if he ever were to become a HC.
Only a C potential on madden but he always spins and swings OLine men side by side in it!
  • HIMYM
  • Veteran
It's all Jim Tomsula. Not a coincidence all of our DL do so well when given playing time. If only we could find a WR coach who could coach half as well as Tomsula.
TJE i think can be a good player in this league...he makes plays every time he's on the field

TJE was definitely one of the most pleasant surprises personnel wise. He held up surprisingly well when he was in. If he can take the next step, who knows?

I still wish that we would develop a real rotation of the DL (maybe series by series?) so that late in the game and late in the season, the Line can generate huge pressure and put the game away.
Originally posted by socal9er42:
TJE was definitely one of the most pleasant surprises personnel wise. He held up surprisingly well when he was in. If he can take the next step, who knows?

I still wish that we would develop a real rotation of the DL (maybe series by series?) so that late in the game and late in the season, the Line can generate huge pressure and put the game away.

they did a lot of rotating this yr but they weren't rotating ahmad brooks and aldon smith, but do u really want them to rotate those guys
He was my only "WTF?" player when the final 53 roster was released. I heard one or two beat writers mention his name and I bleieve one had him making the 53 but saw very little from him during pre season games and heard virtually nothing about him overall. But I'm stoked about how well he's developed under Tomsula and the more experience he gets, like last year, the better I feel about him backing up McDonald should he go down again. Really happy for the kid...
Another example of Tomsulas fine coaching ...TJE contributed when his number was called, he will only continue to get better
Originally posted by iLL49er:
Originally posted by socal9er42:

they did a lot of rotating this yr but they weren't rotating ahmad brooks and aldon smith, but do u really want them to rotate those guys

They were better on the rotation this year than last year, and injuries added up, but next season......?

Ian and Dorsey at NT, Smith/McDonald/Tank/TJE at DE, and heavy rotation at Outside Linebacker - I thought everybody performed pretty damn good at that position. Let 'em play hard on every snap and rotate to stay fresh. Soooo much talent there.
Share 49ersWebzone