There are 108 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

all-time quarterback controversies

Originally posted by Lott49ersFan:
Originally posted by SundayTicket:
Alex Smith Troy Smith; Alex Smith Shaun HIll; Alex Smith JT O Sullivan; Alex Smith and now Colin Kapernick. Who will challenge alex next?!

Gotta give it to Alex, he's won every one of them...

Troy Smith had a pretty good winning percentage for our team at the time filling in for the injured Trent Dilfer. He was 3-3, and brought a little excitement to the passing game. He never had an opportunity to compete for a starting job with Alex Smith.

Shaun Hill beat out Alex Smith for the starting job in training camp, and was good enough to create a quarterback controversy.
JT O'Sullivan beat out Alex Smith for the starting job in training camp. He won the job before Alex's injury.
Colin Kaepernick with five weeks of NFL practice, was beat out by Alex Smith, with six years of NFL experience.

So Alex beat out Colin, with his five weeks of practice. I think Alex also beat out Tim Rattay? But he was the #1 overall pick, so we basically had to start him. Rattay didn't really have a chance. Then again, neither did Colin.
[ Edited by BrianGO on May 4, 2012 at 11:04 PM ]
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by Lott49ersFan:
Originally posted by SundayTicket:
Alex Smith Troy Smith; Alex Smith Shaun HIll; Alex Smith JT O Sullivan; Alex Smith and now Colin Kapernick. Who will challenge alex next?!

Gotta give it to Alex, he's won every one of them...

Troy Smith had a pretty good winning percentage for our team at the time filling in for the injured Trent Dilfer. He was 3-3, and brought a little excitement to the passing game. He never had an opportunity to compete for a starting job with Alex Smith.

Shaun Hill beat out Alex Smith for the starting job in training camp, and was good enough to create a quarterback controversy.
JT O'Sullivan beat out Alex Smith for the starting job in training camp. He won the job before Alex's injury.
Colin Kaepernick with five weeks of NFL practice, was beat out by Alex Smith, with six years of NFL experience.

So Alex beat out Colin, with his five weeks of practice. I think Alex also beat out Tim Rattay? But he was the #1 overall pick, so we basically had to start him. Rattay didn't really have a chance. Then again, neither did Colin.

Troy Smith won games because no one had film on him.

And then after that... well, look at how he did against Tampa (hint hint... shutout at home).
Originally posted by 49ersFan:
I was watching nfl networks show about the all time qc and the joe montant v steve young came up. It had been so long I completely forgot montana had played the second half of the last game of the 92 season and was completely healthy for the playoffs. Instead we went with young who had completed his second full year as the starter and led the team to a 13-3 record. looking back so many years later it really messed with my mind that we had a healthy 4 time superbowl champion joe montana sitting the bench. As we know, dallas 90's dynasty starts that year in 92 as they come to frisco and beat us...anybody have any memories or thoughts?

in 1992 we were 14-2
How about the Elvis Grbac vs. Steve Young controversy. Ken Dorsey vs. Rodeo cowboy Cody Pickett was Epic too
Originally posted by 49ersFan:
I was watching nfl networks show about the all time qc and the joe montant v steve young came up. It had been so long I completely forgot montana had played the second half of the last game of the 92 season and was completely healthy for the playoffs. Instead we went with young who had completed his second full year as the starter and led the team to a 13-3 record. looking back so many years later it really messed with my mind that we had a healthy 4 time superbowl champion joe montana sitting the bench. As we know, dallas 90's dynasty starts that year in 92 as they come to frisco and beat us...anybody have any memories or thoughts?

i dont think it reflects on Young playing or Montana on the bench. The rest of the league, the Cowboys especially, began building their defenses to stop our WCO, and began implementing WCO philosophies to build their offenses... it was just a matter of time.
Originally posted by jprchrds:
How about the Elvis Grbac vs. Steve Young controversy. Ken Dorsey vs. Rodeo cowboy Cody Pickett was Epic too

Grbac vs. Young? I think it was Bono vs. Young to take over for Joe.
Trent Dilfer vs. Chris Weinke = all time classic battle.