LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 224 users in the forums

No shot at Smith but it seems like we are building for Kaepernick

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Speedy deep threat type wr's, super fast RB's that can split out wide and blow the top off the opposing defense.

The guy with the accurate big arm is Kaep not Smith!

your thoughts?

To me, seems like we brought in playmakers that'll make *any* quarterback look good. Sure Kaepernick has a bigger arm than Alex, but you saw what they did in Stanford... Even with the best college QB in the nation, good but not great WRs (that included Doug Baldwin and a 4.38 running Chris Owusu), Coby Fleener... they ran the ball quite often to set-up deep play action passes. We'll be the same. We'll have the three, four wide receiver spread in our playbook and will go to it from time to time, but don't be mistaken. Our team's mantra will be to run the ball, and pass off the play action. Meanwhile, we're going to need smart quarterback play. Smart quarterback play not only means checking down when there's nothing there... but not holding the ball and taking so many sacks on third down. The additions we made aren't geared toward any specific quarterback.

If you want to say who our draft additions benefit more... you could make the case for Alex Smith... A.J. Jenkins is going to catch the majority of his receptions underneath (though he *does* have the speed to go vertical), while LaMichael James is going to be catching screens and flat passes. Short-passing favors Smith more than Kaepernick does.

As for Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick... I truly don't think there's some behind-the-scenes workings going on. We're just building the offense, bringing in linemen and playmakers at the skill positions. Both are NFL-level quarterbacks who can function in this offense. It's not like we've got Tim Tebow and are bringing in a very *specific* group of niche players that work in a *specific* offense. The job is Alex Smith's for however long he can beat out Colin Kaepernick. I think Alex Smith is still developing as a QB himself, yet has so much experience. He's still a young quarterback with a lot of room to grow. I don't think Kaep will beat Alex this year, but maybe next year he'll seriously challenge.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
gee, a thread that turned out into CK vs smith. Pardon me if I do not roll out the shock and awe campaign. so what the hell, I must have missed something really special in those five passes ck threw that lead some to know he is the quarterback of the future.. He better just worry about beating out JJ as the number two man for now
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Speedy deep threat type wr's, super fast RB's that can split out wide and blow the top off the opposing defense.

your thoughts?

Kaepernick is the QB of the future. They didn't MOVE UP to draft him just so they could stick with Alex forever. When he is ready, he will take over. Anyone who doesn't see that is fooling themselves.

This!
  • flow
  • Veteran
People will do mental gymnastics to slight Smith at any opportunity. Maybe this isn't a Smith indictment more than it is a Crabtree/Williams/Gore indictment?

Crabtree would not be on this team if he were not a first rounder. Kyle Williams is unreliable because of a long concussion history and dropsies. Our team signed two wide receivers and drafted a WR in the first round. This seems more of a Crabtree/Williams statement than a Smith/Kaepernick statement.

As for LaMichael James, he is a first round talent who slipped to the second. Gore, when healthy, is our unquestioned starter. Unfortunately, he is getting up there in age and has an extensive injury history. If he goes down, that's a major blow to our offense. I think James is extra insurance for that.

Our team is good enough to win the Super Bowl right now, Alex Smith is our quarterback right now... and our moves seem to be "right now" moves rather than "Kaepernick beats Johnson and Tolzien in training camp and Smith sucks during the season and Kaepernick becomes the starter" moves. Our first two draft picks should hit the ground running and help our team out regardless of who our QB is.
^^ actually alex is much better accuracy wise throwing the deep ball than kaep

big arm does not = deep ball accuracy
Alex did complete 46.5 percent of his passes over 20 yards in the air. Not quite great, but very good.

some scouting reports of kaep coming out of college:

The most accurate of his passes come when he is outside of the pocket lots of his passes across the middle and deep are sometimes off the mark, he is a lot more accurate when he throws bullets, especially to the sideline.

Needs more work on accuracy, especially deep accuracy

but has struggled at times throwing the ball deep with accuracy. Does not put enough air under the ball for the receiver to adjust. Needs to work on his footwork.

