LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 275 users in the forums

Grade the 49ers 2012 Draft Class

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Grade the 49ers 2012 Draft Class

Originally posted by defenderDX:
lol who voted F.......
I voted D-
LMJ is the only quality player from the draft. Out of 7 picks, that is abysmal. Missing on the round 1 pick hurts the most.

Aj Jenkins- gons
Slowy-gone
Fleming- injured
Johnson- will be gone maybe on PS
Funny looking back on this thread so much love for pretty much guys that are NOT even on this team anymore, how things quickly change in a year span.Can go down as probably the WORST draft class in 49ers history

See ya Cam

LMJ and Looney

Safe to say this draft no higher than a D
I gave it a D
D+.

F would be a complete failure, D would be value for the player, and LMJ is a special talent that isn't like anyone we currently have, so D+.

I don't think we'll ever see Looney as a starter.
It's funny that this class had good votes in 2012. Now we can see it was almost worthless. How many players are still here? Two? Three?
Originally posted by grizzlyadams:
It's funny that this class had good votes in 2012. Now we can see it was almost worthless. How many players are still here? Two? Three?

Draft boondoggle to the maximum. They would have been better off trading picks from 2012 draft for future picks as no players are contributing.

Lets hope LMJ can make it as a pro.

Looney is still a ???

The first round pick still hurts the most. So many talented players that where passed up. Water under the bridge.
There's nothing left to grade
No wonder the 49ers let Tom Gamble leave. Yech!!!
I gave it a C just now.

Generous maybe, but if LMJ can approximate a Sproles, all is not lost on that draft.

All that is left is James and Looney. Then UDFA's Jerod-Eddie and Celek. Hampton and Thomas on the PS. Also, depends if you get technical or not but like I said I believe we used 6th from trading down in 2012 draft to get Moody this year. Also, traded Jenkins for Baldwin. And then whoever the 7th becomes for Johnson. So depends on if you are grading just rounds 1-7 or UDFA and trades. Until James, Looney, Jerod-Eddie, Celek, Hampton, Thomas, Baldwin, Moody and the 7th for Johnson are off the team the 2012 class in my opinion isn't done. Not to mention our 3rd in 2012 we traded down and used to move up this year for Eric Reid. Like I said if we don't have that we trade our 3rd we used for Lemonier to get Reid. So either no Reid or no Lemonier.
Awful. How can people claim Baalke is such a mastermind with a draft if he threw up a dud like this as recently as last year? (for the record, I think his 2013 draft was A+)
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
Pretty good example of why grading the draft immediately afterwards is a complete waste of time.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
Originally posted by theduke85:
Awful. How can people claim Baalke is such a mastermind with a draft if he threw up a dud like this as recently as last year? (for the record, I think his 2013 draft was A+)

Because the measure of draft success is not perfection. Everybody makes bad picks. Everybody has bad drafts. Baalke's 2012 draft has to be weighed against his 2010 and 2011 drafts... plus a 2013 draft that's looking very promising. Only time will tell, but the early results indicate that Baalke is above average.

Take a look at Bill Walsh's 1982 draft. He basically got two players (Paris and McLemore) out of 9 picks. Everybody has bad drafts:

Bubba Paris
Newton Williams
Vince Williams
Ron Ferrari
Bryan Clark
Dana McLemore
Tim Barbian
Gary Gibson
Tim Washington
Originally posted by theduke85:

Everyone thought the 2012 draft was all B's before seeing any results or production last year. Haven't we learned our lesson yet?
Share 49ersWebzone