LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 149 users in the forums

LaMichael James was a Niner (CUT!)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by titan:
^ You must have missed games last year! When he taptap on his head on critical downs. When he got taken down with a one hand tackle. When he goes to the ground on 3rd or 4th and 1. When he looked like he is out of breath on some plays and it's only 1st qtr. that's not the Gore we extended.

This thread is about LaMike, but to close on the Gore comment...Frank has as much or more heart than anyone on the team, but there's no denying he's been beat up over the years and is on the downside of his career. As Lowell George said,

"And you know that you're over the hill
When your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill."

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...
ok so i know wikipedia isnt a reliable source for information but i was wondering if LMJ had chose his number yet and when i looked on his wikipedia page it said he was #24.... but that is dixons number... now it could be true and only used for camp untill other numbers are available from cuts but i was wondering if anyone had heard different?
I have been running on straight adrenaline since we made this pick, and that was like over 40 hours ago

I always thought that Patrick Willis would be my favorite 49er for the next decade, but now with LMJ on the team, I'm not so sure. I've watched single one of his games since his Freshman year (my freshman year at U of O as well) and this kid is the real deal. He made a solid Pac-12 defenses look like high schoolers every single weekend.
[ Edited by OregonDuckNiner on Apr 29, 2012 at 11:01 AM ]
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for DirtyP.
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
This thread is about LaMike, but to close on the Gore comment...Frank has as much or more heart than anyone on the team, but there's no denying he's been beat up over the years and is on the downside of his career. As Lowell George said,

"And you know that you're over the hill
When your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill."

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

Frank Gore was one of the elite backs in the league last year. Numbers back it up, team success backs it up.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Why is James forty time so slow? Dudes not even faster than Gore was coming out of college.

It's all about game speed ( and right now he is much faster than Gore), and he is a bit faster than Hunter. Now Alex has 'check-down' insurance.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
People keep saying that.....the team thinks gore is done, hunter is pushed aside, etc.

LaMichael James adds a lot of speed to the backfield. I can totally see how his style works with the team and he probably will take Ted Ginn's spot on the team as a quick slot guy who returns punts, runs the fly sweep and can bust big plays for us.

The only reason he got drafted so low is because of his size, if he was a little bigger my god all of the draft guys would be saying we got a steal. Also he's a great compliment to what we have. Sometimes it depends on what goes best with your team.

Not to mention he is a high character dude. Hey it's not a bad thing to get depth. Quality Depth breeds competition.

Now other teams are going to have a tougher time game planning for us.

Agree that the guy who's really threatened by this pick is Ginn, not Gore. If LMJ can be developed as a punt/kick returner (and he sure has the talent for it) then we can suit him as a special teamer on game days and have him available as a 4th option at running back. Meanwhile, Jenkins takes Ginn's spot and we've got 4 quality WR's on game day (I'm assuming Moss, Manningham, Crabtree, and Jenkins).

Next year LMJ can compete for a spot at RB. Gore will be another year older and Hunter and LMJ will be in direct competition. This year, though, Gore will be our #1 with Hunter and Jacobs hopefully sharing more of the load.
4th option at RB? no way dude i think Gore is the 1 and hunter and LMJ will be interchangeable as the 2nd back. jacobs may not make the team and if he does he'll only be for like 3rd and inches type plays. LMJ is too valuable as a threat to sit on the bench. theyre gonna find ways to get him on the field any way they can. this guys game speed is off the charts
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
4th option at RB? no way dude i think Gore is the 1 and hunter and LMJ will be interchangeable as the 2nd back. jacobs may not make the team and if he does he'll only be for like 3rd and inches type plays. LMJ is too valuable as a threat to sit on the bench. theyre gonna find ways to get him on the field any way they can. this guys game speed is off the charts

I think Hunter's way ahead in the playbook and his ability to handle the blocking assignments. LMJ may be valuable as a threat, but rookies don't get on the field until they prove they can block. Year two might be a different story, but right now Hunter's got the advantage. Agree that Jacobs is a wild card and might not even make the roster. Depends on which Jacobs you get. If he's the guy from a couple years ago, he'll be on the field a lot.

It all comes down to what Harbaugh always preaches: competition at the position. We've got five guys in the mix and only three spots. My money's on Gore, Hunter, and Jacobs. I think LMJ makes the squad as a Special Teamer and gets spot duty as a RB and slot receiver.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
I knew the 49ers love short man run like Lamichael James was size 5'8 and weights too well. I love the short man for only RB.. I was right..

My nigha Buzz!

Where u been bruh

Lol. I went to travel when i was vaction.. ..
This pick shows that Baalke is not afraid to use a high pick on a smaller player with huge ability...He would have taken Desean! (Still bitter)

Unofficial Niner 2012 motto: "WE FAST"
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
I knew the 49ers love short man run like Lamichael James was size 5'8 and weights too well. I love the short man for only RB.. I was right..

My nigha Buzz!

Where u been bruh
Lol.
  • flow
  • Veteran
Could someone tell me about James' ball security skills? If he's returning punts, there is no way we can handle another fumble; it would be almost traumatic to watch.
Originally posted by flow:
Could someone tell me about James' ball security skills? If he's returning punts, there is no way we can handle another fumble; it would be almost traumatic to watch.

Twelve fumbles in his college career, three last year.

In an article published yesterday Harbaugh was quoted as saying he'll need to improve his hands before he assumes return duties.
  • flow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Originally posted by flow:

Twelve fumbles in his college career, three last year.

In an article published yesterday Harbaugh was quoted as saying he'll need to improve his hands before he assumes return duties.

Share 49ersWebzone