There are 99 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

No shot at Smith but it seems like we are building for Kaepernick

Originally posted by 49erRider:
Kaepernick is the QB of the future. They didn't MOVE UP to draft him just so they could stick with Alex forever. When he is ready, he will take over. Anyone who doesn't see that is fooling themselves.

Just because the team traded up a few places doesn't actually mean anything now. Neither you nor anyone else here has seen anything out of CK which guarantees him a future starting position. He may be the future starter. He may not. You don't know.

Right now and at least until the pre-season games, you are the one who is fooling himself.
Transparent bash thread to stir pot is still.. transparent.
and youre underestimating alex arm hes throwin it 60 to 70 yards ie seen him in gametime do that

Alex did complete 46.5 percent of his passes over 20 yards in the air. Not quite great, but very good.

and thats without any deep threat or frankly any talent at WR last year

-Q: On the theme of competition, with your quarterbacks, do you consider Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick competing for the job? Does Alex have the lead?

-HARBAUGH: Alex Smith is our starting quarterback. That's something that he's earned. There'll be competition at the quarterback position throughout the entire depth chart of our quarterbacks.They'll be competing for the second spot, they'll be competing for the third spot and Alex is always competing. That's just his make-up and his nature.

Q Alex's spot was earned by his play last year?
-HARBAUGH: Without a doubt. Without a doubt. Alex Smith is our guy, he's our quarterback, our quarterback will always be a 49er, that is Alex Smith.

[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Apr 29, 2012 at 10:23 AM ]
Lol the Smith fans come out with guns blazing. Haha
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Just because the team traded up a few places doesn't actually mean anything now. Neither you nor anyone else here has seen anything out of CK which guarantees him a future starting position. He may be the future starter. He may not. You don't know.

Right now and at least until the pre-season games, you are the one who is fooling himself.

Seriously, it's not like we traded up into the first. Plus figure in that chances are we really wanted Dalton...It's not like we haven't had 2nd rounders bust before(mays, chilo, coffee).

But I'm not a kaep hater either, he just has a lot to prove before I can say he's better than alex. I like his attitude, he certainly sees himself as the future. But this thread is ridiculous lol. As if Alex can't take advantage of having speedy WR and RBs. These pieces benefit whoever is starting.
Originally posted by susweel:

Not really. Just trying to correct this ridiculous presumption quite common around here that CK is the quarterback of the future. No evidence at all to support this, just some folks bias against Smith.

Four guys in the frame right now.
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Seems to be the case .

Especially since the type of contract they gave Alex, it basically says he is not our long term QB.

That contract says he's mr. right now

Not really. Just trying to correct this ridiculous presumption quite common around here that CK is the quarterback of the future. No evidence at all to support this, just some folks bias against Smith.

Smiths contract says otherwise.
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Transparent bash thread to stir pot is still.. transparent.

[ Edited by English on Apr 29, 2012 at 10:53 AM ]
nOriginally posted by susweel:
Smiths contract says otherwise.

im tired of this arguement how so the roster bonus?

by that logic not team trustss anyone

colts didnt trust peyton?

why do you think it was so easy for them to get rid of him?

most if not all starters have a roster bonus in which they dont have to pay the full guarenteed money if still not on roster
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Apr 29, 2012 at 10:34 AM ]
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Speedy deep threat type wr's, super fast RB's that can split out wide and blow the top off the opposing defense.

The guy with the accurate big arm is Kaep not Smith!

your thoughts?

I think we added more weapons to our offense. With a full offseason they will be able to work on a lot of things. hopefully it all comes together so that we have a top offense. Unless we're decimated by injuries I dont think anyone can say Smith didn't have people to throw to. I'm excited for year 2

I would say Smiths recent contract and the fact that we traded up to the beginning of the 2nd round to get Kap would have to be considered evidence of how the 49ers view the future of the qb position. I think even the staunchest Smith supporters would have to admit that.
We are definitely building for the future and both QBs are a part of it. Until Kap beats Smith for the job, I really don't think he should be in the conversation. Kap has his hands full with Josh Johnson. Alex doesn't have my total faith in his arm (particularly his deep throws), BUT, he earned my full support as our starting QB.

If/When Kap takes over, I'll back him as well. Until then, he's not much help on Sundays.
Don't we already have a thread over 180 pages long just for this?

I swear what will this group do if and when Alex is no longer on the team.
Originally posted by strickac:
We are definitely building for the future and both QBs are a part of it. Until Kap beats Smith for the job, I really don't think he should be in the conversation. Kap has his hands full with Josh Johnson. Alex doesn't have my total faith in his arm (particularly his deep throws), BUT, he earned my full support as our starting QB.

If/When Kap takes over, I'll back him as well. Until then, he's not much help on Sundays.

disagree with this

there is a difference not thworing and not having faith

in our past years 2 to 3 years wh on our team has been a deep threat?

why all of a suddent hte 2 people who have the most influence on the team and the people who actually watch 49er film extensively desperatly tried to get deep threat

we got randy moss a 35 year old and spent a first round pick both on deep threats

that is a clear message to me that when harbaugh saw the film that the WR sucked at going deep