There are 93 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Grade the 49ers 2012 Draft Class

Grade the 49ers 2012 Draft Class

I don't know about you guys but if Baldwin turns out to be what we wanted out of the 31 overall pick at WR then can you really get on him for picking Jenkins? Depends if you are looking at the exact players drafted or if you look at who they were traded for. Also, some might not be considering the 3rd, 5th and 6th we got this year. I still consider that since it's a part of the draft. So Moody (6th) and the 3rd used to go up to get Reid (could be great player) is still part of the class IMO.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I don't know about you guys but if Baldwin turns out to be what we wanted out of the 31 overall pick at WR then can you really get on him for picking Jenkins? Depends if you are looking at the exact players drafted or if you look at who they were traded for. Also, some might not be considering the 3rd, 5th and 6th we got this year. I still consider that since it's a part of the draft. So Moody (6th) and the 3rd used to go up to get Reid (could be great player) is still part of the class IMO.

If Baldwin realizes his potential here, I won't really care that Baalke blew the pick. We just had to wait a little longer to get a return on our 1st round investment and the whole situation turns into a net positive.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Aug 19, 2013 at 11:56 PM ]

Has to be exact players to be fair. We just got lucky with the Baldwin trade, at least now there is a 2nd chance to recoup ourselves. Otherwise, I think it would be hard work to find a team that is willing to trade for Jenkins.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
If Baldwin realizes his potential here, I won't really care that Baalke blew the pick. We just had to wait a little longer to get a return on our 1st round investment and the whole situation turns into a net positive.

Neither would I but some people might still complain about it. On that note even if Baldwin doesn't turn out and Patton turns out to be a #1 or #2 I forgot Jenkins because we got Patton in late 4th. I challenge people too look through old drafts... teams are getting better in the past 5 or so years but look at the 80s, 90s, early 2000s and it is full of busts. Most of the 1st round picks are busts as well. Nobody is perfect yet people still complain about Baalke when he is one of the better GM's in the league.

This n that! Plus, we didn't even see Tank, Dial or Latt yet. If 2012 draft was a fail, Baalke more then made up for it this year, this could go down as best overall draft in franchise history! I love the Niners, yes I'm a homer
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
you are so right. Rueben Randall and David Wilson would be much better than AJ and LJ. Silly draft. Hopefully Baldy can up this grade of an F+ from me if he can contribute and Looney would shape up.

Randle I agree. But David Wilson? I'm perfectly fine with a future duo of LaMichael and Lattimore over him.

I truly cannot BELIEVE we got a guy who has done something for a guy who has done nothing! I'm still a little bit in shock.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Still too early to tell don't you think.

not when you trade your first round pick before his second season. And our third pick in the draft looks lost out there...

Again its only the second year, sheesh the double standard in here is ridiculous. Jenkins could still turn into a solid player, who knows maybe a change of scenery may do him some justice. LaMichael James is a solid back and 9ers didn't have a 3rd round pick in 2012. Trenton Robinson provides depth, don't really know if hes doing good or bad, to tell you the truth I haven't heard his name much. Fleming is injury prone, some times it happens. Cam Johnson looks decent, I doubt he makes the team, but I'm pretty sure he can catch on elsewhere. Slowey, a 6th round pick that couldn't make the team, it happens to most late round picks no big deal. All in all I wouldn't say it was that bad of a draft, this draft looked to be for depth purposes, 2011 is where Baalke picked up his starters.

I gave it a C
  • buck
  • Veteran
I went back and found the grade I gave this draft when this thread started. Here is what I said.

Originally posted by buck:
I gave the draft a B-; in good part because of the extra picks we picked up for next year.

I think Jenkins and James will contribute this year.

But, to be perfectly frank, I really do not know how to evaluate this draft.

I will just wait and see how these players develop.
My overall grade of a B- was clearly too high.

I was wrong about Jenkins. He gets an F.

We missed on Slowey (6th round). I give him a D-/F.

Our fifth rounder has blown out his knee twice and never played, I am giving him a no-grade.

The rest get an incomplete. I said that we have to see.