Kaepernick's throws over the middle and along the sideline suffered from poor ball placement. On more than one sideline attempt, the ball wasn't thrown to the outside but inside where the defender could make a play. Over the middle, the ball had a tendency to get high forcing his target to stop and adjust to the football.

i have no clue how much he has progressed in practice
but since we have no acess to practice i have no idea how YOU know that kaep has a better deep ball than alex because kape did not have that deep ball accuracy in college
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Apr 29, 2012 at 12:04 PM ]
  • carl
  • Veteran
Clearly with the draft picks acquired in next years draft they and how it takes 2-3 years for those late round picks to develop... 2015 is their year.
So disappointing that the 49ers almost made it to the Superbowl last year and got late picks because of that.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
This!

your thoughts?

Kaepernick is the QB of the future. They didn't MOVE UP to draft him just so they could stick with Alex forever. When he is ready, he will take over. Anyone who doesn't see that is fooling themselves.

This!
I could also say that the reason they got johnson is cuz they are losing faith in ck and are not pleased with his development, then you can counter me and then all of a sudden we are repeating that has been done in many other threads.Remember at the TIME they drafted Ck,,, ah never mind
Originally posted by flow:
People will do mental gymnastics to slight Smith at any opportunity. Maybe this isn't a Smith indictment more than it is a Crabtree/Williams/Gore indictment?

Crabtree would not be on this team if he were not a first rounder. Kyle Williams is unreliable because of a long concussion history and dropsies. Our team signed two wide receivers and drafted a WR in the first round. This seems more of a Crabtree/Williams statement than a Smith/Kaepernick statement.

As for LaMichael James, he is a first round talent who slipped to the second. Gore, when healthy, is our unquestioned starter. Unfortunately, he is getting up there in age and has an extensive injury history. If he goes down, that's a major blow to our offense. I think James is extra insurance for that.

Our team is good enough to win the Super Bowl right now, Alex Smith is our quarterback right now... and our moves seem to be "right now" moves rather than "Kaepernick beats Johnson and Tolzien in training camp and Smith sucks during the season and Kaepernick becomes the starter" moves. Our first two draft picks should hit the ground running and help our team out regardless of who our QB is.

Your post is riddled with irony LOL

I don't care who but i want JJ or CK to look very impressive in training camp & pre-season. I'm so done with Alex Smith and his chieck downs, being to scared to let it loose, or just taking sacks cause he looks confused. One of them need to look impressive to take over the starting QB position. We are an elite QB away from being a dynasty caliber team.

your thoughts?

There is no such things as a "QB of the future." Almost all players designated as such never become starters. Kaepernick is a backup QB trying to earn his way onto the team and into a starting role. That's all.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hateroids84:
I don't care who but i want JJ or CK to look very impressive in training camp & pre-season. I'm so done with Alex Smith and his chieck downs, being to scared to let it loose, or just taking sacks cause he looks confused. One of them need to look impressive to take over the starting QB position. We are an elite QB away from being a dynasty caliber team.
taking sacks cuz he looks confused. did you see the offensive line play in the first half to three quarters of the year, did you see the ravens game. the offensive line was horrid early in the year and i am still not sure how we won despite thier woes.yep, this title ended up becoming just what i thought it would and I am right in there with em. I have become what i despise
Originally posted by hateroids84:

lol check downs ?

The 49ers targeted RB just 54 times last season, second-fewest in the NFL. Despite this, 49ers RBs dropped a league-high 9 passes

and by the way

lets orget teh complete lack of weapons we have ok

can you name 1 elite qb who has done good with so many coaching changes every year im going to give you an example

brett favre 2006 mccarthy came to town brand new WCO system and he had an offseason:

56 comp % 18 TD 18 int 3800 yards

year 2 same offense same OC

66 comp % 28 TD 15 int 4100 yards
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Apr 29, 2012 at 12:11 PM ]
So we targeted positions that we needed only for CK. Alex isn't allowed to use them
Why do people keep insisting that Kaep is definitely the future regardless of what Smith does...? So if Smith puts up say 25 TDs and 10 INT and we win the super bowl this year...Kap will be the starter simply because "we didn't trade up for notheeng dood lulz llolzlzo...." ?
  • flow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by flow:

Your post is riddled with irony LOL

You don't seem to know what "irony" means.
Share 49ersWebzone