There are 103 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

LaMichael James was a Niner (CUT!)

Originally posted by Antix:
I love Gore, but I think LMJ could break 60 yard runs on some of the run plays that are very well blocked. Frank is tough but doesn't have breakaway speed. If LMJ hits the hole decisively like Frank does he could have some pretty nice runs. If Frank gets 15-20 yards I think LMJ might can break some of those for 40-60. we'll see what happens but I'd like to see him more since he's on the team. He's not doing much as a returner.

Normally he can't get through the hole without being arm tackled.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by Antix:
I love Gore, but I think LMJ could break 60 yard runs on some of the run plays that are very well blocked. Frank is tough but doesn't have breakaway speed. If LMJ hits the hole decisively like Frank does he could have some pretty nice runs. If Frank gets 15-20 yards I think LMJ might can break some of those for 40-60. we'll see what happens but I'd like to see him more since he's on the team. He's not doing much as a returner.

Normally he can't get through the hole without being arm tackled.

Gore is still the man IMO. He is still breaking tackles for some solid chunks of yardage and shows no signs of wearing down.
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Originally posted by Disp:
Hunter is a better back in every way than James. Vision, patience, pass blocking, explosiveness, shiftiness, ball security. LMJ is completely redundant so long as Hunter is healthy because he fills the same role as just a lesser version.

No and no.

Maybe at Oregon. He hasn't done anything in the NFL to prove otherwise though. He doesn't break tackles or beat defenders hardly ever. Hunter's footwork is superior.
[ Edited by Disp on Oct 7, 2013 at 3:12 PM ]
This guy still has huge potential, needs more time on the field.
want us to use him more
Maybe we need to put more teams away, earlier, so that LMJ can get more touches. I don't think this coaching staff likes players learning at the expense of the team. How else can you explain the limited action most guys get on this team? Unless you are an Eric Reid or Aldon Smith, coming in clearly superior to the other talent, you are riding the pine. As much as I like the fact that they want guys to be prepared and to not be predictable (most teams probably have a good grasp on what we may do if James is in there), sometimes execution and talent can trump the preparation of the other team. A well designed screen pass to LMJ should easily go for a first down, if not more.
James needs more touches but not at the expense of Gore. Gore is still the man. james should get some passes thrown to him and screens, delay runs, end arounds, etc. they drafted him for his speed but they dont use him like a speed back most of the time.
Why give touches to a guy that dose nothing when he dose get tha ball ??? He's just like Reggie Bush in his rookie year he think his speed will do it all N its NOT !!! Gore tha man tha dude sits back N lets tha O-line open up a hole N then he's gone ...Till James larns to slow down he'll be riding tha pine ...
I'd sure like to us get this guy the ball in some open space.. I'm sure he can produce better than our WR's have done so far.
  • Liono
I want to see him get more playing time to, he's not by any means a powerful runner like Gore, but he's explosive, and a big play threat. To people who say he hasn't shown anything in the NFL, not sure what you mean. He's averaging 4.6 yards per carry, and we'e seen how fast he is. I'd like to see the niners use him in the passing game too, or as a kick returner, assuming he doesn't have a muffing problem, he'd be better than Williams.
It would be interesting to note how many of his runs result in 2 yards or less versus Gore and Hunter. Granted the sample size is much larger than the other two, but as much as I want to see LMJ play more, there is some room for lots of growth as a runner.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Hunter is so much better than LMJ anyway at running right now. I think LMJ can do some things and since we wanna be a power run team I figure he should get a few more chances. He needs some catches in space tho. Anybody who can catch the ball would help.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
It would be interesting to note how many of his runs result in 2 yards or less versus Gore and Hunter. Granted the sample size is much larger than the other two, but as much as I want to see LMJ play more, there is some room for lots of growth as a runner.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/play_finder.cgi?request=1&match=summary_all&year_min=&year_max=&team_id=&opp_id=&game_type=R&playoff_round=&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&week_num_min=0&week_num_max=99&quarter=1&quarter=2&quarter=3&quarter=4&quarter=5&tr_gtlt=lt&minutes=15&seconds=00&down=0&down=1&down=2&down=3&down=4&ytg_gtlt=gt&yds_to_go=&yg_gtlt=gt&yards=&is_first_down=-1&fp_gtlt=gt&fp_tm_opp=team&fp_ydline=&type=PASS&type=RUSH&is_turnover=-1&is_scoring=-1&no_play=0&game_day_of_week=&game_location=&game_result=&margin_min=&margin_max=&order_by=yards&rusher_id=JameLa00

breaks down all his career runs
Use LMJ the way New Orleans uses Darren Sproles.
I would like to see him used more creatively. IMO, we need to get him in space, because he doesn't have the vision or strength to be a between the tackles runner at this point in his career. I don't care what his YPC say, he's basically been used for garbage time this year.