I still believe that, but I will admit it is not looking good--with some luck it might end up being a C-.
[ Edited by buck on Aug 20, 2013 at 2:17 AM ]
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Still hard to grade this draft, simply because two many guys got hurt. Right now, LaMichael James looks like a great pick and Joe Looney looks good also, particularly if he ends up as the starting center. Between those two, it's an A-/B+. Darius Fleming and Cam Johnson would be an I considering that they were both hurt and didn't get to play. Enough has been said on AJ Jenkins. Based on first year contributions, it's a C/D. I think by this time next year, it should be a solid B. I think they expect to get something out of Trenton Robinson considering they only drafted 1 safety, at least one of the linebackers should make a contribution this year, and AJ Jenkins may finally wake up. Not expecting a monster season from him, but he does have the opportunity to contribute as a #3. If he can't beat out Kyle Williams, he may never be higher than 5 on the depth chart.

Just gonna quote myself. As it still is a solid contributor, but right now won't be challenging for the #2 spot. Joe Looney could start, if he could play center, but his strength is at guard from reports, and right now, there is no cracking that starting lineup on the offensive line unless you are a center. So after just one year, we look to have two backups. Cam Johnson and Trenton Robinson are hanging around. We'll see if they make the 53. I still believe in waiting three years though. You just never know what opportunities may present themselves. However right now, it looks really bad. Almost 2008 bad and I wouldn't argue with anyone that said Kentwan Balmer > AJ Jenkins right now.
Originally posted by 49ers808:
This n that! Plus, we didn't even see Tank, Dial or Latt yet. If 2012 draft was a fail, Baalke more then made up for it this year, this could go down as best overall draft in franchise history! I love the Niners, yes I'm a homer

Yeah 2013 has enough potential that you could split it up and give some guys to the 2012 draft and both could be considered awesome drafts. We got help right now in Reid, McDonald, Lemonier, Patton and Moody. Then we have some guys for the future in Lattimore, Carradine, Dial and possibly Daniels.

edit: and also I think people don't realize how bad a lot of team's drafts are. Most teams are happy to get one good player out of a draft. Go back and look at the drafts every year (especially before mid 2000s) and most 1st rounders are busts, most drafts almost all guys did nothing. Guess we expect Baalke to get 3 all pros each draft. I mean he had a bad draft it happens but more than made up for it in 2010, 2011, 2013. Also, the way they have been signing free agents and working the books as well. Take the 22 and 12 mil RJF and Sopoaga got. We likely came out even or even better signing Ian to 3 years (added 2 years) 3.2 or something likethat mil and then Dorsey for 2 years 6 mil. 44 vs 9ish mil...
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 20, 2013 at 2:29 AM ]
Originally posted by Hopper:
you are so right. Rueben Randall and David Wilson would be much better than AJ and LJ. Silly draft. Hopefully Baldy can up this grade of an F+ from me if he can contribute and Looney would shape up.

Randle I agree. But David Wilson? I'm perfectly fine with a future duo of LaMichael and Lattimore over him.

i think hunter is better than james but i feel like all three will be with us for a while.
Still too early to tell don't you think.

wtf? no
Originally posted by Hopper:

Randle I agree. But David Wilson? I'm perfectly fine with a future duo of Hunter and Lattimore over him.
Assume Hunter comes back 100 percent, he's a much better back than LMJ. Hunter is quick, fast, strong and decisive. LMJ seems to lack vision and strength to go along with this quickness.

If Hunter didn't get injured, I don't think LMJ is even sees the field in any meaningful amount, which to me is a wasted pick.
Again its only the second year, sheesh the double standard in here is ridiculous. Jenkins could still turn into a solid player, who knows maybe a change of scenery may do him some justice. LaMichael James is a solid back and 9ers didn't have a 3rd round pick in 2012. Trenton Robinson provides depth, don't really know if hes doing good or bad, to tell you the truth I haven't heard his name much. Fleming is injury prone, some times it happens. Cam Johnson looks decent, I doubt he makes the team, but I'm pretty sure he can catch on elsewhere. Slowey, a 6th round pick that couldn't make the team, it happens to most late round picks no big deal. All in all I wouldn't say it was that bad of a draft, this draft looked to be for depth purposes, 2011 is where Baalke picked up his starters.

I gave it a C

I don't know Kolohe, if your first rounder is traded after his first year, that's penalty points right there. Also, a second round selection should have starter potential. IMHO, James is not starting potential and its not just because he's behind Gore and Hunter. IMO, those two right there make this a below average draft. If you bomb the two most heavily weighted questions on a 5 question math quiz, you fail.
[ Edited by sweetDwilly on Aug 20, 2013 at 7:36 AM ]