There are 183 users in the forums

LaMichael James was a Niner (CUT!)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
can you spell LeMichael James ?

yes....LaMichael James
I hope so, but what I think we should do on offense vs. what Harbaugh / Roman do on offense varies.
[ Edited by NinerBuff on May 31, 2013 at 9:37 AM ]
Originally posted by NinerFan408:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Hate to burst your bubble, but nobody has returned to 100% after an Achilles rupture.

Demaryius Thomas of Denver says hello.......

Season Team Receiving Rushing Fumbles
G GS Rec Yds Avg Lng TD Att Yds Avg Lng TD FUM Lost
2012 Denver Broncos 16 16 94 1,434 15.3 71T 10 -- -- -- -- -- 3 3

Yea . . . well he did that while being at 90% of his original self.

Would have done a lot better if he had not had that Achilles tear. Imagine.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Hate to burst your bubble, but nobody has returned to 100% after an Achilles rupture.

People keep doubting modern medicine . The rules have changed.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
I'm excited for him, but he needs to get better hands. If his ball security is anything like it was last year then he's gonna cost us points. He had 50 or 60 touches over the season and playoffs, yet he fumbled twice, and nearly fumbled another handful of times. I can only remember specifically the near fumbles vs. the Patriots and Falcons, but I'm pretty sure there were a couple more. He needs to work on that more than anything else, but it he develops good ball security he should be a stud. Hunter's still my boy though!
LOVE LMJ!!! Watched his entire collegiate career and he's a true home run hitter from the backfield. People knock his size, but he came into the league at 195, the same as Ray Rice. Now that he's up to 205, he's at Shady McCoy weight. I love his explosiveness when he returns kicks ( he saved our asses in the NE game ), and I love the battle for extra yards when he's in at RB. If he can add the punt return duties to the back of his card, he could be a dynamic weapon for us.

BBBBUUUUUTTTTT

Couple things.....

1. The backfield is loaded. Gore is not going to give up the Iron Throne this year unless he suffers an injury. Even if he does, Hunter looked like the best back out of the 3 last year. Both have college experience in the read option/shotgun formation. If Hunter is all the way back, which I think he will be by the time camp opens, he will def be getting a lot of #2 carries this year. If Gore went down in week 1 last year and Hunter stayed healthy, he would have rushed for 1200 yards and we would be singing his praises. There's too many mouths to feed for a true breakout, **baring an injury**.

2. The 9ers offense does not throw it to backs. If James were in NO, or Philly, or Chicago, or Balt, or Tampa, or Clev, or SD, or NE, or...OK, let me stop there, basically if he was on 90% of other teams, we could consider him a possible breakout by being a receiver out of the backfield. That is not the case in SF. I mentioned this in another thread, we just do not throw it to backs. Harbs didn't do it at Stanford and we have not done it since he took over in SF. Those passes go to the TE's, not the backs. Unless there is a major shift in offensive philosophy, James will never see that many touches. It sucks because I think he would be a major threat one on one with a backer, but its not gonna happen.

So the question is, what do you mean by breakout year? A Darren Sproles to NO with 2000 all purpose yards??? A Cobb like breakout with him being a threat as a receiver out of the backfield with some runs mixed in?

Its hard because LMJ could easily match Jacquizz Rodgers production from last year with 1400 all purpose yards, but Rodgers did that on 53 catches for 402 yards, LMJ wont come close to that mark. I think LMJ best bet for a breakout is to be a monster in the return game.

If he does what David Wilson did last year ( led the league in kick return yards at 1533 + 358yards rushing ) I think that would be considered a breakout. I know many would not agree with that, but it would be based on LMJs circumstances.

What if he ends up with Josh Cribbs numbers....1178 KR, 457 PR, 0 TD. Would we consider that to be a breakout? 3rd in the NFL in KR and 2nd in PR? I think that would be a breakout, but again, not many would agree with that.

So really, what do you consider a breakout???
I sure hope it is. LMJ is the prototype RB for the unstoppable Pistol scheme!
LMJ has all the tools necessary to be our version of Percy Harvin. He can go out of the slot, can run inside and outside, return kicks - the guy has great speed.

I have a feeling this is Gore's last year with the team.
Originally posted by midrdan:
LMJ has all the tools necessary to be our version of Percy Harvin. He can go out of the slot, can run inside and outside, return kicks - the guy has great speed.

I have a feeling this is Gore's last year with the team.

I feel like this is a common misconception about LMJ, he had 17 receptions each of his 3 seasons at Oregon.
James will suffer for being multi-functional. He may return punts, line up as a receiver and in the backfield; which will mean many will under value his talent as happened to Faulk...until he did it over time and accumulated impressive all purpose yards. Perhaps the journalists have awakened to these guys now.

I hope they have him working on the playbook and moving him out to receiver. I would love to see a LB try to cover him out of the slot or on routs out of the backfield.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
James will suffer for being multi-functional. He may return punts, line up as a receiver and in the backfield; which will mean many will under value his talent as happened to Faulk...until he did it over time and accumulated impressive all purpose yards. Perhaps the journalists have awakened to these guys now.

I think suffer is too strong of a word. If LMJ can be a Sproles / Faulk type player, that would AWESOME! Nevermind his stats not impressing the media. Having a guy like that was huge for Warner and still is a huge key for Brees.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
I think suffer is too strong of a word. If LMJ can be a Sproles / Faulk type player, that would AWESOME! Nevermind his stats not impressing the media. Having a guy like that was huge for Warner and still is a huge key for Brees.

Yes, I was referring to his press only. He may not make the pro bowl, etc. due to Gore or others taking so many carries from the backfield. His career may last longer though if he doesn't take the every down pounding.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:

And if my aunt had a d*ck she'd be my uncle... the point was that if Hunter is healthy he is better, but Im not hating on LMJ either. I want all the RBs to tear it up on the field next season.
he's going to have to learn to pass protect if he expects to see substantial time on the field.
Share 49ersWebzone